UK DIESEL PRICES.

SusiBus

SusiBus

2-pedal power Peppa Pig trike
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Messages
2,048
Location
Watford,Herts
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Having just filled up with fuel at Costco Bristol at £1.87 litre, 30 miles down the M5 at the BP services it was an eye watering £2.17.9 litre. Question, should l buy shares in BP?20260921_150621.jpg
 
I’m in Hanover, got all the way here from amesbury on 3/4 tank 70 mph (35.8 mpg).
£143 quid later for 67 litres (£2.13 ish per litre!)‍♂️.
That was in a supermarket cheapest, aral bp etc were all 5-10 p more
 
Here in southern Germany the diesel price this morning was 2,42€ (£2.02), the prices pretty much go up at lunchtime so based on the last week or so it'll be 2,56€ (£2.19) later today.

I'm so glad we added a small electric car to the family fleet for my work commute. The cost of a year's worth of electricity is not much more than the cost of one tank of diesel in the Cali and there are no obvious signs of the price dropping anytime soon.
 
crude oil been dropping for 4 days now, hopefully will settle down at the pumps soon.:Nailbiting
The bottleneck isn’t just crude oil. The global capacity for refining into diesel is severely limited (down 20%).

The prices at the pump are likely artificially low and kept that way because of what’s stored - that can only last so long. My guess is we’ll be closer to £3/litre by the turn of the year unless something gives in the Middle East.
 
The bottleneck isn’t just crude oil. The global capacity for refining into diesel is severely limited (down 20%).

The prices at the pump are likely artificially low and kept that way because of what’s stored - that can only last so long. My guess is we’ll be closer to £3/litre by the turn of the year unless something gives in the Middle East.

You are exactly right, i was listening to Radio 4 early this week and specialists are predicting we could hit £3 per litre quite soon, if that does happen I will be sadly cancelling my trip to Spain in new year and flying instead as it will work out to £1,350 return including ferry, fuel and tolls , thats before I have even booked a campsite !
 
And I don’t even listen to radio 4 :)

It’s been a no brainer to ditch diesel for cars for a while. Particularly for urban driving. For vans and campers it’s a tougher proposition currently.
 
We used to use our Cali as a daily driver but it was no longer cost effective for us so purchased a little Toyora Aygo Hybrid which does about 78MPG, the Cali now sits on the drive most of the time which is far from what we planned
 
We used to use our Cali as a daily driver but it was no longer cost effective for us so purchased a little Toyora Aygo Hybrid which does about 78MPG, the Cali now sits on the drive most of the time which is far from what we planned
And that’s it, right there! We had our Cali as only vehicle for a couple of years then 18 months ago bought a 2nd hand Mini Cooper EV. Now the van sits on the drive waiting to play. At £1.40 for 100 miles in the Mini it would be nuts to use the van for just nipping around the block! (around £25 in the van) although in practice we don’t even pay for the electricity as Octopus pay us more than we use.

As a balance tho’ as much as I would love an electric van there is absolutely NOTHING out there than can compare to the Cali overall for comfort, distance, storage, versatility. So for road tripping in a van the diesel wins.
 
199.9p/litre in my locality. I am certainly going easier on the loud pedal, shame really, as when you give the Cali some beans the performance is quite impressive. That's a killer on the pocket.
 
We usually fill up the tank when we go to the petrol station but have stopped doing that as I don't think I could handle the pain of how much it would cost :Nailbiting

BTW just paid £2.04.9 per litre here so it is creeping up every few days
 
Having just said what I have in #13 I would say that perhaps it is too easy to talk ourselves into a doom/what’s the point?/ the van will have to go type of scenario. There are thousands and thousands of people out there with ICE vehicles and they won’t stop using them any time soon. Yes the price at the pump is painful and eye watering but in reality we soon get used to it. I don’t like it, but in this world right now? It is what it is.

For those of us who do drive Cali’s it is a ‘First world problem’ and maybe we should remember that.

I’m not being judgemental here and please don’t judge me, I’m just sayin……….
 
Diesel prices will fluctuate. Look at the chart. During Covid, worldwide glut, cheap diesel.
Russia / Ukraine expensive diesel, supply increase price down, Iran war back up.
Wars don’t go on for ever.
As chockswahay says it’s a bit of a pain at the moment but it’s not forever.

IMG_1226.png
 
After all the recent talk about fuel prices I found myself taking a trip down memory lane haha..........

In 1973 when I had my first moped (remember them?) I was able to fill up with half a gallon of petrol and a shot of 2 stroke for around 20p :D :D (I also remember around the same time when me and my mate could go down the pub and get a round in (2 pints of best) for 25p) :cheers

I also remember when petrol hit £1 a gallon in 1979...... at that point we all said we would give up driving if it ever went higher!

Yet here we are in 2026 paying around £9 a gallon

In each case the Iranians were in the mix......... Deja Vu anybody? :eek:
 
After all the recent talk about fuel prices I found myself taking a trip down memory lane haha..........

In 1973 when I had my first moped (remember them?) I was able to fill up with half a gallon of petrol and a shot of 2 stroke for around 20p :D :D (I also remember around the same time when me and my mate could go down the pub and get a round in (2 pints of best) for 25p) :cheers

I also remember when petrol hit £1 a gallon in 1979...... at that point we all said we would give up driving if it ever went higher!

Yet here we are in 2026 paying around £9 a gallon

In each case the Iranians were in the mix......... Deja Vu anybody? :eek:

Yup, when I started drinking ( underage ) in 1970 there was a massive increase in beer duty at the budget and McEwans Light went up from Is 8d to 1s 10d. The old boys in the pub were going apoplectic “ It’ll soon be two bob a pint “ ( 10p in that new money that came in in 1971 )
You could go out with a ten bob note and have four pints and a fish supper on the way home.

Sorry gone off topic. I like my van, balloon payment next month, keeping it until I’m too old, then daughter can have it if she still wants it.
Price of diesel just have to grin and bear for a bit. I mean to say Trump and Putin are old, right ?
 
When a Putin cyberattack takes out our critical infrastructure at least EVs can trickle charge via portable solar panels. The off grid prepper-camper ultimately has to be an EV right? :)

Right I’ve added that one to my worry list, that’s Dpf, Egr, AdBlue tank and now Armageddon.
 
Back
Top