Extended warranty doesn't cover anything?

When I was mystery shopping cars, I once accompanied a guy who'd been sold a warranty at cost when he should have had free cover...he was exceptionally unhappy and put his point over well, knowing it was all on video.

It sounds like you've been sold a 3rd party warranty, not the VW extended warranty and I would be going into the original dealership to discuss this. But they won't sell you a VW warranty, other than an All-in policy as it's limited to the first 3 months post-registration.
Thanks for your response! The dealership should explain fully what is and what is not covered by the policy. This was not done in my case, I assumed that it was a "full" extension of the VW 3yr one until I came to claim!

The dealership changed hands just over a year ago. They are still in business but not as dealers anymore! This puts me in a difficult position.
 
Very similar to my situation. Bought my Cali 2022 (Sept') 3yr VW warranty plus one year extended warranty via the dealership which I paid £890 for. Took my van in to have a roof "dropping down" problem on May 27th 2026 only to be told three days later that this was not covered! That for me was a total nasty surprise.
When I complained via phone to the warranty company they said the policy didn't cover "campervans" just the base vehicle (a van without any internal fixtures and fittings). I could not believe it. I thought I had paid to have 4 full years cover. None of this negativity was mentioned to me during the vehicle purchase negotiations.
I am not sure what to do next. Any suggestions?
If you want to take the extended factory warranty out for the 4th and 5th year it has to be taken out when the vehicle was less than 90 days old (madness i know). Otherwise, they will sell you the non factory one which doesn't cover any of the camping bits, etc.

So if you didn't attempt to take the warranty out in the 90 days after purchasing from new (and your extended warranty is a VW one ) they probably really didn't miss sell you anything. They just sold you what they had (it's a fairly good policy and you would struggle to get better) plus you would have then been sent stuff in the post / by email which would have covered everything and given you a right to cancel within 14 days (even if you purchased it in the showroom not just directly)
  • Factory Extended Warranty (Years 4 & 5): This must be bought within the first 3 months of registration. It is a direct continuation of your initial 3-year manufacturer warranty, offering "bumper-to-bumper" cover with £0 excess and unlimited claims up to the value of the van. [1, 2, 3, 4]
  • Subsequent Extended Warranty (Annual Insurance): If you miss the 3-month window, you can only buy an insurer-backed policy (administered via Volkswagen Financial Services/Allianz). This can be purchased starting 30 days before your initial 3-year factory warranty expires. However, it generally excludes wear-and-tear, may carry a voluntary excess, and is typically more expensive over time
 
Very similar to my situation. Bought my Cali 2022 (Sept') 3yr VW warranty plus one year extended warranty via the dealership which I paid £890 for. Took my van in to have a roof "dropping down" problem on May 27th 2026 only to be told three days later that this was not covered! That for me was a total nasty surprise.
When I complained via phone to the warranty company they said the policy didn't cover "campervans" just the base vehicle (a van without any internal fixtures and fittings). I could not believe it. I thought I had paid to have 4 full years cover. None of this negativity was mentioned to me during the vehicle purchase negotiations.
I am not sure what to do next. Any suggestions?
In my case, I have a paper trail by email showing my exact request, showing that the salesman checked with Volkswagen whether they offered the same extended warranty as in the U.K. and then saying that yes they do. The customer order I have (see above) clearly states it’s a 5 year warranty. Neither the salesman at the time nor anyone after ever mentioned any kind of restrictions applying after 3 years, ever mentioned that the last 2 years were a different kind of warranty nor provided any documents to that effect.

I also have a documented case of the dealership having messed up another part of this order and then spending more than 2 years lying about and making false promises to fix it before finally making it right as I was about to sue them.

I won’t wait 2 years this time though. I’m going straight to the small claims court if they don’t fix it promptly.
 
In my case, I have a paper trail by email showing my exact request, showing that the salesman checked with Volkswagen whether they offered the same extended warranty as in the U.K. and then saying that yes they do. The customer order I have (see above) clearly states it’s a 5 year warranty. Neither the salesman at the time nor anyone after ever mentioned any kind of restrictions applying after 3 years, ever mentioned that the last 2 years were a different kind of warranty nor provided any documents to that effect.

I also have a documented case of the dealership having messed up another part of this order and then spending more than 2 years lying about and making false promises to fix it before finally making it right as I was about to sue them.

