Reality Check Please (used values)

chockswahay

chockswahay

Super Poster
VIP Member
Messages
1,892
Location
Kernow
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
Hi team, the time has come (with a little sadness) to sell the van. I have checked out a few prices for similar spec vehicles to mine and current asking prices appear to me to be very high. Motorway are suggesting £41000 and yet I see many offered for sale, both private and trade, for up to mid £ fifties. Whilst I would like a clean and fairly quick sale I am struggling to make sense of what is fair and reasonable. I accept that Motorway will probably be the cheapest offer and have in mind that if I try for a private sale I could go for a price better than that yet one that will be better for the buyer too (a sort of win/win for both parties).

I am just about to have the van serviced (oil, air and fuel filter service) and it still has 9 months of All-In warranty.

I am just wondering if any one here has any recent experience regarding selling or buying. I don't want to be over zestful in my desire to sell and ask a silly (and unnecessary?) low price yet neither do I want to go high and simply fail to sell.

Any thoughts anyone?
 
Price all depends on mileage, specification and overall condition so its difficult to say without knowing that.

The likes of Motorway are always going to give you the lowest offer, their only real advantage is a quick and relatively hassle-free sale. As ever, selling privately will get you a better price but you'll have to be prepared for possible hassle. I guess it all comes down to whether the cash difference outweighs the convenience.
 
Hi team, the time has come (with a little sadness) to sell the van. I have checked out a few prices for similar spec vehicles to mine and current asking prices appear to me to be very high. Motorway are suggesting £41000 and yet I see many offered for sale, both private and trade, for up to mid £ fifties. Whilst I would like a clean and fairly quick sale I am struggling to make sense of what is fair and reasonable. I accept that Motorway will probably be the cheapest offer and have in mind that if I try for a private sale I could go for a price better than that yet one that will be better for the buyer too (a sort of win/win for both parties).

I am just about to have the van serviced (oil, air and fuel filter service) and it still has 9 months of All-In warranty.

I am just wondering if any one here has any recent experience regarding selling or buying. I don't want to be over zestful in my desire to sell and ask a silly (and unnecessary?) low price yet neither do I want to go high and simply fail to sell.

Any thoughts anyone?
What I would say from recently selling our caravan (all in on the Cali now!) is that Autotrader is well worth the money - for better or worse it seems to have a lot more trust than other channels and for me once I finally bit the bullet I got decent buyers in touch and moved it quickly for my asking price...unlike facebook / gumtree which were terrible!
 
Hi team, the time has come (with a little sadness) to sell the van. I have checked out a few prices for similar spec vehicles to mine and current asking prices appear to me to be very high. Motorway are suggesting £41000 and yet I see many offered for sale, both private and trade, for up to mid £ fifties. Whilst I would like a clean and fairly quick sale I am struggling to make sense of what is fair and reasonable. I accept that Motorway will probably be the cheapest offer and have in mind that if I try for a private sale I could go for a price better than that yet one that will be better for the buyer too (a sort of win/win for both parties).

I am just about to have the van serviced (oil, air and fuel filter service) and it still has 9 months of All-In warranty.

I am just wondering if any one here has any recent experience regarding selling or buying. I don't want to be over zestful in my desire to sell and ask a silly (and unnecessary?) low price yet neither do I want to go high and simply fail to sell.

Any thoughts anyone?
Not selling a California but found that Carwow gained a better price and easier sale with Carwow. Motorway really messed me around.
 
I am with @stoobthealien with this. I have sold a car and T6 van conversion on Autotrader without hassle. I would add, though, I bought the Cali through this site.
Both are worth a try if you are willing to accept a few weeks to sell.
 
You’ve nothing to lose sticking an advert on here - it’s how I found mine. Test Drive, Deal done, paid and collected within a week of it first being advertised and it was 3-4 hours away from me :)
 
Also you have to consider the time of year. With the summer season over you are going to get lower values. For example, I was quoted £55k from WBAC only 3 months ago. Now they are offering £48k. If you can, maybe you should hang fire until April/ May next year.
 
From what I've seen in the past the T6.1 Coast does need to be competitively priced vs the higher spec Ocean ( yes, some people want the manual roof...). Some hang around on sale for quite some time. I like the Coast but there a lot who prefer the full fat Ocean. A private sale price midway between your quoted 41 and 55k would be about right imo. Good luck with the sale.
 
I’d also make sure it’s clean. By that I mean really clean, detailed etc.
Inside door shuts, the channel below the sliding door, the roof in and around the scissor mechanism, all properly cleaned and polished.

Clean and detail under the bonnet.

Wheels off and deep clean.

Some photos people post on here are an eye opener!


Make it stand out. Take some good moody photos in nice location during the “golden hour”.

It’ll be worth the effort.
 
Thank you to everyone who has replied, a few interesting thoughts and comments for me to digest there...........

Yes it is not an ideal time to sell but quite frankly there is always some crisis or event on the horizon that can impact prices for good or bad imho.

My dealer can not service the van until 12 October when as it happens it is in for a look at emissions light warning so I really can not do much before then. So at least I have a while to decide which way to go. I will probably try here or Autotrader/Carwow first and see what happens. Without appearing too nonchalant about it, if I get 'my personal minimum' for the van I would rather have a quick sale and sell it to someone who will appreciate for what is is.

My mum always used to say "you only need one buyer" whether it was a car or a house for sale. I think this sentiment holds up along with 'it is only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it'.

Ah well, watch this space ..........
 
Last edited:
But, more importantly, does this mean that you will be leaving us? What will you do next?
I'm sure I'll be a lurker for a while, I enjoy this club. As for what next, well I could tell you but then I would have to........ haha, no I'm probably not allowed to complete that sentance on 't'internet' :D

I see life as a series of chapters, and now it's time to start a new one :thumb
 
Last edited:
I'm sure I'll be a lurker for a while, I enjoy this club. As for what next, well I could tell you but then I would have to........ haha, no I'm probably not allowed to complete that sentance on 't'internet' :D

I see life as a series of chapters, and now it's time to start a new one :thumb
How very enigmatic. Just don’t get to the end of the book too soon :D .

As for the subject matter. I’ve always sold privately and I’ve always felt like I’ve been lucky enough to sell to the right person too. If I didn’t like them they didn’t buy my vehicle. I’m not sure how that worked, but it did.

I’ve always used autotrader, but the club site last time. Yes, always cleaned, washed, waxed etc really well. I tend to price in the middle somewhere, but take a sensible offer. I guess that’s where the ‘liking’ bit comes in to it - the same offer can be both sensible and offensive depending on how the person deals with you.
 
Back
Top