New 4-Motion Ocean owner.

T

TudorEdwards

Lifetime VIP Member
Messages
4
Location
United Kingdom
Vehicle
T7 California Ocean 4 Motion
I have wanted a road capable camper-van and now I have a 4-Motion Ocean. It will be used for cycling, kayaking, camping and day trips during our retirement. We will use it to get us and kit to more luxurious accommodation across Europe over multiple days. Saving money by avoiding toll roads and enjoying stop-over locations. A mix-n-match approach to holidays.

We need to develop our strategy for using the VW California Ocean effectively. Learning from other van owners will be appreciated.
 
I have wanted a road capable camper-van and now I have a 4-Motion Ocean. It will be used for cycling, kayaking, camping and day trips during our retirement. We will use it to get us and kit to more luxurious accommodation across Europe over multiple days. Saving money by avoiding toll roads and enjoying stop-over locations. A mix-n-match approach to holidays.

We need to develop our strategy for using the VW California Ocean effectively. Learning from other van owners will be appreciated.
Hello fellow 4 motion owner.
Just to let you know that we are enjoying our vehicle very much and you will get a lot of nay sayers who don't see the point of your choice of vehicle. However, I love the fact that ours just sits comfortably on the road in slow and fast conditions, up hill and down dale. It is both flexible and comfortable.
We're currently in Norway and our 4M hasn't skipped a beat over the 4,000 miles we have done in the last month.
We also find the bed comfortable with a topper and an electric blanket? Who wants to get into a cold bed. A tip from the forum was to put these into a single duvet cover to simplify bed making, just roll it out when you need it. Of course you may prefer sleeping bags.
Suggest you research a tow bar bike rack.
:welcome
 
Hello fellow 4 motion owner.
Just to let you know that we are enjoying our vehicle very much and you will get a lot of nay sayers who don't see the point of your choice of vehicle. However, I love the fact that ours just sits comfortably on the road in slow and fast conditions, up hill and down dale. It is both flexible and comfortable.
We're currently in Norway and our 4M hasn't skipped a beat over the 4,000 miles we have done in the last month.
We also find the bed comfortable with a topper and an electric blanket? Who wants to get into a cold bed. A tip from the forum was to put these into a single duvet cover to simplify bed making, just roll it out when you need it. Of course you may prefer sleeping bags.
Suggest you research a tow bar bike rack.
:welcome
Thank you for your reply. Yes, I am enjoying the on the road capability of the 4M.

I got a factory fitted tow bar. However, I found out that I can get two cycles in the cab without taking wheels off. I use a small two cycle rack from decathlon to locate the cycle then I strap them up. A five minute operation. I may use the towbar cycle rack if I need the space in the cab.

I may get a bed topper in the future. Someone suggested bringing the mattress from the pop-up down as a viable alternative. I have not tried this technique to sleep on yet but have tried the mattress. Of course this mattress is slightly wider but is flexible enough to fit comfortably.

IMG_5988.jpeg

IMG_5987.jpeg

IMG_5980.jpeg

IMG_5979.jpeg
 
Thank you for your reply. Yes, I am enjoying the on the road capability of the 4M.

I got a factory fitted tow bar. However, I found out that I can get two cycles in the cab without taking wheels off. I use a small two cycle rack from decathlon to locate the cycle then I strap them up. A five minute operation. I may use the towbar cycle rack if I need the space in the cab.

I may get a bed topper in the future. Someone suggested bringing the mattress from the pop-up down as a viable alternative. I have not tried this technique to sleep on yet but have tried the mattress. Of course this mattress is slightly wider but is flexible enough to fit comfortably.

View attachment 150974

View attachment 150975

View attachment 150976

View attachment 150977
Impressed with the bike solution and great for going to Europe if that is what you want to do. In that case I would definitely recommend using the upstairs bed.
I note you have a T7. In which case, the lower bed mattress takes up a lot of valuable storage space which you could leave at home if you dedicate yourself to sleeping upstairs. Also, if there are only two of you, you can also leave one rear seat at home which will give you better space to store your bikes.
PS I hope the bikes don't get muddy!
 
Impressed with the bike solution and great for going to Europe if that is what you want to do. In that case I would definitely recommend using the upstairs bed.
I note you have a T7. In which case, the lower bed mattress takes up a lot of valuable storage space which you could leave at home if you dedicate yourself to sleeping upstairs. Also, if there are only two of you, you can also leave one rear seat at home which will give you better space to store your bikes.
PS I hope the bikes don't get muddy!
Muddy bikes would be a problem.