I won’t wait 2 years this time though. I’m going straight to the small claims court if they don’t fix it promptly.
Looks like you have them on the hook, especially if you also purchased it within 90 days of it being registered as there could no mix up whatsoever because if they did it would amount to mis-selling. Strangely on mine (factory warranty) - purchased within 90 days - England I know- Liverpool Volkswagen Van Centre Commercial printed an invoice saying "sale of 2 year extended warranty". Then listed the vehicle reg and vin ..amount £329.

However, because of the database issues they had at the time then and thanks to advice on this forum I think I got them to send a print out from the the main VW database confirming the nature of the warranty. This said - "Factory extended warranty certificate" at the top laid out the vehicles details again including the policy details in this case: "Extension level purchased :5 years / 80,000 miles". At the bottom of the certificate it had the dealers name and the customer advisor that sold the policy and phone number.

This was in 2020 when their databases were in turmoil. Your invoice was certainly a lot clearer than mine because reading mine you would be inclined to think it was the non factory one if it wasn't for the attached certificate I got them to send. Reading your invoice you would fully expect it to be the a factory warranty ...due to the 5 year term and unlimited mileage
 
Looks like you have them on the hook, especially if you also purchased it within 90 days of it being registered as there could no mix up whatsoever because if they did it would amount to mis-selling.
Yup. It was my first time buying a new car and dealing with a car dealership. I understand where the reputation of car salesmen comes from now. The amount of incompetence and dishonesty is off the charts.
 
If you want to take the extended factory warranty out for the 4th and 5th year it has to be taken out when the vehicle was less than 90 days old (madness i know). Otherwise, they will sell you the non factory one which doesn't cover any of the camping bits, etc.

So if you didn't attempt to take the warranty out in the 90 days after purchasing from new (and your extended warranty is a VW one ) they probably really didn't miss sell you anything. They just sold you what they had (it's a fairly good policy and you would struggle to get better) plus you would have then been sent stuff in the post / by email which would have covered everything and given you a right to cancel within 14 days (even if you purchased it in the showroom not just directly)
  • Factory Extended Warranty (Years 4 & 5): This must be bought within the first 3 months of registration. It is a direct continuation of your initial 3-year manufacturer warranty, offering "bumper-to-bumper" cover with £0 excess and unlimited claims up to the value of the van. [1, 2, 3, 4]
  • Subsequent Extended Warranty (Annual Insurance): If you miss the 3-month window, you can only buy an insurer-backed policy (administered via Volkswagen Financial Services/Allianz). This can be purchased starting 30 days before your initial 3-year factory warranty expires. However, it generally excludes wear-and-tear, may carry a voluntary excess, and is typically more expensive over time
Being new to the whole VW purchasing process I relied on the dealership's guidance at the point of sale. I purchased my Cali Ocean from new. I did not know that an official VW extended warranty was available and I was not offered one. I was sold a one year dealership extended warranty which I foolishly took to being an equivalent extension of the standard 3yr VW warranty. This policy was bought on the day of purchase.
I feel agrieved at my own ignorance and lack of inquisitiveness! I thought I had been given a full cover warranty for the price of £890.
To compound my grievance, the dealership failed to resolve the dropping down of the elevated roof. I had purchased new in September 2022 and returned it in May 2023, April 2024 and May 2025. They held the vehicle each time for a full week and not once was the fault corrected. In May 2026 I took it in again for this problem and was told it needed a replacement hydraulic pump but low and behold they told me that this would not be covered under the terms of the extended warranty I had been sold!
 
Being new to the whole VW purchasing process I relied on the dealership's guidance at the point of sale. I purchased my Cali Ocean from new. I did not know that an official VW extended warranty was available and I was not offered one. I was sold a one year dealership extended warranty which I foolishly took to being an equivalent extension of the standard 3yr VW warranty. This policy was bought on the day of purchase.
I feel agrieved at my own ignorance and lack of inquisitiveness! I thought I had been given a full cover warranty for the price of £890.
To compound my grievance, the dealership failed to resolve the dropping down of the elevated roof. I had purchased new in September 2022 and returned it in May 2023, April 2024 and May 2025. They held the vehicle each time for a full week and not once was the fault corrected. In May 2026 I took it in again for this problem and was told it needed a replacement hydraulic pump but low and behold they told me that this would not be covered under the terms of the extended warranty I had been sold!
 
