Sliding table, is there a fix for broken pivot?

I’m a bit new to this, but have posted a picture of the broken table hinge/support, is there a remedy, as I’m sure it’s not the first time it has happened…
The leg and assembly have been riveted onto the bottom of the table and there is very little room for manoeuvre, is this another income stream for VW with built in obsolescence?
 
Alot of threads about this issue, here's a bit of a selection for you:
Post in thread 'Sliding Table Hinge, Is yours cracked?' https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/sliding-table-hinge-is-yours-cracked.24945/post-560348
Post in thread 'Broken sliding kitchen table' https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/broken-sliding-kitchen-table.44266/post-573987
Post in thread 'Inside table leg broken' https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/inside-table-leg-broken.54729/post-749331
Post in thread 'New Member with a Broken Hinge on his California Ocean' https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/thread...nge-on-his-california-ocean.47991/post-638434
Thread 'Interior table - a fix' https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/interior-table-a-fix.31749/
Thread 'Sliding table hinge repair' https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/sliding-table-hinge-repair.53943/
Thread 'Table leg hinge repair - save ~£400' https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/table-leg-hinge-repair-save-£400.47045/
 
There is a table from a T5 for sale on ebay at the moment, though it does not have the hinge part that connects to the kitchen unit. It should be possible to transfer that part over if you don't want to go down the repair route.
 
Thanks for the tip, I’m exploring a repair option on the table, but will be treating it gently in the meantime!
 
Thanks for the tip, I’m exploring a repair option on the table, but will be treating it gently in the meantime
It should be repairable if you still have the broken bits; I had to fix mine years ago. The plastic of the hinge will bond to Araldite or similar epoxy resin.
The first stage is to stick the broken pieces back into place and let it set. If this is all you do, it will break again quite quickly, so the next stage is to make a capping out of metal. I used some scrap aluminium because it was easy to bend. It has to be thin because there is very little clearance. The capping is then bonded into place with the epoxy. It was fiddly and looks like a bodge, but it is out of sight and didn’t cost anything.
(The aluminium scrap had been painted but there seemed no point in cleaning it off)

1000007864.jpeg

1000007863.jpeg

1000007866.jpeg
 
Many thanks to Sad, John and Herman, we’re about to go on holiday, so will review matters when we return, in truth the table is still serviceable and ok if handled gently, a bit like the canopy legs and a number of other fittings on the California!
It’s interesting to read other threads where things have broken, guess the van is not for the heavy handed, but what a lovely bit of kit it is!
Thanks again!
 
  • Like
Reactions: Sad
Afternoon Sad, John and Herman, thanks again for your support, I’ve now effected a repair on the table as per the picture attached, the table hasn’t been used in anger as yet, but we’re off to France in a week, so will get a proper workout then!
I’ll keep you posted!
Paul

IMG_1856.jpeg
 
  • Clever Stuff
Reactions: Sad
Spotted this on The Bay yesterday: £26:72p 1751979235149.png
 
Morning Doorbundle, thanks for taking the time to write, and apologies for the late reply, just back from France…
I did in fact buy one of these hinges and fitted it before we set off, it was a bit of a fiddle, but works well, it’s not quite as robust as the alloy alternative, but would seem more than adequate for the job.
Next job, wind out awning, splitting down the seam with the heat!
 
Hi Nippy, Thanks for the reply..... In case I need similar, how did you fix the new hinge to your table?
There doesn't seem to be much for screws to get a purchase.
 
Hi Nippy, Thanks for the reply..... In case I need similar, how did you fix the new hinge to your table?
There doesn't seem to be much for screws to get a purchase.
For the metal hinge, all fitting details are supplied.
 
Morning Doorbundle, thanks for taking the time to write, and apologies for the late reply, just back from France…
I did in fact buy one of these hinges and fitted it before we set off, it was a bit of a fiddle, but works well, it’s not quite as robust as the alloy alternative, but would seem more than adequate for the job.
Next job, wind out awning, splitting down the seam with the heat!
…and morning again!
The hinge comes with 4 pop rivets. I drilled the old rivets out, cleaned up the underside of the table, and then used Araldite to glue the hinge onto the table and support, the new rivets then used to complete the fix.
You’ll need a rivet gun, pic shows mine, which if you squeeze gently whilst pushing down, does the trick.
Good luck!

IMG_1919.jpeg
 
I have made two failed attempts to fix the broken leg hinge. My two granddaughters have managed to break it both times. I decided to pay up for a new one and contacted SMG Tonbridge to place an order.

I have just followed up and they tell me that the parts are considered obsolete by VW and they cannot supply.

I have been scanning ebay for a second-hand one with no luck.

I have a 2015 Cali SE. Can anyone tell me if a table for a newer model an Ocean or Coast would fit? Oh, and a supplier recommendation would be great also.

Thanks everyone

Rick
 
I’m a bit new to this, but have posted a picture of the broken table hinge/support, is there a remedy, as I’m sure it’s not the first time it has happened…
The leg and assembly have been riveted onto the bottom of the table and there is very little room for manoeuvre, is this another income stream for VW with built in obsolescence?
The single table leg acts as a lever and exerts a lot of pressure on the hinge part when you shove the table along the track without lifting the leg off the floor.
 
Back
Top