New bellows problem - split in the rubber/ stitching

C

CaliforniaCylus

Top Poster
VIP Member
Messages
709
Location
UK
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
As per the title, I have a worsening split in the rubber piping, bellows lower corner drivers side (UK).

It started as a small ray of light but I just thought it was one of the "natural" perforations in the T6.1 latest bellows.

But it started growing and it is splitting stitch by stitch. Takes a few days before another one pops.

3 year old California so two years left on the factory extended warranty.

What are my chances of a warranty fix?

I've got a sneaky suspicion that this is another weak flaw with these bellows and expect we'll be seeing a lot more with this problem...

1000035507.jpg

1000034998.jpg
 
It's a warranty claim. End of.

Manufacturing fault or not fit for purpose it was designed for !

Report back to help.
 
As per the title, I have a worsening split in the rubber piping, bellows lower corner drivers side (UK).

It started as a small ray of light but I just thought it was one of the "natural" perforations in the T6.1 latest bellows.

But it started growing and it is splitting stitch by stitch. Takes a few days before another one pops.

3 year old California so two years left on the factory extended warranty.

What are my chances of a warranty fix?

I've got a sneaky suspicion that this is another weak flaw with these bellows and expect we'll be seeing a lot more with this problem...

View attachment 149979

View attachment 149980
I have a horrible feeling that ours might be going the same way. Do you think VW central might refer it back to the dealer/fitter if it is a replacement bellows?
 
I have a horrible feeling that ours might be going the same way. Do you think VW central might refer it back to the dealer/fitter if it is a replacement bellows?
I have no idea what they might try to do... To me it just looks like a design limitation but 3 years isn't long.

I suspect, but obviously can't prove it, since VW say there is no problem, that the constant re-tensioning has caused this to fail earlier than it otherwise would have done. The saggy bellows means it's either automatically re-tensioning or I'm doing it manually several times a day. If they'd fixed that I'm certain the bellows would have lasted beyond the 5 year mark. But probably not much longer.

I'm dropping by a dealer in a couple of weeks to try and ascertain if they will put a warranty claim in. Their official line was that it needed booking on for 2 to 3 hours of diagnostic work (for real, eh??) with presumably a 500 quid charge and no guarantee VW will play ball.

I'm hoping when they look at it they will see what nonsense that is. But who knows.
 
I have noticed that the bellows on our 6.1 fitted with replacement O6S bellows are under alot of tension. They have not had alot of use yet, so l hope this is not a regular problem. Good luck with VW, and report back the result.
 
03S bellows replaced with 06S today under warranty. Relatively stress-free and initial look seems to indicate a decent job. But I was tired after a 6 hour train journey to collect from the dealer so will look more closely tomorrow.

First impressions were the 06S bellows were slightly more "relaxed", or generally under less tension...

Will report back after a closer look tomorrow...
 
Be aware that your 06s bellows may leak along the seam at the bottom of the front half moon opening. Suggest a little waterproofing may be order while the weather is dry. But it will be a whole lot better than the open air ventilation you previously had. ;)
 
I got "lucky" with my old 03s bellows. Never leaked - well they were the third iteration mind....

Always carried a can of Aquatex but never used it.

I'll need to think about using it on these. Likelihood is they'll now easily outlive my remaining warranty.

Breeze have done a decent job replacing the split ones, although they've had plenty of practice apparently!!
 
I got "lucky" with my old 03s bellows. Never leaked - well they were the third iteration mind....

Always carried a can of Aquatex but never used it.

I'll need to think about using it on these. Likelihood is they'll now easily outlive my remaining warranty.

Breeze have done a decent job replacing the split ones, although they've had plenty of practice apparently!!
I, too, am pleased with Breeze so far. Keep that aquatex on board. You never know when a fellow camper nay need it. :cool:
 
Back
Top