Here you go a bit of carefully guided AI but it is exactly the answer i would expect it to arrive at :

You are entirely correct, and identifying this distinction is critical to your legal argument. Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles operates two entirely separate extended warranty structures in the UK. [1, 2]
The fact that the dealership sold you a separate, restrictive £890 policy on the day of purchase rather than the cheaper, more comprehensive official factory extension constitutes a clear case of mis-selling and misrepresentation.
The two official Volkswagen warranty setups work as follows:

1. The Official Factory Extension (The "90-Day" Window)​


  • The Rule: This must be purchased within 90 days (3 months) of the vehicle's initial registration. It is usually selected at the point of sale. [1, 2]
  • The Cover: It acts as a seamless, direct extension of the standard 3-year factory warranty. It covers the entire vehicle—including the specialized camper components like the hydraulic elevated roof—exactly as the original 3-year warranty does. [2, 3]
  • The Cost: For a California, an official 2-year factory extension historically costs significantly less than what you were charged (often around £300 to £500 depending on mileage limits). [2, 4]

2. The Subsequent Extended Warranty (The "30-Day" Window)​


  • The Rule: This is a non-factory, insurance-backed product underwritten by VWFS. You can only purchase it from 30 days before the original 3-year manufacturer warranty is due to expire. [1, 5, 6]
  • The Cover: As you noted, this covers the "base vehicle" (mechanical and electrical drive components). It strictly excludes wear and tear, body seals, and conversion elements (like the California's camping gear and roof hydraulics). [1, 7, 8]

How This Strengthens Your Legal Case​

Because you bought the vehicle brand new in September 2022, you were firmly within the 90-day window to get the all-inclusive official factory extension. Instead, the dealer sold you a £890 third-party or localized dealership policy on day one, leading you to believe it was an "equivalent extension" of full coverage. [1, 2]

  1. Misrepresentation: The dealer had a duty of care to explain that the £890 policy they were selling was not the official VW factory extension and that it excluded the living/camper components of your California Ocean.
  2. The "Unresolved Fault" Leverage: Because you first reported the dropping roof in May 2023—less than a year into owning the van—this fault occurred and was logged under the original 3-year factory warranty. [2]
The dealer's failure to repair a component during the factory warranty means they cannot now use the limitations of your extended warranty as an excuse to deny the fix. Legally, they are on the hook for failing to execute the initial repairs with "reasonable care and skill" under the Consumer Rights Act 2015.
To help prepare your formal complaint letter, do you know the exact name of the provider or underwriter listed on your £890 warranty paperwork (e.g., Car Care Plan, Motoreasy, or the dealer's own in-house brand)?

[1] https://www.volkswagen-vans.co.uk
[2] https://www.youtube.com
[3] https://vwcaliforniaclub.com
[4] https://vwcaliforniaclub.com
[5] https://www.motoreasy.com
[6] https://customer.vwfs.co.uk
[7] https://warrantyexpert.co.uk
[8] https://www.facebook.com
 
Next steps to consider : ( perhaps tone down a bit) . Again AI

1. Draft a "Letter Before Action" to the Dealership​

You must target the dealer principal (manager) of the specific showroom where you bought the van. Send this by Royal Mail Signed For delivery to create a paper trail.
Your letter should state exactly what you require to resolve the issue:

  • The Demand: Demand that the dealership replaces the hydraulic pump at zero cost to you.
  • The Deadline: Give them exactly 14 calendar days to agree in writing, or you will escalate the claim to the County Court (Small Claims).
  • The Legal Grounds:
    1. Breach of Contract / Consumer Rights Act 2015: You reported the dropping roof fault in May 2023, April 2024, and May 2025. All three attempts occurred during the original 3-year factory warranty. The dealer failed to repair the vehicle with "reasonable care and skill," leaving a known inherent defect unresolved.
    2. Misrepresentation Act 1967: The salesperson led you to believe the £890 policy was an equivalent extension of the full VW warranty. They failed to disclose that it was a restrictive base-vehicle policy, denying you the chance to buy the genuine, cheaper 90-day VW factory extension.

2. Issue a Formal Subject Access Request (SAR)​

In tandem with your letter, email the dealership’s Data Protection Officer or Service Manager with the heading "Formal Subject Access Request (SAR) - [Your Vehicle Registration]".

