Over filling with Adblue

Nottledim

Nottledim

VIP Member
Messages
216
Location
Shropshire
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
I think I have added too much adblue to the adblue tank and the dashboard still says I need to add adblue. Do I just wait till the level drops or have I broken the level monitor?
 
I think I have added too much adblue to the adblue tank and the dashboard still says I need to add adblue. Do I just wait till the level drops or have I broken the level monitor?
Why do you think you have added too much?
 
The dash said max fill 3.5 litres I added 5 there was no overflow or puddle so I’m sure it all went in
 
I don't think you have a problem - I always fill mine up until the valve on the dispenser stops the flow - never had a problem.
 
The dash said max fill 3.5 litres I added 5 there was no overflow or puddle so I’m sure it all went in
I don't think it resets immediately but after a few miles driving. I cannot confirm as I don't have a T6.
Also, on some VW vehicles it is suggested Turning just the Ignition On for 1 minute and then Off for 1 minute then start normally.
If it doesn't clear then its the Dealer I'm afraid.
 
I’m just concerned that I don’t know the level in the tank if the warning display always says adblue range 1000 miles even when it’s full or over full.

I did the ignition off and on and I have driven about 60 miles so far so yes it’s off to the dealers.

I quite like Hereford.
 
I’m just concerned that I don’t know the level in the tank if the warning display always says adblue range 1000 miles even when it’s full or over full.

I did the ignition off and on and I have driven about 60 miles so far so yes it’s off to the dealers.

I quite like Hereford.
There are reports of them failing on other Adblue vehicles but not many at all on the T6.
 
I’ve not overfilled mine (yet) but I’d imagine it’s more likely to just make your shoes wet rather than damage anything.

If the MFD didn’t reset after a drive & a couple of key on / off cycles then I’d take it to a Dealer too.
 
Separating the issues...
Like the water tank and the fuel tank, I don't understand how you could over fill the ad-blue tank without it coming out of the filler neck? I appreciate with engine oil you could put too much in but this is because of all the moving thingyamyjigs, changing temperatures and pressures when running. But the afore mentioned are just tanks... or at least the water and fuel tanks are anyway. Maybe there is something I'm missing about the adblue?

So dare I ask if you put it in the right filler? sorry if that sounds basic, just checking.
Getting it wrong would also account for the level monitor not moving.

If you have put it in the right filler neck then it sounds like you have a fault with the monitoring system. No idea how that works though.
 
Valve on the dispenser? I guess you mean at a forecourt. I fill mine up from a 20 litre container with a funnel and judge how much I put in. Dash display updates accordingly. A lot cheaper too.
http://www.distribution365.co.uk/pr...fu0ccgIrPGpTDVIbJkfnZ8fK8zKhPOgphEaAkjl8P8HAQ
No I don’t mean a forecourt. I bought a smaller bottle from Halfords that came with a valve based dispenser. I then fill that smaller bottle up from larger 20L containers of Adblue as per your suggestion. That way I get a controlled fill that auto shuts off when it’s full avoiding spillages. Hope that helps!
 
Sometimes its a good idea to read the manual ;-)

In this case (from memory) it states that, after filling AdBlue, you turn the key one step. Wait for the AdBlue level indicator to sort. Then start the engine. Or turn of ignition again. I don't have the manual her, so I do not know about overfilling (only that it is a problem if you overfill engine oil - but that is a whole different story).
 
Mine is listed in gallons not litres when I get to about 400 miles range left the dash tells me to + adblue min 1.25 gallons and max 2.25 gallons so fill with 10litre bottle no pumps near home. I always thought there is an issue if you over fill as why would there be a maximum on the dash.
 
I think I have added too much adblue to the adblue tank and the dashboard still says I need to add adblue. Do I just wait till the level drops or have I broken the level monitor?
After filling with adblue you must turn on the ignition and wait a minimum of 30 seconds before starting the engine.
Also there is a minimum fill of 7 litres for it to register.
 
