Need to replace Auxiliar Leasure batteries on T6.1 Ocean

ddgp

ddgp

Messages
90
Location
Switzerland
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Hello everyone,

I need to replace the auxiliary batteries in my T6.1 California Ocean.

After 6 years, my two AGM batteries don’t seem to be performing as well anymore, which I guess is normal.

My current batteries are 75 Ah AGM, 315 × 175 × 190 mm.

I’m considering two options:

Option 1 – Stay with AGM
  • Replace the two original 75 Ah batteries.
  • Q1: Is there a higher-capacity AGM that fits the same dimensions?
  • Q1.1: If I replace them myself, do they need to be registered/coded, or can I simply swap them?
  • Q1.2: What exact AGM model would you recommend?

Option 2 – Switch to LiFePO₄
  • Replace the two AGMs with one larger LiFePO₄ under the driver’s seat, plus a DC-DC booster.
  • Q2: What is the largest battery that can realistically fit there?
  • Q2.1: What exact battery model have you successfully installed in a T6.1 Ocean?
  • Q2.2: What additional cables, fuses, charger/booster, etc. are required?
I’m particularly interested in real experiences from T6.1 California Ocean owners, including the exact battery models and dimensions.

Thanks guys.

(If this has been discussed in another thread please feel free to point me out to the right thread)
 
Hello everyone,

I need to replace the auxiliary batteries in my T6.1 California Ocean.

After 6 years, my two AGM batteries don’t seem to be performing as well anymore, which I guess is normal.

My current batteries are 75 Ah AGM, 315 × 175 × 190 mm.

I’m considering two options:

Option 1 – Stay with AGM
  • Replace the two original 75 Ah batteries.
  • Q1: Is there a higher-capacity AGM that fits the same dimensions?
  • Q1.1: If I replace them myself, do they need to be registered/coded, or can I simply swap them?
  • Q1.2: What exact AGM model would you recommend?

Option 2 – Switch to LiFePO₄
  • Replace the two AGMs with one larger LiFePO₄ under the driver’s seat, plus a DC-DC booster.
  • Q2: What is the largest battery that can realistically fit there?
  • Q2.1: What exact battery model have you successfully installed in a T6.1 Ocean?
  • Q2.2: What additional cables, fuses, charger/booster, etc. are required?
I’m particularly interested in real experiences from T6.1 California Ocean owners, including the exact battery models and dimensions.

Thanks guys.

(If this has been discussed in another thread please feel free to point me out to the right thread)
Scroll down below my post and check the relevant threads .
 
Hello everyone,

I need to replace the auxiliary batteries in my T6.1 California Ocean.

After 6 years, my two AGM batteries don’t seem to be performing as well anymore, which I guess is normal.

My current batteries are 75 Ah AGM, 315 × 175 × 190 mm.

I’m considering two options:

Option 1 – Stay with AGM
  • Replace the two original 75 Ah batteries.
  • Q1: Is there a higher-capacity AGM that fits the same dimensions?
  • Q1.1: If I replace them myself, do they need to be registered/coded, or can I simply swap them?
  • Q1.2: What exact AGM model would you recommend?

Option 2 – Switch to LiFePO₄
  • Replace the two AGMs with one larger LiFePO₄ under the driver’s seat, plus a DC-DC booster.
  • Q2: What is the largest battery that can realistically fit there?
  • Q2.1: What exact battery model have you successfully installed in a T6.1 Ocean?
  • Q2.2: What additional cables, fuses, charger/booster, etc. are required?
I’m particularly interested in real experiences from T6.1 California Ocean owners, including the exact battery models and dimensions.

Thanks guys.

(If this has been discussed in another thread please feel free to point me out to the right thread)
Why exactly do you think your batteries must be replaced ? Did you perform a battery test somehow ?
Do you charge the batteries occasionally 24 hours via the EHU?
 
Why exactly do you think your batteries must be replaced ? Did you perform a battery test somehow ?
Do you charge the batteries occasionally 24 hours via the EHU?
Tbh I rarely charge then since I installed 200w solar panels on the roof. But I should have.

The experience is that on the main dash it gives less than 11.9v or less of using the fridge for 1 day and being cloudy.

I have tested them and the rear one gives less than 12v of output. The front one is fine. I was recommended to replace them.
 
Tbh I rarely charge then since I installed 200w solar panels on the roof. But I should have.

The experience is that on the main dash it gives less than 11.9v or less of using the fridge for 1 day and being cloudy.

I have tested them and the rear one gives less than 12v of output. The front one is fine. I was recommended to replace them.
I would be tempted to go for LiFePO4
Thread 'Califaktur / Saftkiste Lithium Battery Upgrade'
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/califaktur-saftkiste-lithium-battery-upgrade.60842/
But it is expensive..
Varta has replacement for original batteries, I believe the capacity is now 80Ah. Very expensive at VW, I wonder if they choose battery pair with exact same characteristics for best performance, that would explain higher price.
Plenty of threads on battery replacement on the forum.
I think you can also try to regenerate older batteries with some external battery charger, try google on the subject.
Just to be sure , did you check the cube fuse on the ‘bad’ battery ?
With solar both batteries should stay in top condition for long time.
 
Last edited:
I'd be tempted to check your rear battery is still connected to the electrical system, sounds like the cube fuse has blown.
MY T5.1 is still on its original batteries all round at 12 years old, look after them and they last.
 
I'd be tempted to check your rear battery is still connected to the electrical system, sounds like the cube fuse has blown.
MY T5.1 is still on its original batteries all round at 12 years old, look after them and they last.
Thanks for your reply. One seems good voltage but the otherone not
 
Thanks for your reply. One seems good voltage but the otherone not
I'm very surprised that with 200w of Solar you aren't seeing a higher voltage on the one battery..
 
Thanks for your reply. One seems good voltage but the otherone not
With nothing disconnected check both battery voltages should be the same
Start car or connect EHU
Check both battery voltages again they should be the same.
Check on the battery posts direct.
 
Hello everyone,

I need to replace the auxiliary batteries in my T6.1 California Ocean.

After 6 years, my two AGM batteries don’t seem to be performing as well anymore, which I guess is normal.

My current batteries are 75 Ah AGM, 315 × 175 × 190 mm.

I’m considering two options:

Option 1 – Stay with AGM
  • Replace the two original 75 Ah batteries.
  • Q1: Is there a higher-capacity AGM that fits the same dimensions?
  • Q1.1: If I replace them myself, do they need to be registered/coded, or can I simply swap them?
  • Q1.2: What exact AGM model would you recommend?

Option 2 – Switch to LiFePO₄
  • Replace the two AGMs with one larger LiFePO₄ under the driver’s seat, plus a DC-DC booster.
  • Q2: What is the largest battery that can realistically fit there?
  • Q2.1: What exact battery model have you successfully installed in a T6.1 Ocean?
  • Q2.2: What additional cables, fuses, charger/booster, etc. are required?
I’m particularly interested in real experiences from T6.1 California Ocean owners, including the exact battery models and dimensions.

Thanks guys.

(If this has been discussed in another thread please feel free to point me out to the right thread)
I replaced mine with two Titan 105aah, smaller than the original. The newer version is 120ah. 240ah useable power then. Rather than the 75ah usable of AGM.
Q2.2. Nothing.
 
Back
Top