  • What to request: Demand all internal workshop job cards, technician diagnostic notes, master log entries, and communication records regarding your vehicle for the dates in May 2023, April 2024, May 2025, and May 2026.
  • Why this matters: Under UK GDPR, they must provide this data within 30 days for free. This paperwork provides undeniable legal proof that the hydraulic roof issue is an ongoing, unresolved factory-era fault.

3. Escalate to the Finance Provider (If Applicable)​

If you paid for the van—or even just the £890 warranty deposit—using a credit card or a dealership finance agreement (HP/PCP):

  • Contact the finance company or card issuer immediately.
  • Open a breach of contract and misrepresentation claim under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974.
  • The finance provider is jointly liable with the dealer and can often force the dealership to pay for the repair to protect their asset.

4. Lodge a Dispute with The Motor Ombudsman​

If the dealership rejects your Letter Before Action or the 14-day deadline passes without a satisfactory response:

  • Visit themotorombudsman.org and start a free dispute case.
  • Most UK Volkswagen main dealers are accredited by The Motor Ombudsman and are legally bound by their rulings.
  • Upload your repair dates, the SAR notes (if received), and proof of the 90-day warranty mis-selling.

5. Final Resort: Small Claims Court​

If the Ombudsman route is too slow or the dealer refuses to cooperate, file a claim online via the Money Claim Online (MCOL) government portal. You will claim the estimated cost of the hydraulic pump replacement plus court fees, using your logged 2023–2025 repair visits as your primary evidence.
To help draft the exact wording for your Letter Before Action, could you tell me:

  • Did you pay for any part of the vehicle or warranty using a credit card or finance?
  • What is the exact name of the dealership group (e.g., Lookers, Inchcape, Breeze)?
 
Next steps to consider : ( perhaps tone down a bit) . Again AI

1. Draft a "Letter Before Action" to the Dealership​

You must target the dealer principal (manager) of the specific showroom where you bought the van. Send this by Royal Mail Signed For delivery to create a paper trail.
Your letter should state exactly what you require to resolve the issue:

  • The Demand: Demand that the dealership replaces the hydraulic pump at zero cost to you.
  • The Deadline: Give them exactly 14 calendar days to agree in writing, or you will escalate the claim to the County Court (Small Claims).
  • The Legal Grounds:
    1. Breach of Contract / Consumer Rights Act 2015: You reported the dropping roof fault in May 2023, April 2024, and May 2025. All three attempts occurred during the original 3-year factory warranty. The dealer failed to repair the vehicle with "reasonable care and skill," leaving a known inherent defect unresolved.
    2. Misrepresentation Act 1967: The salesperson led you to believe the £890 policy was an equivalent extension of the full VW warranty. They failed to disclose that it was a restrictive base-vehicle policy, denying you the chance to buy the genuine, cheaper 90-day VW factory extension.

2. Issue a Formal Subject Access Request (SAR)​

In tandem with your letter, email the dealership’s Data Protection Officer or Service Manager with the heading "Formal Subject Access Request (SAR) - [Your Vehicle Registration]".

  • What to request: Demand all internal workshop job cards, technician diagnostic notes, master log entries, and communication records regarding your vehicle for the dates in May 2023, April 2024, May 2025, and May 2026.
  • Why this matters: Under UK GDPR, they must provide this data within 30 days for free. This paperwork provides undeniable legal proof that the hydraulic roof issue is an ongoing, unresolved factory-era fault.

3. Escalate to the Finance Provider (If Applicable)​

If you paid for the van—or even just the £890 warranty deposit—using a credit card or a dealership finance agreement (HP/PCP):

  • Contact the finance company or card issuer immediately.
  • Open a breach of contract and misrepresentation claim under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974.
  • The finance provider is jointly liable with the dealer and can often force the dealership to pay for the repair to protect their asset.

4. Lodge a Dispute with The Motor Ombudsman​

If the dealership rejects your Letter Before Action or the 14-day deadline passes without a satisfactory response:

  • Visit themotorombudsman.org and start a free dispute case.
  • Most UK Volkswagen main dealers are accredited by The Motor Ombudsman and are legally bound by their rulings.
  • Upload your repair dates, the SAR notes (if received), and proof of the 90-day warranty mis-selling.

