T7 California Ocean crack in plastic poptop lining

P600BOO

P600BOO

VIP Member
Messages
201
Location
Somerset
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Just had the poptop up for the very 1st time and noticed a large crack in the inner plastic front liner. Anyone else had this problem.
Bought it from a VW dealer, was a VW headquarters vehicle, 7000 miles and 9 months old.

20260925_151430.jpg
 
A number of people have reported similar cracks on the VW California T7 FB group.
 
Just had the poptop up for the very 1st time and noticed a large crack in the inner plastic front liner. Anyone else had this problem.
Bought it from a VW dealer, was a VW headquarters vehicle, 7000 miles and 9 months old.

View attachment 152182
Yeah got the same crack in the same place. I'm gonna try and get it sorted under Warranty. Hopefully I don't have to fight VW regarding this about misuse, wear and tear or "you must have left something up there mate"
 
Yep, cracks on both sides no the front. Big job to replace panel apparently. Bellows have to come off and be replaced. 2 days at least. Also have a crack on front roof panel above the antenna.
More concerned about external roof crack than internal panel

IMG_5886.jpeg

IMG_5884.jpeg

IMG_6260.jpeg
 
@Souter

I think if I had an external crack like that, aside from being furious with VW, I would be putting a strip of gaffer or other waterproof tape over it to try and prevent water from leaking in.

I would also be wondering if there are some structural rigidity issues with the Cali design in cutting a big hole in the Multivan platform to accommodate the pop top.
I'm thinking that either the roof panel, or the body (probably unlikely, but who knows), must be flexing to cause the cracking.

Or could it be the hydraulic roof raising/lowering system that is incorrectly designed/set up so the rams are applying too much force before the limit switches cut off the hydraulic pump?


If it is a widespread problem, lets hope VW fix it quicker than they did (or didn't) with the leaking double skinned bellows on the later T6.1's.
 
@Souter

I think if I had an external crack like that, aside from being furious with VW, I would be putting a strip of gaffer or other waterproof tape over it to try and prevent water from leaking in.

I would also be wondering if there are some structural rigidity issues with the Cali design in cutting a big hole in the Multivan platform to accommodate the pop top.
I'm thinking that either the roof panel, or the body (probably unlikely, but who knows), must be flexing to cause the cracking.

Or could it be the hydraulic roof raising/lowering system that is incorrectly designed/set up so the rams are applying too much force before the limit switches cut off the hydraulic pump?


If it is a widespread problem, lets hope VW fix it quicker than they did (or didn't) with the leaking double skinned bellows on the later T6.1's.
Done that already after taking it to Van Centre. Waiting on VC getting back to me.
 
Starting to worry me now there are a fair number of reports of the same issue, I have been checking mine after every trip now, hopefully by the time mine cracks ( touch wood is doesn’t) it will be a recognised warranty repair.
 
We had a Golf GTI Mk 7.5 where the glass panoramic roof cracked four times. Then the corrosion issues with our California 5.1. Followed by leaking bellows with our latest 6.1 California. Seems VW aren't very good at roofs!
 
Back
Top