Locking yourself out ?

  • Thread starter Gliderbee California 6.1
  • Start date
I use my key blade often to get into the car for something. Living in a saline environment, I additionally like to know the manual lock gets exercised occasionally.
 
Last year the following occured:

By pressing the key while I was inside the van, all doors were locked.
I didn't really pay attention to this, and a bit later, I left the van through the sliding door and shut the door behind me (with the keys still inside).
When I returned, everthing was locked, also the sliding door ....

Luckily, the roof top was up, and I could open the zipper from the big opening from the outside and thus enter the van and get to my keys.
But what if the roof top would have been down ?

So: is there a way to prevent the doors from locking with the key when the key is inside the van (my "normal" car can do that ..) ?

Thx,
Stefan.
It pay to have the VW app. Then you can lock / unlock from your phone
 
It pay to have the VW app. Then you can lock / unlock from your phone
I have the app but haven't re-subscribed since it lapsed last year. If I needed to use the app to unlock the van is it as simple as resubscribing to the app or would I need to be in the van to activate something..?
 
It pay to have the VW app. Then you can lock / unlock from your phone
I have the app (mostly to be able to open the van when my childeren use it and would have lost the key), but in this situation (where I was using the van), my phone was locked in also :) .
An externally hidden keyblade is the solution.
 
The Boss keeps the spare key in her handbag in a faraday pouch
 
You were so Lucky to get in I wasn’t.

Called breakdown Service they couldn’t get in and we had to smash a window.


I now have hidden key. If I were locked out again I would call a car
Lock smith. I didn’t realise that was an optional until later.
 
We locked ourselves out on a sunny sunday on a campsite in Spain. I made a phonecall to my insurance company and two hours later a towtruck came to the site. A man got out, walked around Woodstock II, our Coach, told us "Muy complicado", got two small rubber bags from his car, wriggeled these between the drivers door, pumped air in them and pressed the lock button with a stiff electric cable. No harm to the door, the hard part was to get to the button with a cable with a length from about 1 meter.
 
timely reminder for everyone, so thanks for the prompt!

I’ve done this twice, both times having unlocked the van & only then opened the sliding door, put down key inside & then closed it again. presumably this is a Transporter ‘security feature’ for DHL delivery drivers & similar.

T5 had the pop top up so I managed to climb up & down, and more recently on T6 nearside sliding window was open an inch so I found a long stick & was able to reach the drivers side central locking button …

will be getting a blade from Timpsons & a magnetic box next!
 
timely reminder for everyone, so thanks for the prompt!

I’ve done this twice, both times having unlocked the van & only then opened the sliding door, put down key inside & then closed it again. presumably this is a Transporter ‘security feature’ for DHL delivery drivers & similar.

T5 had the pop top up so I managed to climb up & down, and more recently on T6 nearside sliding window was open an inch so I found a long stick & was able to reach the drivers side central locking button …

will be getting a blade from Timpsons & a magnetic box next!
I'm trying to understand what happened and tried to reconstruct what happened in my case:
- van unlocked and a door open: I tried both with the sliding door and the passenger door (for me on the same side)
- locking with the remote
- close door
- then everything is locked
So: by closing with the remote, the lock of the door that is open at that moment is also engaged, hence when you close the door (possibly with keys inside and you outside) , all doors will be locked and you've locked yourself out.

I have a spare blade now, and I'm looking for a good place to hide it, but there are more or less opposing criteria for a "good" place:
- it must be relatively easy to reach for me (I mean without tools; those, if any, would be inside the van).
- it must be invisible for anyone throwing a glance underneath the van

I have the key wrapped in strong tape with a very strong magnet.

I guess it's not a good idea to ask everyone here to post his/her favourite hiding place :cool: .
 
It pay to have the VW app. Then you can lock / unlock from your phone
There have been so many times when I wanted to unlock the camper with the phone app but it didn't work. It turns out that my privacy settings automatically revert to maximimum privacy for reasons unknown. I suspect as a result of a software update but I haven't really gotten a handle on it.
My point is, don't rely on the app.
 
There have been so many times when I wanted to unlock the camper with the phone app but it didn't work. It turns out that my privacy settings automatically revert to maximimum privacy for reasons unknown. I suspect as a result of a software update but I haven't really gotten a handle on it.
My point is, don't rely on the app.
And the feature isn't available on MY21 T6.1s either
 
I'm trying to understand what happened and tried to reconstruct what happened in my case:
- van unlocked and a door open: I tried both with the sliding door and the passenger door (for me on the same side)
- locking with the remote
- close door
- then everything is locked
So: by closing with the remote, the lock of the door that is open at that moment is also engaged, hence when you close the door (possibly with keys inside and you outside) , all doors will be locked and you've locked yourself out.