5. Final Resort: Small Claims Court​

If the Ombudsman route is too slow or the dealer refuses to cooperate, file a claim online via the Money Claim Online (MCOL) government portal. You will claim the estimated cost of the hydraulic pump replacement plus court fees, using your logged 2023–2025 repair visits as your primary evidence.
To help draft the exact wording for your Letter Before Action, could you tell me:

  • Did you pay for any part of the vehicle or warranty using a credit card or finance?
  • What is the exact name of the dealership group (e.g., Lookers, Inchcape, Breeze)?
WOW SCOOBZ1 ! I am blown away with your thoroughness and legal insight and I will most certainly follow your guidance.
The Dealership was Inchcape who sold out their VW interests to Group1. Inchcape are still trading in other fields of business.
The "warranty" that they sold me was a Car Care Plan one. I paid by BAC's on the final day of purchase, no hire purchase was involved and no trade-in either.
I have retained correspondence from Inchcape (their workshop servicing records) about their investigations into the sagging roof saga and confirming that each investigation had found no fault. The roof drop in their opinion was within the 10cm to 20 cm VW factory tolerance!
I sincerely thank you again for your indepth input and I will of course let you know how matters progress.
 
WOW SCOOBZ1 ! I am blown away with your thoroughness and legal insight and I will most certainly follow your guidance.
The Dealership was Inchcape who sold out their VW interests to Group1. Inchcape are still trading in other fields of business.
The "warranty" that they sold me was a Car Care Plan one. I paid by BAC's on the final day of purchase, no hire purchase was involved and no trade-in either.
I have retained correspondence from Inchcape (their workshop servicing records) about their investigations into the sagging roof saga and confirming that each investigation had found no fault. The roof drop in their opinion was within the 10cm to 20 cm VW factory tolerance!
I sincerely thank you again for your indepth input and I will of course let you know how matters progress.
Have you got this in writing / on one of the worksheets ? "In May 2026 I took it in again for this problem and was "told it needed a replacement hydraulic pump" but low and behold they told me that this would not be covered under the terms of the extended warranty I had been sold!" Because the tolerances are indeed(as daft as it seems) 20cm !
 
Last edited:
Have you got this in writing / on one of the worksheets ? "In May 2026 I took it in again for this problem and was "told it needed a replacement hydraulic pump" but low and behold they told me that this would not be covered under the terms of the extended warranty I had been sold!" Because the tolerances are indeed(as daft as it seems) 20cm !
No I haven't. The statement about needing a replacement hydraulic pump was given verbally to me by Group1. I did not think to ask for this to be confirmed
 
I sincerely hope you get sorted. This thread brings back memories of the nightmare I had with my warranty back in 2016 when my T6 was new. The dealer sold me the warranty extension but failed to register it with VW. I found out by accident during an informal chat with the service manager. When I commented what good value (in UK at least) the warranty was he checked the VW system and told me I didn’t have a warranty. The sales manager then tried to rob me off with a 3rd party warranty which would have covered the base vehicle only because the 90 days had expired. There then followed a long and protracted discussion involving the dealer, VWUK and VW Germany as to how the issues could be resolved. After more than a year VWUK eventually acknowledged that it was a dealer error and agreed to retrospectively register the extended warranty against my vehicle. Which was a relief. The irony then was that I didn’t have any issues in years 4 or 5 so never claimed on the extended warranty. But I did have the piece of mind I guess.
 
Dealer is now claiming (and I quote) that "habitation components are not covered" by the warranty. And pointing me to https://www.volkswagenvans.ie/en/owners-and-users/warranty-and-protection.html when I asked for the full terms and conditions. That page of course makes no mention of habitation components being excluded (for good reasons as it would make no sense).

I don't know if I should laugh or cry.
 
That's because those T&Cs relate to the factory warranty so the habitual bit is covered ! If your fault occurred during the first 3 years your covered and if they sold you a policy within 90 days you buying the vehicle new you should be covered by the extended factory warranty or else they miss-sold you a inferior warranty policy - see earlier note ...
 
Dealership now confirmed that the warranty I'm on is (I quote) a "4/5 year warranty" and that "the first 3 years of the warranty are covered by the manufacturer and then the 4/5 year are covered by Global warranty who have been assigned by the manufacturer".

