UK DIESEL PRICES.

No its an unplanned weekend a way..........its not a holiday......I've just come back from a holiday.

The coffee and price is a saying / a remark / a statement about the rising costs....do not take it literally
I’m no clearer than your coffee that isn’t a coffee, but I’m fairly sure that’s my fault, it usually is.
 
"Have Van will use it" is my moto, unfortunately lots of thing stop me, like work, family commitments etc, Diesel prices won't. If I have free time then we go.

Its a pain nobody likes paying more for the same amount, but it is what it is. I still work anyway so have less opportunity than some but hope to do more trips when I do retire (fingers crossed!). I worry more about the price of a pint to be honest!.
 
So in the old days we would say the price of bread and milk is really expensive....now we can't, because we have so many different variants of bread and milk. So its hard to compare....however a coffee is a simple item, the takeaway element makes it even simpler for comparison... a cup / a lid / hot water / coffee / milk

Lets just say it was a benchmark a few years back for the cost of living that is now being exceeded in places. That said, I haven't yet paid £5 for a takeaway coffee and if we were having this conversation a few years back, I wouldn't have . Now I probably would because I know the additional costs that have been placed onto small businesses

Back in July I was in Wales (motorbike) and the cafe advised me that the takeaway coffees that I had ordered were the most expensive on the menu.....she was just letting me know, due to previous feedback and negative responses....how much are we talking about? I was thinking £6 to £7 each..... its only a flat white. £4.20......that's cool. To me that wasn't expensive, but to the locals that was.
 
If only we could get the hound to chip in we’d be laughing.
Put the hound to work on YT, IG, FB and TikTok. You'll be raking it in with enough left over after filling up to pay for a chauffeur.
 
So in the old days we would say the price of bread and milk is really expensive....now we can't, because we have so many different variants of bread and milk. So its hard to compare....however a coffee is a simple item, the takeaway element makes it even simpler for comparison... a cup / a lid / hot water / coffee / milk

Lets just say it was a benchmark a few years back for the cost of living that is now being exceeded in places. That said, I haven't yet paid £5 for a takeaway coffee and if we were having this conversation a few years back, I wouldn't have . Now I probably would because I know the additional costs that have been placed onto small businesses

Back in July I was in Wales (motorbike) and the cafe advised me that the takeaway coffees that I had ordered were the most expensive on the menu.....she was just letting me know, due to previous feedback and negative responses....how much are we talking about? I was thinking £6 to £7 each..... it’s only a flat white. £4.20......that's cool. To me that wasn't expensive, but to the locals that was.
“However, coffee is a simple item”. I refer you to the several coffee threads on this forum alone…
 
I knew someone would bring that up.....Lol

I thought breaking down the key elements would have deterred that, but did stumble on milk or no milk, semi skinned, full fat , oat, and all those syrups you see behind the bar...
 
Well at least Mrs Lohr500 has returned home from Tesco with an "8p off per litre" fuel voucher.
 
I predict a huge drop in the price of diesel coming in Wednesday next week.

Having resisted for as long as I can we’ve replaced the wife’s diesel Mercedes GLC with an electric Volvo.

Us not spending over £600 a month at the pumps will cause prices to crash!
 
I noticed that camping at the Haven sites are quite cheap off seasons ...... but that's really low for a caravan........
Butlin’s chalets (sleep 6) are available off season Monday - Thursday £49.00 including use of pool etc. cheaper than staying at home.
 
I knew someone would bring that up.....Lol

I thought breaking down the key elements would have deterred that, but did stumble on milk or no milk, semi skinned, full fat , oat, and all those syrups you see behind the bar...
I think McDonald’s Big Mac is the universal reference price rather than coffee. The Economist publishes the Big Mac Index to measure purchasing power around the world
 
I’m surprised no one has mentioned beer!

Approximately 4 x the price of diesel :eek:

I’d say that make diesel look much better value for money :thumb

Note: I am only referring to the price of a pint in a pub, which many are quite happy to do (I don’t)
 
What do you have to do to get one of those? Other than shop at Tesco, which we don’t :).
Spend £60 in a single shop.
Then a barcode voucher for the fuel discount prints off at the till when you pay.
Maximum discount £8.00, so 100 litres.
Valid until 24th October.

I may sit tight on the voucher for a few days and see if prices do drop through next week.
 
I’m surprised no one has mentioned beer!

Approximately 4 x the price of diesel :eek:

I’d say that make diesel look much better value for money :thumb

Note: I am only referring to the price of a pint in a pub, which many are quite happy to do (I don’t)

My God, you’ve cracked it, what a useful comparison.
If McEwans Light was 9p per pint in new money in 1970, which it was, Google tells me that diesel was 7p per litre.
Now beer £5 plus ( except in Spoons ) Diesel £2. It’s cheap !
 
I think McDonald’s Big Mac is the universal reference price rather than coffee. The Economist publishes the Big Mac Index to measure purchasing power around the world

We went to St Ives in van beginning of September. There are no Greggs or McDonalds in St Ives and all the better for it so no direct Big Mac comparison but a Cornish Pasty was £5.45.
Beer £6 a pint.
£100 each way for Shell v Power diesel.
£330 for a week at Polmanter campsite.