I have a spare blade now, and I'm looking for a good place to hide it, but there are more or less opposing criteria for a "good" place:
- it must be relatively easy to reach for me (I mean without tools; those, if any, would be inside the van).
- it must be invisible for anyone throwing a glance underneath the van

I have the key wrapped in strong tape with a very strong magnet.

I guess it's not a good idea to ask everyone here to post his/her favourite hiding place :cool: .
can you keep it on your house keys ?
 
can you keep it on your house keys ?
I thought about that, but I avoid taking stuff with me that I don't need while travelling. I could only loose it somewhere in a foreign country ...

That's why I usually hide the house keys somewhere to pick them up when returning.
 
I'm trying to understand what happened and tried to reconstruct what happened in my case:
- van unlocked and a door open: I tried both with the sliding door and the passenger door (for me on the same side)
- locking with the remote
- close door
- then everything is locked
So: by closing with the remote, the lock of the door that is open at that moment is also engaged, hence when you close the door (possibly with keys inside and you outside) , all doors will be locked and you've locked yourself out.

I have a spare blade now, and I'm looking for a good place to hide it, but there are more or less opposing criteria for a "good" place:
- it must be relatively easy to reach for me (I mean without tools; those, if any, would be inside the van).
- it must be invisible for anyone throwing a glance underneath the van

I have the key wrapped in strong tape with a very strong magnet.

I guess it's not a good idea to ask everyone here to post his/her favourite hiding place :cool: .
Don’t tell him Pike!
No, really, don’t tell him. I bet someone suggests the place I want to put it and then I can no longer use that place because the cat will be out of the bag.
(Good luck to non-English readers understanding that post).
 
Don’t tell him Pike!
No, really, don’t tell him. I bet someone suggests the place I want to put it and then I can no longer use that place because the cat will be out of the bag.
(Good luck to non-English readers understanding that post).
Why wouldn't we understand it ? For me anyway, it's crystal clear :).

I understand your point, and that's why I wrote: "I guess it's not a good idea to ask everyone here to post his/her favourite hiding place".

My problem is: if I find a good hiding place, why wouldn't a thief find it ?
 
Why wouldn't we understand it ? For me anyway, it's crystal clear :).

I understand your point, and that's why I wrote: "I guess it's not a good idea to ask everyone here to post his/her favourite hiding place".

My problem is: if I find a good hiding place, why wouldn't a thief find it ?
No offence meant regarding your grasp of English. I thought that Pike, cats and bags might have been too obscurely English idioms to be universal. I also didn’t realise that you were not English. Anyway, before I risk digging myself deeper, moving on…

It’s a game that we even play at home. I suggest a ‘safe place’ for a couple of treasured items while we’re on holiday and my wife says, “Well, that’s obvious to a burglar”. She’ll then suggest an alternative and I’ll say “No, first place I’d look.” Then, it’s her turn to reject my suggestion and so it goes on.

However, we did finally settle on 3(!) excellently devious places, which I sadly can’t reveal to the world for obvious reasons. Although even this revelation does now mean that if any burglar knows where Acer lives, they won’t stop ransacking the house until all 3 places have been found. :eek:
 
No offence meant regarding your grasp of English. I thought that Pike, cats and bags might have been too obscurely English idioms to be universal. I also didn’t realise that you were not English. Anyway, before I risk digging myself deeper, moving on…

It’s a game that we even play at home. I suggest a ‘safe place’ for a couple of treasured items while we’re on holiday and my wife says, “Well, that’s obvious to a burglar”. She’ll then suggest an alternative and I’ll say “No, first place I’d look.” Then, it’s her turn to reject my suggestion and so it goes on.

However, we did finally settle on 3(!) excellently devious places, which I sadly can’t reveal to the world for obvious reasons. Although even this revelation does now mean that if any burglar knows where Acer lives, they won’t stop ransacking the house until all 3 places have been found. :eek:
Dad's Army was on Belgian television long ago ! Great series, and I love British humour.

>Although even this revelation does now mean that if any burglar knows where Acer lives, they won’t >stop ransacking the house until all 3 places have been found.
I do think that the best protection indeed starts with not revealing that something might be hidden somewhere.
So let it be known to the World from now on: I WILL NOT HIDE A KEY SOMEWHER ON, IN, UP OR UNDER MY VAN :cool: !
 
Dad's Army was on Belgian television long ago ! Great series, and I love British humour.

>Although even this revelation does now mean that if any burglar knows where Acer lives, they won’t >stop ransacking the house until all 3 places have been found.
I do think that the best protection indeed starts with not revealing that something might be hidden somewhere.
So let it be known to the World from now on: I WILL NOT HIDE A KEY SOMEWHER ON, IN, UP OR UNDER MY VAN :cool: !
“In” or “under”, might be okay, but definitely not “up”. Of course we all know why don’t we? “They don’t like it up ‘em.”
 
Back
Top