Warning lights on start and Adaptive Cruise Control

F

FNQ California

Messages
8
Location
Australia
Vehicle
T6.1 Beach 199
Hi everyone.
Yesterday on start all the warning alerts came on: abs, side assist, on/off, downhill descent etc.
I drove a few kms and stopped, on restart they all went out except Adaptive Cruise Control wouldn't start. Stopped for fuel an hour later and on start, ACC worked.
This morning the same sequence.
We did 1,000 km drive before this and there were some very rough bits of road towards the end.
Seems a sensor fault, but which one?
Any suggestions, or is a trip to the dealer required?
Many thanks.
 
Hi everyone.
Yesterday on start all the warning alerts came on: abs, side assist, on/off, downhill descent etc.
I drove a few kms and stopped, on restart they all went out except Adaptive Cruise Control wouldn't start. Stopped for fuel an hour later and on start, ACC worked.
This morning the same sequence.
We did 1,000 km drive before this and there were some very rough bits of road towards the end.
Seems a sensor fault, but which one?
Any suggestions, or is a trip to the dealer required?
Many thanks.
One of the Wheel speed sensors is failing.

Scan tool or dealer could tell you which one, but i would recommend changing them all anyway.

Lots of posts on how to do them yourself in this forum.

Explanation of why theses systems effects each system:

 
Seems it was RL wheel sensor failed so aa suggested I had all 4 replaced. Supply cost for the 4 (genuine parts) sensors was just shy of $1,000 (ouch), fitting and calibration costs were reasonable.
I've seen after market ones advertised for $80 a pair, read that replacement isn't difficult. For future reference, are non-genuine worth the cost saving, and does abs need recalibration after fitting (though I'm hoping this won't be a recurring issue).
Many thanks,
 
Seems it was RL wheel sensor failed so aa suggested I had all 4 replaced. Supply cost for the 4 (genuine parts) sensors was just shy of $1,000 (ouch), fitting and calibration costs were reasonable.
I've seen after market ones advertised for $80 a pair, read that replacement isn't difficult. For future reference, are non-genuine worth the cost saving, and does abs need recalibration after fitting (though I'm hoping this won't be a recurring issue).
Many thanks,
I fitted Bosch ones (& carry a spare of each side). On a T6 you don't need to calibrate and I would be very surprised if you do on a T6.1 . I am not aware that Wheel Sensors ever need calibrating, but the fault codes may or may not clear depending on the specific fault.

For my T6 2017: Bosch parts 0 986 594 504 and 0 986 594 505

I believe all the T5s, T6s & T6.1s use the same sensors, but as always please check.
 
VW sensors fail.
After market sensors fail.

The cost difference is significant,
IMO why would you pay a dealer inflated prices (parts snd labour) to fit a sensor that is available for far less and if comparable quality.
(Remember VW do not produce any parts, they buy them in from various manufacturers and assemble them into a Vehicle).
Pattern parts and local Garage is the way forward.
Or better still DIY if you have the ability.
 
4 sensors - ridex, from autodoc £6 each and 3 replaced in about 2 hours and then ran out of time. 1 is still sitting on my workbench, but all is well after replacement.

aaae87e76b8a1058f11aff131b06ab5a.jpg
 
I had just one changed a couple of years ago, didn’t change the other three, but they’ve all been ok since.
 
Why on earth would you change them all? Utter bollox.

They don’t need calibration. Just plug in and clear any codes.
 
Why on earth would you change them all? Utter bollox.

They don’t need calibration. Just plug in and clear any codes.
The codes are self cancelling once a faulty sensor has been replaced.
 
Not always in my experience. If it flags an ABS then only VCDS will clear it.
Not the case on my T5.1. Just drive after sensor replaced. Checked with Carista. Codes present before codes gone after replacement.
 
Why on earth would you change them all? Utter bollox.

They don’t need calibration. Just plug in and clear any codes.
Do you need to change all 4 at once No, absoutley not.

but, they are cheap parts, even branded ones, once you have all the tools why not do them all and not have to face doing it again for 4-5 years.

The system switches off or degrades a pile of safety and non safety systems as soon as they see any wobble on the sensor, I have had two fail within 2 weeks on the same side (UK nearside), they are clearly prone to fail on these vans. I wanted to do all four but some of the parts from Autodoc got delayed.

If you only use the van for short journeys or short trips, then replacing them when they fail is one approach and probably not a lot of hassle. But having had one fail at the start of a 900km run to Switzerland, lose safety and connivence features and then change it at a campsite using the van jack, i would certainly recommend that people weigh up the cost of doing 4 vs the hassle of replacing as fail. It is personal choice, but i don't agree it is UB.
 
Last edited:
Do you need to change all 4 at once No, absoutley not.

but, they are cheap parts, even branded ones, once you have all the tools why not do them all and not have to face doing it again for 4-5 years.

The system switches off or degrades a pile of safety and non safety systems as soon as they see any wobble on the sensor, I have had two fail within 2 weeks on the same side (UK nearside), they are clearly prone to fail on these vans. I wanted to do all four but some of the parts from Autodoc got delayed.

If you only use the van for short journeys or short trips, then replacing them when they fail is one approach and probably not a lot of hassle. But having had one fail at the start of a 900km run to Switzerland, lose safety and connivence features and then change it at a campsite using the van jack, i would certainly recommend that people weigh up the cost of doing 4 vs the hassle of replacing as fail. It is personal choice, but i don't agree it is UB.
Thanks, and sound advice as we always do at least 4,000 km every time we go for a drive (obviously not a daily drive ;))
 
I can confirm from personal experience that an abs sensor is most likely to go on the day you cross the channel.
I can also confirm, that it is entirely possible to complete a 3,000-mile European road trip without them.
 
Back
Top