Tow bar bike racks

P

Peter Guiton Cali

VIP Member
Messages
42
Location
Bothenhampton
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Hi all ,

I have a 2020 California ocean T6.1 , I am looking for A tow bar mounted bike rack for 2 bikes
One back has 4” fat tyres and one bike is normal tyres . Both are electric bikes, so heavy , but together under 60kg
Any recommendations please , ideally folding type so I can open the rear when the bikes are on board
Cheers
 
The Thule ones seem to come up short, they’re great gear and it’s what I use, the Epos.

The problem is that when the bikes pivot forwards there still isn’t enough clearance for the tailgate. The remedy is simple enough if you’re practically skilled. A new 6mm hole has to be drilled into the frame to bring the limiter to a position when tailgate clearance is possible. With that it’s perfect.

The Atera Strada is very good we hear and doesn’t have clearance issues.
 
Hi all ,

I have a 2020 California ocean T6.1 , I am looking for A tow bar mounted bike rack for 2 bikes
One back has 4” fat tyres and one bike is normal tyres . Both are electric bikes, so heavy , but together under 60kg
Any recommendations please , ideally folding type so I can open the rear when the bikes are on board
Cheers
The Thule ones seem to come up short, they’re great gear and it’s what I use, the Epos.

The problem is that when the bikes pivot forwards there still isn’t enough clearance for the tailgate. The remedy is simple enough if you’re practically skilled. A new 6mm hole has to be drilled into the frame to bring the limiter to a position when tailgate clearance is possible. With that it’s perfect.

The Atera Strada is very good we hear and doesn’t have clearance issues.
We have an Atera Strada DL3 and it clears the tailgate on our T6.1 with no alterations or amendments. You would just need to check it can carry your bikes. Speak to the Roof Box Company, I am sure they would be able to help.
 
The Thule ones seem to come up short, they’re great gear and it’s what I use, the Epos.

The problem is that when the bikes pivot forwards there still isn’t enough clearance for the tailgate. The remedy is simple enough if you’re practically skilled. A new 6mm hole has to be drilled into the frame to bring the limiter to a position when tailgate clearance is possible. With that it’s perfect.

The Atera Strada is very good we hear and doesn’t have clearance issues.
Thank you , I am looking at the Atera strada as well , cheers
 
We have an Atera Strada DL3 and it clears the tailgate on our T6.1 with no alterations or amendments. You would just need to check it can carry your bikes. Speak to the Roof Box Company, I am sure they would be able to help.
That’s brilliant thankyou
 
Hi Peter.
T6.1 here and two e-fatbikes with 4.8 tyres. Both fit on the Thule velospace XT2 which is rated for greater than they weigh, including batteries.
It folds flat and can be hung on the wall from one end
The rear door can open when it's tilted and the bars are still off the floor
The channels are long enough and wide enough for 4.8 tyres
XT 2 means wide spacing on the channels so the bikes don't rub
For fat tyres, the straps that go through the wheels may not be long enough, longer are available
The rack seems very resistant to corrosion over the years and a good base for a padlock
Often found 2nd hand on FB marketplace or ebay....

HTH
 
Hi Peter.
T6.1 here and two e-fatbikes with 4.8 tyres. Both fit on the Thule velospace XT2 which is rated for greater than they weigh, including batteries.
It folds flat and can be hung on the wall from one end
The rear door can open when it's tilted and the bars are still off the floor
The channels are long enough and wide enough for 4.8 tyres
XT 2 means wide spacing on the channels so the bikes don't rub
For fat tyres, the straps that go through the wheels may not be long enough, longer are available
The rack seems very resistant to corrosion over the years and a good base for a padlock
Often found 2nd hand on FB marketplace or ebay....

HTH
thanks you i will have a look at that one as well
cheers
 

Similar threads

Back
Top