Grand California intermittent Buzzing inside when camped?

Maidment_Grand

Maidment_Grand

VIP Member
Messages
417
Location
Uk
Vehicle
Grand California 600
Hi All, we camped in our new Grand Cali for the first time this weekend and when on hook up and in camping mode intermittently what sounded like a buzzing or vibration started inside and seemed to come from the dashboard area. I went outside and it sounded like maybe the fuel pump priming which I know is common when you open the front doors however we were sat down inside without opening doors. If I turned the ignition on it went off but seemed to come back on later, sometimes when we did something like connect a 12 V socket or something like that.
Would the fuel pump prime if it recognised a side door being opened or not closed properly?

We did camp in a hire Grand we had for two months without noticing this issue, so hopefully it’s not just our inexperience.

Any thoughts on this please?
 
Hi All, we camped in our new Grand Cali for the first time this weekend and when on hook up and in camping mode intermittently what sounded like a buzzing or vibration started inside and seemed to come from the dashboard area. I went outside and it sounded like maybe the fuel pump priming which I know is common when you open the front doors however we were sat down inside without opening doors. If I turned the ignition on it went off but seemed to come back on later, sometimes when we did something like connect a 12 V socket or something like that.
Would the fuel pump prime if it recognised a side door being opened or not closed properly?

We did camp in a hire Grand we had for two months without noticing this issue, so hopefully it’s not just our inexperience.

Any thoughts on this please?
I’ve had similar behaviour on these vans, and from what you’re describing, I wouldn’t immediately suspect the fuel pump. The buzzing/vibration from around the dash when you’re in camping mode and hooked up is more likely to be one of the 12V systems, a relay, fan, or another control module waking up. The fact that it stops when you turn the ignition on and sometimes starts again after using something on the 12V circuit would make me look at the electrical side first.

As far as I know, simply opening or leaving a side door open shouldn’t cause the fuel pump to repeatedly prime. The pump can run briefly when the vehicle systems wake up, but it shouldn’t continually cycle just because a camping door is open. I’d keep an ear on it and, if possible, try to pinpoint exactly where the noise is coming from. If it’s definitely coming from the dashboard area and is happening repeatedly while hooked up, I’d get VW to check it rather than assuming it’s normal—especially since you had a hire Grand Cali for two months and never noticed it.

Hopefully it’s just a normal relay/control-module noise, but with a new van I’d have it documented and checked under warranty.
 
I did a bit more testing, when I plugged in to hook up power a few minutes later the buzzing/pumping was apparent in the Van coming from left side-dashboard / footwell, if I go outside it’s passenger side wheel arch you can hear it best, it’s a whining which I’ve always associated with the fuel pump. I then timed it and it lasted for five minutes ish, If I then use something like the display screen in the van and look at the battery status and press the update button it refreshes the screen to show the voltage on the Van battery and the noise starts again ( not always for 5m, sometimes longer). Everything seems to be working, just trying to understand what’s going on.
 
Back
Top