Rear tow bar bike carrier to allow GC barn doors to open

Davilu

Davilu

VIP Member
Messages
93
Location
Kent
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Apologies for raising this again but how do GC owners carry e bikes on a tow bar and still open the rear doors? I’ve looked at the the Atera Strada RV but can’t achieve the 50mm gap between the top of the tow bar and the bottom of the doors. The tow bar is a Westfalia towbar on an Eribacar 600 (VW Crafter chassis)

IMG_1253.jpeg
 
I had the factory fitted tow bar, and lowered the toe ball\hook to the lower holes. Had to buy a couple of locking nuts to secure the bottom bolts (holes are there, but not nuts on the back). Also got a different hook as the neck on the factory one was to short for the Thule Easyfold XT we have.
 
Thanks, that’s really helpful. I also have the Thule Easyfold XT so I would prefer to use that rather than buying the Atera. Would you be able share details of the hook used to replace the factory one?
 
Thanks, I’ll have a look. Have you encountered any issues with the rack grounding with the tow bar dropping to the lower bolt holes?
 
I’ve had no issues with the bike rack grounding at all. It’s also at the correct height for my vehicle trailer, that I tow my car on.
 
That’s good to hear. Thanks for coming back to me.
 
I’ve now dropped the towbar to the lower four bolts. The barn doors clear my Easyfold XT2 at the tow bar clamp. The doors open enough to allow me to get a decent access to the rear garage area but don’t fully open. Did your replacement towball allow you to fully open the barn doors with the Easyfold attached?
 
No it doesn’t but enough access when on the road. Tend to take the bike rack off when at a campsite for two or more nights.
 
Back
Top