Ocean 2022 Gas Stove Knob Seized

G

Grass verge 13

Messages
9
Location
Bristol
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
On my Ocean (2022) the right hand stove gas knob has seized and does not move up/down/twist. Thankfully it is the one that we least use so decided to have it looked during the next service.

Is this common if it does not get used that often, probably less than 20 times in 4 years. We have had it rom new and the left one gets used loads and is fine.

I do have the extended warranty and booked into Breeze in November coming from Bristol as we see typically good things about the dealership. What concerns me a little is that they say that if VW refuse the warranty claim then there is a £160-ish inspection fee that I'll pick up so thought I check here if (a) it is normal for these to seize when used infrequently (b) has anyone else seen this (c) is this likely to be rejected as a warranty claim?

I'd be disappointed if we have to pick up the inspection cost without a fix so wondering if it is a complex fix.

The stove top is never left dirty and just wiped around after use but not left covered in water. It does look okay just rock solid.
 
Does it push down and not rotate? Or won't push down at all?
 
On my Ocean (2022) the right hand stove gas knob has seized and does not move up/down/twist. Thankfully it is the one that we least use so decided to have it looked during the next service.

Is this common if it does not get used that often, probably less than 20 times in 4 years. We have had it rom new and the left one gets used loads and is fine.

I do have the extended warranty and booked into Breeze in November coming from Bristol as we see typically good things about the dealership. What concerns me a little is that they say that if VW refuse the warranty claim then there is a £160-ish inspection fee that I'll pick up so thought I check here if (a) it is normal for these to seize when used infrequently (b) has anyone else seen this (c) is this likely to be rejected as a warranty claim?

I'd be disappointed if we have to pick up the inspection cost without a fix so wondering if it is a complex fix.

The stove top is never left dirty and just wiped around after use but not left covered in water. It does look okay just rock solid.
Same year as you, also from new, not had this issue.

You may have tried all this, but just in case you haven’t, in your shoes I would first soak a small rag with plus-gas or similar:


spraying the stem first as well, and then wrap the rag around the stem and leave for an hour or two wrapped so it cannot dry out. Then tap the top of the nob with a rubber hammer or normal hammer with a softer interface (small piece or wood or plastic).

I would next try WD-40 for a longer period perhaps a day or two similar soak and wrap preventing dry off. Then again try the soft tap.

After that, if no success, then to seek replace under warranty seems sensible, after first checking if you can buy just the part and change it yourself (or have an independent do that for you).
 
I have just edited this after @Viktorgeorge ‘s reply, yes after that then this…….

If it doesn’t work and you have not abused it then it should be covered by the warranty. The van is sold as a campervan and that element of the hob top is no longer ‘fit for purpose’.

It is worrying that VW have a standard investigation cost and does leave one feeling a little vulnerable and anxious. Of course they need to protect themselves against silly or fraudulent claims but sometimes they do make you wonder why you bother! Keep the faith, have it looked at, and kick up merry hell if the claim is denied.
 
I have just edited this after @Viktorgeorge ‘s reply, yes after that then this…….

If it doesn’t work and you have not abused it then it should be covered by the warranty. The van is sold as a campervan and that element of the hob top is no longer ‘fit for purpose’.

It is worrying that VW have a standard investigation cost and does leave one feeling a little vulnerable and anxious. Of course they need to protect themselves against silly or fraudulent claims but sometimes they do make you wonder why you bother! Keep the faith, have it looked at, and kick up merry hell if the claim is denied.
I’m worried that if I try to free it myself then that could be an excuse to not fix it under warranty. You are right that they try to make you feel vulnerable about putting in a warranty claim.

You would have thought the dealership (Breeze) would take a quick look during the service and know if it was a warranty claim or not. Instead it jumps straight to an investigation cost for something that should ‘just work’.

I’ll see what happens in November
 
I've had this lots of times on my rental fleet. You can pull the knob up and you'll see the fittings. Clean out anything obvious and spray with WD 40. Leave it to soak. I've always managed to fix it this way.
 
I've had this lots of times on my rental fleet. You can pull the knob up and you'll see the fittings. Clean out anything obvious and spray with WD 40. Leave it to soak. I've always managed to fix it this way.
Both my valves were OK, but I just did this anyway as a precaution, i.e. pulled off the black covers and then lithium greased and 'exercised' both gas controls - good tip thank you @Soton Campers .
 
Last edited:

Similar threads

P
Replies
22
Views
6K
Pete_Hampton
Pete_Hampton
J
Replies
3
Views
440
Meoncoast
Meoncoast
Justinitus
Replies
7
Views
3K
wildslammer22
wildslammer22
Back
Top