I suppose it is similar to a muddy dog.You are unlikely to leave a muddy dog in a box attached to the towbar. Perhaps, I would have to use the shower attachment to rinse the bike off and then dry with a towel. Just like you would do for a muddy dog.

Yes, I would have to try different configurations. There is only two of us travelling so ditching the double bed and the removable seats is a viable option. Has anyone done this on a regular basis?
 
Muddy bikes would be a problem.

I suppose it is similar to a muddy dog.You are unlikely to leave a muddy dog in a box attached to the towbar. Perhaps, I would have to use the shower attachment to rinse the bike off and then dry with a towel. Just like you would do for a muddy dog.

Yes, I would have to try different configurations. There is only two of us travelling so ditching the double bed and the removable seats is a viable option. Has anyone done this on a regular basis?
Ah so that's what the shower is for!
There have been a number of posts suggesting the kitchen side seat is removed. It is still possible to use the downstairs mattress base with just the outer chair in position.
However, if you don't use the lower bed then the chunky lower mattress can stay at home with one of the chairs and you can remove whichever rear seat you want.
Possibly better facing each other in camping mode than side by side as it allows you to cheat more successfully at cards!
 
Muddy bikes would be a problem.

I suppose it is similar to a muddy dog.You are unlikely to leave a muddy dog in a box attached to the towbar. Perhaps, I would have to use the shower attachment to rinse the bike off and then dry with a towel. Just like you would do for a muddy dog.

Yes, I would have to try different configurations. There is only two of us travelling so ditching the double bed and the removable seats is a viable option. Has anyone done this on a regular basis?
Yes, just two of us so we committed to upstairs sleeping and removed downstairs mattress / kitchen side chair on a number of trips now. We don’t take bikes though so we do store the loo in the seat spot instead with cushion cover over it so technically still have a seat if wanted. Does make life easier to come down to the ‘lounge’ from the bedroom rather than than have to convert daily. Also got lots more storage in the back.

Each to their own - I just love the flexibility. It is currently all empty and will be used as a van this weekend to take furniture down to my son’s new flat. Camping again the following weekend.
 
I have wanted a road capable camper-van and now I have a 4-Motion Ocean. It will be used for cycling, kayaking, camping and day trips during our retirement. We will use it to get us and kit to more luxurious accommodation across Europe over multiple days. Saving money by avoiding toll roads and enjoying stop-over locations. A mix-n-match approach to holidays.

We need to develop our strategy for using the VW California Ocean effectively. Learning from other van owners will be appreciated.
Hi and welcome.
We have a 14 plate Cali 4 motion. It has been brilliant for donders down to Italy and back over the past 10 years. One thing that has recently made our life easier is a Sea to Summit inflatable mattress combined with a Flextail rechargeable pump. It means that you don’t have to carry around a topper or the thin Cali mattress and you can leave the inflatable mattress up top (provided it’s fully deflated) when you put the roof down. Saves a lot of space and hassle!
Tip 2. Be minimalist!
I hope you enjoy your Cali!
 
Impressed with the bike solution and great for going to Europe if that is what you want to do. In that case I would definitely recommend using the upstairs bed.
I note you have a T7. In which case, the lower bed mattress takes up a lot of valuable storage space which you could leave at home if you dedicate yourself to sleeping upstairs. Also, if there are only two of you, you can also leave one rear seat at home which will give you better space to store your bikes.
PS I hope the bikes don't get muddy!
 
I just got a T7 hybrid 4motion . We have electric bikes which are heavy. We have a tow bar which is essential if you have bikes as can’t have a bike rack on the boot door . I got a Thule one which has a neat ramp that slots in either side . (No lifting then required ) The only observation is although it will tip away from the boot door the tailgate will not pass the bikes so they need to be removed to access the boot . Either way we find it is great .
 
We have the Atera Strada DL4 which works well. Unfortunately I am unable to comment on the Thule. But I am pleased you are happy with your purchase.
I just got a T7 hybrid 4motion . We have electric bikes which are heavy. We have a tow bar which is essential if you have bikes as can’t have a bike rack on the boot door . I got a Thule one which has a neat ramp that slots in either side . (No lifting then required ) The only observation is although it will tip away from the boot door the tailgate will not pass the bikes so they need to be removed to access the boot . Either way we find it is great .
 
Back
Top