No I don’t mean a forecourt. I bought a smaller bottle from Halfords that came with a valve based dispenser. I then fill that smaller bottle up from larger 20L containers of Adblue as per your suggestion. That way I get a controlled fill that auto shuts off when it’s full avoiding spillages. Hope that helps!
Yes, helps thanks. I have to confess that when the dash display says fill up with a min and a max numbers of litres I put in approx the mid point by guess work to avoid spillages. Been OK so far! Famous last words!!
 
Just filled up today 14l cost free. Chap said he take payment next time. For the first time it's showing as 6000 miles. It's always shown a max of 4500 miles before.
 
Just filled up today 14l cost free. Chap said he take payment next time. For the first time it's showing as 6000 miles. It's always shown a max of 4500 miles before.
6000 miles? Must be code for careful driver!!
 
Filling up at the forecourt is much cheaper.....on average less than 60ppl

I use a truck dealer, Thompson Commercials, a Renault truck dealer. May be worth looking for something similar in you area?
 
I have a 2018 T6 Ocean that I’ve had from new. It now has 40k miles on the clock. In June the display said 3,500 miles of AdBlue. Since then, I have done 2,000 miles and the display says 1,400 miles AdBlue remaining. I topped up with about 5 litres but the display didn’t change even after driving. I put more in until it overflowed but the display still didn’t update. I took it to a VW specialist who said I need a new tank because the level sensor has failed. However, the sensor has correctly recorded the drop in level so it seems to be working but it won’t register when I add more AdBlue. Has anyone else had this problem?
 
I have a 2018 T6 Ocean that I’ve had from new. It now has 40k miles on the clock. In June the display said 3,500 miles of AdBlue. Since then, I have done 2,000 miles and the display says 1,400 miles AdBlue remaining. I topped up with about 5 litres but the display didn’t change even after driving. I put more in until it overflowed but the display still didn’t update. I took it to a VW specialist who said I need a new tank because the level sensor has failed. However, the sensor has correctly recorded the drop in level so it seems to be working but it won’t register when I add more AdBlue. Has anyone else had this problem?
I have the same problem - feels like I put 5L in but it didn’t clear. So put a full 10 L in yesterday ( didn’t fill or overflow) and it has still not cleared the displays. Now down to 350 miles before no engine start. Spoke to a couple of independents who straight away said this was a common fault and needs a new tank £1590-2000! For a faulty sensor…. Feels like another ripoff for a common Vw problem that they acknowledge but refuse to do anything about…
 
I have the same problem - feels like I put 5L in but it didn’t clear. So put a full 10 L in yesterday ( didn’t fill or overflow) and it has still not cleared the displays. Now down to 350 miles before no engine start. Spoke to a couple of independents who straight away said this was a common fault and needs a new tank £1590-2000! For a faulty sensor…. Feels like another ripoff for a common Vw problem that they acknowledge but refuse to do anything about…
Is it such a common problem on Commercial VW Transporters that are averaging 10 to 20,000 miles/ year or more common on Campervan versions averaging less than 10,000 mile/year?
 
I have the same problem - feels like I put 5L in but it didn’t clear. So put a full 10 L in yesterday ( didn’t fill or overflow) and it has still not cleared the displays. Now down to 350 miles before no engine start. Spoke to a couple of independents who straight away said this was a common fault and needs a new tank £1590-2000! For a faulty sensor…. Feels like another ripoff for a common Vw problem that they acknowledge but refuse to do anything about…

Where is the costs from: VW Main Dealer or indie ?

Please report back on progress to help others.
 
I have the same problem - feels like I put 5L in but it didn’t clear. So put a full 10 L in yesterday ( didn’t fill or overflow) and it has still not cleared the displays. Now down to 350 miles before no engine start. Spoke to a couple of independents who straight away said this was a common fault and needs a new tank £1590-2000! For a faulty sensor…. Feels like another ripoff for a common Vw problem that they acknowledge but refuse to do anything about…
The independent VW specialist garage that I went to quoted £1,100 +VAT for a new tank but said he couldn’t get one, even from VW in Germany. He had one on back order but could get no delivery date!
 

Similar threads

R
Replies
11
Views
4K
RedWhiteMonkey
R
john eagle
Replies
45
Views
14K
Amarillo
Amarillo
Meoncoast
Replies
63
Views
21K
Gilesplus
Gilesplus
Back
Top