I.e. they blatantly lied and sold me some bullshit third-party warranty while claiming it was a 5 year VW warranty. Never mentioned this or mentioned that the last 2 years were under different terms until I actually tried to claim.

So tiresome. Anyway, it's all in writing so they're not getting away with this.
 
Latest update on this: after a series of contradictory emails where they kept saying one thing and its opposite, I finally sent this reply:

[...]
However, your latest email appears to be inconsistent with your previous emails.

Previously, you stated that:
  • “The first 3 years of the warranty are covered by the manufacturer and then the 4/5 year are covered by Global Warranty”, and
  • In relation to the 4th/5th year warranty, that “habitation components are not covered” and that “this is a non-mechanical part, which is an exclusion within cover”.
Those statements indicate that the 4th/5th year warranty is different from the original manufacturer warranty and is subject to different exclusions.

Your latest email appears to suggest otherwise. To avoid any misunderstanding, please confirm, in writing, whether:
  • the 4th/5th year warranty is provided by Volkswagen and not by a third party, and
  • there is no difference in cover, exclusions, or terms between the first 3 years and the 4th/5th years. The 4th/5th year cover is exactly the same level of cover as the original manufacturer warranty.
To reiterate what I have already shown in the email correspondence and Customer Order, I specifically requested, ordered, and paid for a 5-year Volkswagen manufacturer warranty. At no point during the sales process, vehicle delivery, or subsequent discussions was I informed that the final two years would operate under different cover, terms, or exclusions.
[...]

They have now stopped answering and haven't answered these very basic questions.

The dealer principal is on holidays right now. But I have his return date. Given the previous history of delaying tactics by this dealership when (not) dealing with issues, I'll give the dealer principal a chance to address this issue on this return. But if he delays again, I'm making a formal complaint with VW Ireland and filing a complaint with SIMI.
 
Still think you are missing a big issue here for them - regardless of what they sold you, they should have sold you the factory warranty for year 4 and 5 because you took out the warranty within 90 days of purchasing the Cali - if they sold you anything else they would be guilty of mis-selling as the factory warranty offers far superior cover / value for money. Bit of help from AI on Rep of Ireland legislation and consumer protection rules below - hopefully it will enable you to get a breakthrough



You’re still probably not pushing the biggest and simplest point here — and it’s the one that makes this a clear case of mis‑selling under Irish law.​



**➡️ The official Volkswagen Factory Extended Warranty (years 4–5) can ONLY be purchased within the first 90 days of registration.​


➡️ You bought your warranty within that window.
➡️ Therefore the dealer was legally required to sell you the factory warranty.
➡️ Anything else they sold you is automatically inferior and hence automatically mis‑sold.**


This is why your current warranty doesn’t cover habitation items — because it’s not the factory warranty you paid for.

And this is exactly what the Irish Consumer Protection Act 2007 prohibits:
  • misleading claims about a product’s nature or benefits
  • substituting a different product after payment
  • failing to disclose that the product is inferior (definitely applies or else you wouldn't have bought the inferior 3rd party warranty)
  • representing a third‑party product as a manufacturer product
You have:
  • the order form showing “5 year unlimited mileage warranty”
  • written emails confirming it was the same as the UK factory warranty
  • proof that the dealer instead registered a used‑vehicle warranty
That is textbook misrepresentation.


✅ What you could do now​


1. Email Volkswagen Group Ireland again — but this time using the correct legal framing​


Tell them:


“The factory extended warranty can only be purchased within 90 days of registration. I purchased my warranty within that window and paid for the factory 5‑year unlimited mileage warranty listed on my order form.
Instead, the dealer appears to have registered a used‑vehicle warranty that is inferior and excludes California habitation components.
This is a misleading commercial practice under the Consumer Protection Act 2007.
I require Volkswagen Ireland to correct the warranty registration to the factory extended warranty I paid for.”

This forces them to treat it as a compliance issue, not a customer‑service complaint.




2. Ask VW Ireland one question they cannot dodge​

“Is the warranty on my VIN registered as the Volkswagen Factory Extended Warranty (years 4–5), or as a third‑party used‑vehicle warranty?”

If they admit it’s third‑party → mis‑selling is proven.
If they refuse to answer → escalate to CCPC.

The Competition and Consumer Protection Commission (CCPC) is the statutory body that enforces consumer law in Ireland. They actively prosecute Irish car dealers who mislead consumers regarding the history, status, or warranty terms of a vehicle.



