pricing info for the two main clubs please

chockswahay

chockswahay

Super Poster
VIP Member
Messages
1,905
Location
Kernow
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
Hi team, I have been looking at the two main camping club websites and notice that the CAMC don't state CL prices for non members whereas the CACC do show CS prices. Does anyone here who are members of both have any opinion on how the two clubs compare either in terms of value for money or choice and availability please?

I know it is a case of 'pays yer money and takes yer choice' but at this stage (before joining) I don't really have enough detail to make an informed choice.

Many thanks :thumb
 
We started our Cali live in 2012 for the 1st 2 years we in both clubs,then just in the CAMC. However after lockdown we did not renew. Now we only use independent sites. I think I got a little more laid-back and found the CAMC just too regimental.check in times seem to have got later as well. We now use both large sites and very small sites without links to the big clubs. The price of independent seems about the same price as the clubs. (we do not use clubs with clubhouse etc)
 
Hi team, I have been looking at the two main camping club websites and notice that the CAMC don't state CL prices for non members whereas the CACC do show CS prices. Does anyone here who are members of both have any opinion on how the two clubs compare either in terms of value for money or choice and availability please?

I know it is a case of 'pays yer money and takes yer choice' but at this stage (before joining) I don't really have enough detail to make an informed choice.

Many thanks :thumb
My experience is that the main CAMC sites are run and managed to a high standard but are not cheap. CLs are more random and cheaper. CAMC are great for caravans and Motorhomes but not so much for tents.
My limited experience of CACC is that the one we booked refunded our payment as the showers and loos stopped working and wouldn't be repaired till end of season so that put me off a bit. They are better for vans and tents apparently.
Not sure about deductions for membership but I think the CAMC reckon you only need to book about 4-5 nights before you get your membership value repaid in savings.
I probably didn't answer your questions! :rolleyes:
 
We started our Cali live in 2012 for the 1st 2 years we in both clubs,then just in the CAMC. However after lockdown we did not renew. Now we only use independent sites. I think I got a little more laid-back and found the CAMC just too regimental.check in times seem to have got later as well. We now use both large sites and very small sites without links to the big clubs. The price of independent seems about the same price as the clubs. (we do not use clubs with clubhouse etc)
I agree, we use more independent sites than CAMC sites. We tend to look at areas on Google maps the type in Camping and review the sites shown. Worked well in Italy and now pleasing results in Norway.
 
From my experience I was always in the wrong one!

Each year we have signed up, we end up finding sites that suit the trip that aren't in that membership. Or we have the wrong one despite having both at separate times.

The best thing to do is look at the definite trips you will make in the next 12 months, have a look at how you would plan that trip and if the membership is necessary for it. Or if there is a specific site that you want to go to.

Now we dont use either. There are 2 sites where the membership would benefit us. 1 of them we might go once a year and now just pay the full non discounted price for the ease as non members can go.

The other is the site really close to York City centre, we have never been able to book on as we are competing with more organised members who as far as I can tell book slots on site at the start of the year incase they go, and use the free cancellation.

This year we did national trust and use it for day van trips, we have had much better value from that.
 
The only CAMC CL we’ve stayed at is Eels Foot Inn in Suffolk. It was £20/ night, but stated it was only available for CAMC members. Don’t know if that’s a common thing or not. Which CAMC CLs are you interested in? I’ll do a quick price check - as a member.
 
The only CAMC CL we’ve stayed at is Eels Foot Inn in Suffolk. It was £20/ night, but stated it was only available for CAMC members. Don’t know if that’s a common thing or not. Which CAMC CLs are you interested in? I’ll do a quick price check - as a member.
Thanks Hawthorn, as an example I'd be interested in CL's near Lyme Regis and a few around the Norfolk Broads (PM me if you would prefer) Cheers :thumb
 
Hi team, thank you for your comments so far. I should have stated that I am not really too bothered about the main club sites, just the very small ones. What is important to us is the ability to go 'last minute' when and where we like (which is why we love the Aire network in France). Once upon a time we would 'wild camp' (haha) anywhere in the UK but nowadays it is just too fraught and does not lead to a good night sleep.