So not a cheap trip but you know what, it was probably the best week away we’ve had.
So whatever the price of Big Macs, Coffee, Beer, Deisel, Campsites, we’ll just carry on as before.
 
Spend £60 in a single shop.
Then a barcode voucher for the fuel discount prints off at the till when you pay.
Maximum discount £8.00, so 100 litres.
Valid until 24th October.

I may sit tight on the voucher for a few days and see if prices do drop through next week.
So, to follow that through with rough figures - please check.
On a 60l fill-up (if you’re like me) you will save 60x£0.08, or £4.80 (at £2 per litre). As long as your £60 basket of shopping can’t be bought for £55.20 or less it will be worthwhile going to Tesco when you need to fill-up, assuming you have a branch local to you. I’m sure that regular Lidl and Aldi shoppers will think that they can do better. I can’t say.
 
So, to follow that through with rough figures - please check.
On a 60l fill-up (if you’re like me) you will save 60x£0.08, or £4.80 (at £2 per litre). As long as your £60 basket of shopping can’t be bought for £55.20 or less it will be worthwhile going to Tesco when you need to fill-up, assuming you have a branch local to you. I’m sure that regular Lidl and Aldi shoppers will think that they can do better. I can’t say.

Go to Tesco but stick to the Aldi Price Match stuff to be on the safe side.
 
Bugger. Just completed an order on Beersniffers. It came to just over £100.
We’re off to the pub at lunchtime.

Should I have bought diesel instead?
 
I predict a huge drop in the price of diesel coming in Wednesday next week.

Having resisted for as long as I can we’ve replaced the wife’s diesel Mercedes GLC with an electric Volvo.

Us not spending over £600 a month at the pumps will cause prices to crash!
Very good of you to take one for the team
 
I think McDonald’s Big Mac is the universal reference price rather than coffee. The Economist publishes the Big Mac Index to measure purchasing power around the world
Are you sure it’s not Waitrose Essentials Truffle Oil? Which coincidentally can be filtered and used instead of diesel, it’ll knacker the DPF but at least it’ll smell fragrant whilst you wait for the AA.
 
I predict a huge drop in the price of diesel coming in Wednesday next week.

Having resisted for as long as I can we’ve replaced the wife’s diesel Mercedes GLC with an electric Volvo.

Us not spending over £600 a month at the pumps will cause prices to crash!
Rough calc on that says your Mrs is driving somewhere between 100 and 150 miles/day?

I think she needs to change a bit more than the car???
 
Bugger. Just completed an order on Beersniffers. It came to just over £100.
We’re off to the pub at lunchtime.

Should I have bought diesel instead?

Never. Get your priorities right.
 
My God, you’ve cracked it, what a useful comparison.
If McEwans Light was 9p per pint in new money in 1970, which it was, Google tells me that diesel was 7p per litre.
Now beer £5 plus ( except in Spoons ) Diesel £2. It’s cheap !
Buying beer in a UK supermarket typically costs between £1.00 and £1.50 per pint-equivalent when purchased in multi-packs. Budget options drop as low as £0.75 to £1.00 per can, while single large premium bottles or craft beers generally cost between £2.00 and £3.15

Now if we took our cars to the pub then I would expect fuel to be more expensive. Poor comparison I'm afraid.

You also forget the tax element. Look who takes the biggest cut

    • Beer / Brewery Cost: ~£1.31
    • Staff Wages: ~£1.17
    • Government Tax (VAT + Beer Duty): ~£1.39 – £1.50 per pint (54p beer duty plus 20% VAT)
    • Pub Overheads, Utilities & Business Rates: ~0.79p
    • Average Net Profit for the Pub: Just 12p to 23p per pint
 
Buying beer in a UK supermarket typically costs between £1.00 and £1.50 per pint-equivalent when purchased in multi-packs. Budget options drop as low as £0.75 to £1.00 per can, while single large premium bottles or craft beers generally cost between £2.00 and £3.15

Now if we took our cars to the pub then I would expect fuel to be more expensive. Poor comparison I'm afraid.

You also forget the tax element. Look who takes the biggest cut

    • Beer / Brewery Cost: ~£1.31
    • Staff Wages: ~£1.17
    • Government Tax (VAT + Beer Duty): ~£1.39 – £1.50 per pint (54p beer duty plus 20% VAT)
    • Pub Overheads, Utilities & Business Rates: ~0.79p
    • Average Net Profit for the Pub: Just 12p to 23p per pint
I really don’t care, I did say I was referring to beer in a pub (because that is what many people do, especially when they might have got there or nearby in their Cali).

And whilst we’re at it, I couldn’t care less about the price of coffee because I won’t pay that either (why when I can actually make my own?). Also you have been referring to take away coffee so I would suggest my beer comparison was completely valid.

I think this whole subject is being taken too seriously now……… I’m just gonna pop out on the Cali for a pint followed by a take away cappuccino on the way home :D :D
 
Last edited:
Back
Top