Cali T6.1 Infotainment system software update.

PhillM

PhillM

VIP Member
Messages
15
Location
Poole. Dorset
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Cali T6.1 Infotainment system software update.

I keep getting a pop up appear when driving - ‘Software update available – Show information about the update – with option boxes – ‘Later’ or ‘OK’. After pressing one of those another message comes up with not available whilst driving or similar.

Since the Cali was in for service last week I asked the dealer if they could do it. Apparently they can’t. They advised next time I got the pop-up when I got home I’d need to leave the engine running so that it could update. But that they said could take between 5 and 30 mins. Any way I tried that and not much happened after 5 minutes so switched engine off. That didn’t seem right to me anyway.

For information on the Privacy Settings, I have it set to ‘share my position’. And software installed is version 0278.

Any help with how to get a successful update appreciated. Many thanks and apologies if covered already. I didn’t see anything quite the same when I looked.
 
Have the same issue. Won’t update whether engine running or not.
Did a search online and apparently my version 0382 should be updated to latest version 08xx.
Suggests that my 0382 version has known faults (e.g connectivity drop out) and that you need to get VW workshop to update, it won’t update on its own.

I’ve booked mine in - end of Nov 26 (was advised by Volkswagen customer service that it will be covered under warranty cause my Cali is two years old).
Will update at that point.
 
I have the same thing, and will watch this string with interest.

@Oceanwagen has disproved one of my theories, which was that this was a VW plot to get owners who has not renewed WeConnect+ to do so: after the three three year free subscription had expired.

there is more on this string and other links within it:

 
Had this and just got a conclusion this week:
 
Have the same issue. Won’t update whether engine running or not.
Did a search online and apparently my version 0382 should be updated to latest version 08xx.
Suggests that my 0382 version has known faults (e.g connectivity drop out) and that you need to get VW workshop to update, it won’t update on its own.

I’ve booked mine in - end of Nov 26 (was advised by Volkswagen customer service that it will be covered under warranty cause my Cali is two years old).
Will update at that point.

Thanks Oceanwagen and others.

I got fed up looking online, so gave all the information to AI. This is the key points it came up with – at least for my case. Like you I’m taking it back to the dealer (next week) and its just (time wise) covered. Hope this information will be helpful to others on this string…

From Grok AI:

They were right that they cannot “do the OTA for you” on the ramp. They can install the same update from USB. On 2020 T6.1s stuck on 0278 that is a common outcome; later levels (around 0330 on that family) are what usually restore a working Shop and future OTAs

Shop not loading is a strong sign the online/update layer on that head unit is stuck. A dealer flash is the proper fix

What a “dealer flash” is

It is not the wireless popup you have been fighting.

The technician connects VW’s workshop laptop (ODIS) to the van’s diagnostic socket. Official software for that exact control unit is pulled from VW’s server against your VIN, then written into the unit. Sometimes they also use a VW-prepared USB stick in the head unit’s service mode. Voltage is usually held with a battery support unit so the write does not die mid-way.

On your van they should treat two boxes, not one:
  • Infotainment — diagnostic address 5F (the Discover Media / “radio” computer)
  • Online Connectivity Unit / eCall — often J949, address 75 (the module that talks to the mobile network)

What to ask the Van Centre

Give them this, written down:
  • 2020 California T6.1, Discover Media
  • Hardware H12, software 0278
  • Nav 24.10 (maps OK)
  • In-Car Shop will not load
  • OTA popup appears while driving; OK/Download then “Unable to start background system services”
  • Please check campaigns / TPI for 5F and OCU (75 / J949) and update 0278 to the latest released level for this hardware (owners in the same boat landed on 0330)
  • Please confirm OCU software as well, not only the screen version
They already said they “can’t do the OTA”. That is true. A USB/ODIS flash is a different job and is exactly what H12 / 0278 vans needed when wireless updates stalled
 
Back
Top