Cheers
 
Thanks Hawthorn, as an example I'd be interested in CL's near Lyme Regis and a few around the Norfolk Broads (PM me if you would prefer) Cheers :thumb
Both locations have CLs priced from £10 minimum, to a maximum of £24 per night. The average is £19 to £22. The cheaper ones don’t have electric hook up.

There doesn’t seem to be any difference between CACC and CAMC in terms of price. It appears that CAMC CLs are a bit more numerous in the locations.

You’re not able to use CLs if you’re not a member of the relevant club. £69 plus joining fee for CAMC and £57 for CACC.
 
Hi team, I have been looking at the two main camping club websites and notice that the CAMC don't state CL prices for non members whereas the CACC do show CS prices. Does anyone here who are members of both have any opinion on how the two clubs compare either in terms of value for money or choice and availability please?

I know it is a case of 'pays yer money and takes yer choice' but at this stage (before joining) I don't really have enough detail to make an informed choice.

Many thanks :thumb

We have been members of both clubs since we got the van. For a nominal annual price we have used them both enough times for it to work. With CACC we also get 10% off Chunnel which saves the fee almost immediately.

They are both well managed and well run sites, especially the club managed ones.

Some people are sniffy about one or the other and others baulk at the cost.

We prefer to have a good base, well run location and decent facilities. We like campervanning, not cr@pping in buckets in pub stop carparks or and hiding behind nets in laybys
 
Both locations have CLs priced from £10 minimum, to a maximum of £24 per night. The average is £19 to £22. The cheaper ones don’t have electric hook up.

There doesn’t seem to be any difference between CACC and CAMC in terms of price. It appears that CAMC CLs are a bit more numerous in the locations.

You’re not able to use CLs if you’re not a member of the relevant club. £69 plus joining fee for CAMC and £57 for CACC.
Thanks @Hawthorn37 for taking the time and trouble to do this, much appreciated :thumb As you say, looks like not much in it.
 
So then team, thanks again for all replies. I think we will have to 'bite the bullet' and join both clubs, then find out for ourselves which suits us best :thumb
 
just to add to this thread - we have been members of both on and off since getting our van in 2018, but now only camping and caravanning club. The club run sites are always tidy and well run and often available at short notice mid week outside of high season. The real benefit of membership is access to the CL site network which often offers quiet sites away from the crowds but in great locations while some will let you stay without membership a lot ask for your membership number before taking a booking.
 
Members of both as well.......CAMC also do a discount off FE membership (which I missed). CCC does have a few sites that we like, hence we've continued the membership and benefited from the 125yr discount this year. CAMC are typically more expensive, but will do one night stops. I've insured my motorhome with CAMC and it was circa £300 cheaper then market. Similarly I no longer use CCC for the California's insurance as they were £250 more than market

CAMC offering free nights as well this year with new membership.
 
In my experience I have found CCC European offer to be a bit weaker than that of CMC. With the latter I have been able to book Dutch and German sites through the CMC months before direct booking is available and at discounted prices.
If the OP is looking for affiliated European sites then this could be a deal breaker.
I have just failed to renew with CCC after over 10 years for this reason (and I could scream when the showers close at 10:30 for two hours for cleaning).
 
So then team, thanks again for all replies. I think we will have to 'bite the bullet' and join both clubs, then find out for ourselves which suits us best :thumb
I’d choose the club that has the best CLs where you’re going.
 
I'm not a current member but there are "Recommend a friend" incentives to both clubs that benefit both parties. Surprised no-one has offered this yet. Links below for anyone interested in helping @chockswahay


 
I'm not a current member but there are "Recommend a friend" incentives to both clubs that benefit both parties. Surprised no-one has offered this yet. Links below for anyone interested in helping @chockswahay


Great stuff! thanks @larrylamb :thumb @Hawthorn37 you up for it? :)
 
Back
Top