Oil leak, no appts to fix until mid Oct

K

Katie Jones

VIP Member
Messages
45
Our 6.1 cali is ionly 30 months old, still under warranty.
I needed to go away in it in 2 weeks but garage can only look at it in mid Oct.
Does anyone have any ideas??
We are in Cumbria.
It has been smelling of oil inside the van but oil level ok when checked.
6 weeks is really too long to wait!
 
Is there oil on the driveway? Could it be diesel you're smelling?
 
Our 6.1 cali is ionly 30 months old, still under warranty.
I needed to go away in it in 2 weeks but garage can only look at it in mid Oct.
Does anyone have any ideas??
We are in Cumbria.
It has been smelling of oil inside the van but oil level ok when checked.
6 weeks is really too long to wait!
I presume still under warranty?
If so phone VW Assistance. It is run by the AA, but insist on a VW Assistance Technician. Explain that there is a strong smell of diesel or oil in the vehicle and you are concerned about whether it is safe to drive the vehicle.
If VW Assistance cannot fix on the drive they have priority 48hr access to the local Dealership.
Worth a try.
 
Our 6.1 cali is ionly 30 months old, still under warranty.
I needed to go away in it in 2 weeks but garage can only look at it in mid Oct.
Does anyone have any ideas??
We are in Cumbria.
It has been smelling of oil inside the van but oil level ok when checked.
6 weeks is really too long to wait!
Sorry to hear it. That is not acceptable, that wait, I mean. I am spoiled here (Kempten, Bayern)... on Monday afternoon I called for an appointment and the next day at 8:30 I was at the dealer. They fixed the small problem right away.
 
Our 6.1 cali is ionly 30 months old, still under warranty.
I needed to go away in it in 2 weeks but garage can only look at it in mid Oct.
Does anyone have any ideas??
We are in Cumbria.
It has been smelling of oil inside the van but oil level ok when checked.
6 weeks is really too long to wait!

Smell in the cabin is more likely to be a cracked rear EGR pipe.

Im sure I have seen a post from someone who had the VW AA Silver van service and they swapped the pipe on their driveway.

So if you do as Welshgas says you might get lucky and not even have to go in.
 
Sorry to hear it. That is not acceptable, that wait, I mean. I am spoiled here (Kempten, Bayern)... on Monday afternoon I called for an appointment and the next day at 8:30 I was at the dealer. They fixed the small problem right away.
Thank you. I don’t mind travelling, we already have to go over an hour to preston!
 
I presume still under warranty?
If so phone VW Assistance. It is run by the AA, but insist on a VW Assistance Technician. Explain that there is a strong smell of diesel or oil in the vehicle and you are concerned about whether it is safe to drive the vehicle.
If VW Assistance cannot fix on the drive they have priority 48hr access to the local Dealership.
Worth a try.
Yes we have a 5 year warranty. I will phone in the morning. We have taken it to our local garage and they put it up on the ramp and confirmed that there was an oil leak.
Is there oil on the driveway? Could it be diesel you're smelling?
No oil on driveway but strong smell in van, only eliminated if air on is on. Local garage has confirmed an oil leak.
 
I presume still under warranty?
If so phone VW Assistance. It is run by the AA, but insist on a VW Assistance Technician. Explain that there is a strong smell of diesel or oil in the vehicle and you are concerned about whether it is safe to drive the vehicle.
If VW Assistance cannot fix on the drive they have priority 48hr access to the local Dealership.
Worth a try.
Many Thanks, will try this tomorrow.
 
IMO fumes In The CAB, cracked rear EGR pipe. Common issue

Call and Tell the AA call handler, there are strong exhaust fumes smell entering the CAB when driving and you think it's unsafe to drive with the fumes entering the CAB as it's giving you a headache. Ask them to send out a VW assist tech as priority "for health and safety reasons" . Insist they Send a VW assist technician Not AA.

You can check the rear EGR pipe by putting your hand around the back of the engine, right hand side, near the top.( when you face the engine)
whilst engine is running you'll feel the exhaust gas escaping and the additional heat locally to the pipe.

Ps I've had the front EGR pipe changed at a campsite whilst on holiday some. 300 miles from home.changed by the AA.

Rear went, fumes in CAB, I phoned and told the dealer the rear had cracked, they still insisted I brought the van in for diagnosis one day then return another to resolve !

I wonder why they have no appointments to actually help customers out!

VW are in Total disarray ATM, struggling financially, I would suggest that the AA have had their contract with VW Assist amended to reduce cost. It appears to be a reoccurring story that the AA do not want to go the extra to get the VW assist client out of a hold.
 
Last edited:
Thanks so much for your reply. I have a vw assist technician coming on Monday. I would never have known about this without this. Thank you
Let us know how you get on.

Lay it on thick with vw assist ! Danger
 
I presume still under warranty?
If so phone VW Assistance. It is run by the AA, but insist on a VW Assistance Technician. Explain that there is a strong smell of diesel or oil in the vehicle and you are concerned about whether it is safe to drive the vehicle.
If VW Assistance cannot fix on the drive they have priority 48hr access to the local Dealership.
Worth a try.
Littl
Let us know how you get on.

Lay it on thick with vw assist ! Danger
Thanks for the great advice everyone. VW assist came out - it wasn’t an EGR pipe. Our van has the newer type that are not prone to failure. I got the van into our local VW garage, thanks to the VW assist tech report and have a large transporter courtesy van! It is an oil leak from somewhere behind the engine that was dripping onto the manifold. Now waiting for a more in depth investigation, and hopefully solution by a week on Friday, as I need to get on the Ullapool ferry on Sat!
 
Back
Top