Small external (hook up) fridge?

reserves

reserves

Super Poster
VIP Member
Messages
2,318
Location
Brighton
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Looking for an external fridge that’ll hold a few bottles of milk / butter etc.

It’ll be ok hook up and will be summer in South West France (35 degrees).

Any recommendations please?

We cook outside completely, bit of a pain keep going in and out the Cali everytime we want to make a brew etc!
 
It's worth considering a 240v compressor type portable fridge if you are on hook-up most of the time as these cope better with hot external temperatures.

Most of the thermoelectric type cool boxes can only reduce the temperature by a maximum of circa 25C over ambient temperature. OK for most conditions, but at 35C+, they will struggle to keep the contents cool enough. Especially with frequent opening and closing of the lid.

The downside of a compressor fridge is that they tend to be heavier and more costly.



I see there are some 12V/240V compressor fridge units in the above link.

Some are advertised as hybrid, where on mains voltage they use the compressor and on 12V they use thermoelectric for the cooling.

Others use the compressor on 12V as well.

Looking at the specifications, on 12V a compressor only unit will be drawing around 4 amps, so not something you would want to run for an extended time on the leisure batteries, especially if the Cali's internal fridge is also running off-grid.

I think a good compromise would be the hybrid type, giving you the option for reasonable cooling off-grid on 12v if you ever need it, but with much more powerful cooling when on hook-up.
 
Waeco CCF-18
Keep an eye out on eBay.
I got one for £79
German engineering at its finest.
20 years old and should last another 20 years.

This is also a good one.
307058483561
3 way Dometic ?
Can run on a gas canister too.
 
Thanks for your detailed replies.

I didn’t realise how much a 2 way / 3 way proper fridge would be, that £150 one looks good @Californication69 I’ll keep my eye on it thanks.

I’m probably priced out of those @lohr500 thoigh they look ace.

Maybe I can just get a normal small fridge and use that as it will be on hook up the whole time.

Something like this https://www.currys.co.uk/products/logik-ltt40w23-mini-fridge-white-10248766.html

Though have no idea if it will work outside in 35 degree heat?
 
Thanks for your detailed replies.

I didn’t realise how much a 2 way / 3 way proper fridge would be, that £150 one looks good @Californication69 I’ll keep my eye on it thanks.

I’m probably priced out of those @lohr500 thoigh they look ace.

Maybe I can just get a normal small fridge and use that as it will be on hook up the whole time.

Something like this https://www.currys.co.uk/products/logik-ltt40w23-mini-fridge-white-10248766.html

Though have no idea if it will work outside in 35 degree heat?
Fridges work fine outside.
Loads of your standard fridges keeping ice cold cans of pop, well, ice cold in the fierce heat of Florida, outside in the car parks.
And it’s cheap enough to not worry about denting it or dropping it and it breaking.
(Well, don’t tell curry’s that if it breaks within 11 months ;)
You’ll get a free replacement.
Great plan.
Just keep it 1” off the floor and around it for air circulation.
 
Thanks both.

I actually went for this in the end

Alpicool Y16T 15L Compressor Car Fridge Freezer, DC 12v Camping Refrigerator, Portable Mini Cool Box for TruckCampervanRVBoat, -20℃ to 20℃​







Compact, but only for milk etc.

Plus we can use it in our EV which I use for solo (surf) trips from time to time :)

Cheap enough so will see how it goes!
 
Thanks both.

I actually went for this in the end

Alpicool Y16T 15L Compressor Car Fridge Freezer, DC 12v Camping Refrigerator, Portable Mini Cool Box for TruckCampervanRVBoat, -20℃ to 20℃​







Compact, but only for milk etc.

Plus we can use it in our EV which I use for solo (surf) trips from time to time :)

Cheap enough so will see how it goes!
I have an Alipcool and great for the money and used it in France with no issues and don’t use much power.
 
Looking for an external fridge that’ll hold a few bottles of milk / butter etc.

It’ll be ok hook up and will be summer in South West France (35 degrees).

Any recommendations please?

We cook outside completely, bit of a pain keep going in and out the Cali everytime we want to make a brew etc!
Word of warning. We were in France and had a cool box outside the van plugged into the 12v in the boot. We woke up with the van full of ants that had crawled up the cable.
 
Word of warning. We were in France and had a cool box outside the van plugged into the 12v in the boot. We woke up with the van full of ants that had crawled up the cable.

Thanks.

We’re going to be using this in hook up so it’ll be outside.
 
Back
Top