3. Confirm whether you used Volkswagen Financial Services Ireland (PCP/HP)​

The Law: Under Irish consumer credit law, if a vehicle is financed through a dealer-arranged package, the finance provider is legally liable if the asset is not supplied "as described" on the order form.

The Action: File a formal complaint directly with the VWFS Ireland Customer Resolutions Team at customercomplaints@vwfs.ie. Tell them they have financed a vehicle that is in breach of contract due to missing factory specifications, and demand they cover the cost of the roof repair

​

This could be critical.​

If you used VWFS Ireland:
  • VWFS is jointly liable for the mis‑sold warranty
  • VWFS must freeze the dispute
  • VWFS must investigate
  • VWFS can force VW Ireland to correct the warranty



4. If VW Ireland stonewalls, file a CCPC complaint​

The CCPC investigates:
  • mis‑selling
  • misrepresentation
  • warranty substitution
  • franchised dealer misconduct
They have full jurisdiction even if the sales department is dysfunctional.
 
Still think you are missing a big issue here for them - regardless of what they sold you, they should have sold you the factory warranty for year 4 and 5 because you took out the warranty within 90 days of purchasing the Cali - if they sold you anything else they would be guilty of mis-selling as the factory warranty offers far superior cover / value for money. Bit of help from AI on Rep of Ireland legislation and consumer protection rules below - hopefully it will enable you to get a breakthrough
Oh I'm well aware of that.

I just need to get them to state this in writing clearly because so far they've been very vague and keep skirting around the issue.

On the arbitration part, SIMI (Society of the Irish Motor Industry) is actually the most relevant / useful organisation there as the dealership is a member of SIMI. If I raise a complaint with SIMI, SIMI must arbitrate and the dealership is legally bound to that decision (but I'm not bound by it and can still bring the matter to the Small Claims Court if I want).

The CPCC on the other side is a generic customer rights organization and they may not necessarily investigate (although a complaint there won't hurt of course).

The key part here is time. SIMI won't accept complaints for matters that happened more than 3 months ago. That's why the delaying tactics used by this dealership is quite effective (people are off sick, people are off on holidays, emails don't get answered, answers are vague and non-comital, etc). But I've already gone through all of this with them so I know what I'm dealing with now.
 
"I just need to get them to state this in writing clearly because so far they've been very vague and keep skirting around the issue".
What do you need for them to state in writing - that they sold you a third party policy instead of the factory extended one when you purchased the vehicle ? Probably little chance of them doing that as it would be admitting to mis-selling (hence why you are hearing nothing back).

You have them completely on the hook - your VW purchase order for a brand new vehicle has the warranty on it -"5 year unlimited mileage warranty" with all the other VW accessories / extras you purchased. What's the worst they can do - say you haven't got the extended factory policy - which will result in you winning the case because they mis-sold you something (a greatly inferior 3rd party warranty) or them later turning around and saying yes you had the factory warranty all along and blaming an admin error, in which case they will have to fix your van ... Win / win

Have you tried to contact VW Ireland (for help and or to see what has been registered if anything) and is a Finance Company a potential option ?

Hope get get it sorted soon - I really don't think you need to wait for them to shoot themselves in the foot, you already have them firmly within your sights. A strong, well-argued letter copied to the relevant bodies should persuade them to act; if they refuse, it serves as the perfect foundation for a formal legal claim.
 
Last edited:
After close to a month of bizarre, incoherent emails where the dealership continuously contradicted themselves and couldn’t give a straight answer to any question, I’ve sent them a formal complaint and gave them 5 business days to fix this.

I can’t understand why such a trivial problem couldn’t have been solved in 2 minutes instead of this massive waste of time.
 
After close to a month of bizarre, incoherent emails where the dealership continuously contradicted themselves and couldn’t give a straight answer to any question, I’ve sent them a formal complaint and gave them 5 business days to fix this.

I can’t understand why such a trivial problem couldn’t have been solved in 2 minutes instead of this massive waste of time.
If you’re comfortable using the courts and have strong evidence I’d go straight to that route. The ombudsman just sounds like a layer of unproductive faff. I’m sore that dealers are very used to dealing with them in a similarly casual way.
Nothing quite sharpens the mind like a court order I find.
 
Back
Top