Hawthorn37
Retired, and working hard at it
Super Poster
VIP Member
I’ve read the many posts on here about the costly effects of Ad Blue crystallisation, and want to avoid it.
We’re doing fewer miles in our Cali this year, and I’m aware the last time I filled the Ad Blue tank was over 12 months ago. After the refill it gave 18,500 miles range. Currently the van has 15,000 miles Ad Blue range (which sounds about right).
My questions are:
1. At what point does Ad Blue become an issue re crystallisation? What is “too old” ?
2. Is adding a bottle of additive sufficient to keep it healthy?
3. Should I siphon out the old Ad Blue and replace with (a smaller volume ) of new Ad Blue? Is this okay to do - or will it it mess up the engine management or something?
Many thanks.
We’re doing fewer miles in our Cali this year, and I’m aware the last time I filled the Ad Blue tank was over 12 months ago. After the refill it gave 18,500 miles range. Currently the van has 15,000 miles Ad Blue range (which sounds about right).
My questions are:
1. At what point does Ad Blue become an issue re crystallisation? What is “too old” ?
2. Is adding a bottle of additive sufficient to keep it healthy?
3. Should I siphon out the old Ad Blue and replace with (a smaller volume ) of new Ad Blue? Is this okay to do - or will it it mess up the engine management or something?
Many thanks.














