Interior lights and emergency calls + Water ingress

jam_hod

jam_hod

Messages
71
Location
Buckingham, Bucks
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Last two drives this kept happening, emergency calls starting on their own, interior lights turning on and off without us touching anything!

Anyone else experiencing this phenomenon!?

Unable to upload video as it says wrong file type, is there a way to upload a video?

Here's a link to the video https://photos.app.goo.gl/FSmnvsQXQ9u933cq5
 
I've seen others mention that dust or muck on the lights can trigger them as they are touch sensitive, give them a really good clean and see what happens.
 
I've seen others mention that dust or muck on the lights can trigger them as they are touch sensitive, give them a really good clean and see what happens.

Yes I wondered that, but surely this wouldn't trigger the emergency call to start and also the light on door open button to randomly come on off too?
 
I have partly the same problem, my lights turn on off randomly. Rest of the buttons don't work at all. This might be caused by water coming into the console via the antenna. I think the dealer put a high pressure hose on the antenna and some water seeped through. It's drying very very slowly and the problem seems to slowly solve itself. If not, I need to go back tot the dealer.
 
I have partly the same problem, my lights turn on off randomly. Rest of the buttons don't work at all. This might be caused by water coming into the console via the antenna. I think the dealer put a high pressure hose on the antenna and some water seeped through. It's drying very very slowly and the problem seems to slowly solve itself. If not, I need to go back tot the dealer.
Where did they see water coming in, that is not good as imagine in a few years time the rust/electrical damage caused!?
 
They didn't. I discovered it on the way home when we picked the van up from the dealership. There were a few waterdroplets in the lights. The water is slowly evaporating, everthing works after that and if it is a one-time thing, I don't expect problems in the future. If it persists, the dealer probably has to replace the whole unit.
 
I had the same problem in a Skoda enyaq which has the same panel. In the end all interior lights stopped working. It was changed under warranty. Managed to cancel the calls in time before they were answered… just!
 
I had the same problem in a Skoda enyaq which has the same panel. In the end all interior lights stopped working. It was changed under warranty. Managed to cancel the calls in time before they were answered… just!
It also seems to turn on all the interior lights when locked as I locked and walked away earlier all lights definitely off and came back 10mins later and all the interior lights were on. When I hit unlock they went off!
It's going in on Friday so will add this issue to the list
 
Further update, took it to the dealer and they said yes console needs replacing, I now have to assume that was caused by water ingress which is what I now suspect due to the water dripping from it and the amount of water behind the hatch I have just opened. We have not put the pop top up more than a few times just to check it works as not actually camped in it yet - supposed to be at Christmas and definitely haven;t put it up in the rain so can only assume there is a big water leak from the rain somewhere.

Has anyone else experienced this?

20251218_120137.jpg20251218_130712.jpg20251218_130723.jpg
 
Last edited:
Hello, I was wondering if any of the posters in this thread who experienced this issue managed to get it fully resolved? I've just got a Cali Ocean and have water dripping from the interior light and the none of the buttons working.
 
Hello, I was wondering if any of the posters in this thread who experienced this issue managed to get it fully resolved? I've just got a Cali Ocean and have water dripping from the interior light and the none of the buttons working.
Ours had the exterior panel between the top of the front windscreen and the pop top replaced, they said that aluminium panel had a hairline crack in it! I'm not sure I believed that, but it didn't leak afterwards, HOWEVER I only kept it for a month after with little rain whilst my vehicle rejection was being processed before it was returned so I cannot be 100% certain that was the fix, but it looked promising.
 
Hmm interesting thank you. I think I can see some sort of split in the panel at the top of the screen.

If it’s not too nosey, can I ask why you rejected the vehicle? Was it because of the water ingress?
 
For completeness, by the end the list of issues I had experienced included:

• Water ingress through the overhead roof console
• Standing water inside the pop-top roof area
• Interior lights switching on and off by themselves
• Emergency/SOS calls triggering while driving
• Starter battery losing around 5–10% per day while parked
• Condensation in a rear light cluster from delivery
• Excessive rattling, squeaking and banging from the rear cupboards
• Travel Assist warning sounds that were almost inaudible
• Crackling/interference affecting Android Auto and the VW voice assistant
• Carpet mats paid for with the van but never supplied

The water ingress and electrical issues around the roof console were obviously the biggest concern.

The van went into VW several times, including spending a full week with them initially without any of the faults being resolved. I eventually gave them a final opportunity to repair it and it then remained with them continuously from just before Christmas until February.

During that period major parts were replaced, including the roof control unit and aerial assembly, but unfortunately their own post-repair testing confirmed that water was still getting in.

At that point the van had spent a significant amount of time off the road, the repair attempt had failed and I’d completely lost confidence in it, particularly around the potential longer-term effects of water getting into the roof electronics.

I therefore exercised my final right to reject it under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 and the rejection was ultimately completed.

Although they did return the vehicle with the replaced roof panel, which as I said appeared to have fix the water ingress I had already rejected it by that point.

The particularly frustrating bit was that despite owning it for nearly 6 months, we had never actually slept in it or properly used it for camping. All of this happened before we'd really had the chance to use the California for what we bought it for.

A real shame as I genuinely wanted the van rather than my money back, but eventually there were just too many issues and too much uncertainty to take it back again.
 
Eeesh…thanks for the reply. Sounds like an awful experience and I’m glad you managed to reject the vehicle.

I am also worried about the long term effects of the water.
 
Yes, my camper has also been stuck at the workshop since June 3rd for the exact same problem. First, the lights were flashing intermittently, then the SOS button would activate by itself. There was a crack in the part above, near the antenna. Water was leaking inside. I am still waiting for the spare part. I am starting to hate VW.
 
This water ingress is bad, where else can the water track to and lead to further issues at a later date.
 
Mine is due to go into VW in October due to the water ingress issue.
I wonder how long i will be without it? :-(
Here is a picture of the cracked panel:2.jpg
 
Is this the aluminium roof cracking or the paint?
 
Definitely the aluminium, here is a closer pic

IMG_3809.jpeg
 
Hello,

I have a T7 and have a water ingress on the roof lamp. This ingress come from the same roof crack as JamesW. This parts of the roof seams to be made of plastic. The light was full of water.

View attachment IMG_1438.jpeg

​

 
Hello,

no, I took the car to VW for an inspection tree weeks ago, but I still haven't heard anything back. If the repair involves replacing it with the same part, I'd rather wait for a better solution—assuming there is one. In the meantime, I put gaffer tape the creak, which seams to have fixed the leak.
 
Mine has a similar crack above the antenna. VW Van Centre in MK arranging for bodyshop inspection asap to determine extent of damage. Hopefully gelcoat but have my doubts.
Issues to date
Starter battery(day 1)
Cracks in plastic interior front panel in pop-top(3months)
Oil warning light 5500miles
Crack in roof panel(today)
Standard VW flaws
 
Back
Top