Fixing droopy headliner

Tycho

Tycho

Messages
125
Location
The Netherlands
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
After fixing the headliner in the cabin, this week the headliner under the poptop bed had to be repaired.
It took some force removing the bed from the hinge I managed to break one of the brackets on the bus so that needs to be replaced. The brackets are aluminium en break before they bend.
20260820_133750.jpg
As it turns out our 2006 Cali has no plastic brackets on the bed frame, its a welded steel bracket.
20260820_133218.jpg
I used a very course piece of aquatic filter sponge and a vacuum cleaner to remove the old sticky mix of glue and foam.
20260820_133335.jpg
Spray glued the new fabric on and reatached the headliner to the bed frame. Used some new 8mm plugs, the old ones all broke.
20260814_150310.jpg

20260820_133233.jpg
It is an easy diy job. Removing the bed frame is best done with 2 person. Roof up, unclip the 2 gas springs and remove the 2 bolts in the hinges and then carefully lift the frame.
 
You’re a bit of an expert in minimalist instructions. A lot more pictures (10x?) and details would help others a great deal to copy your method. I used more pictures to describe fixing the camping chair bases!

I would love some details of how you unclipped the cabin roof liner and did that. A lot of us have that problem and it would be great to see how you did it. Removing the thing is probably the most daunting task.

This is great stuff you’re doing. Very encouraging but I for one would love more details please…
 
Last edited:
Interesting selection of hammers!
 
W
You’re a bit of an expert in minimalist instructions. A lot more pictures (10x?) and details would help others a great deal to copy your method. I used more pictures to describe fixing the camping chair bases!

I would love some details of how you unclipped the cabin roof liner and did that. A lot of us have that problem and it would be great to see how you did it. Removing the thing is probably the most daunting task.

This is great stuff you’re doing. Very encouraging but I for one would love more details please…
Would this help?
If yes, perhaps could you compile the two into one one DIY thread?
 
W

Would this help?
If yes, perhaps could you compile the two into one one DIY thread?
Are you asking me or him? I have a feeling it’s not going to happen.
 
Asking you since you weren’t happy with OPs instructions
 
unclipped the cabin roof liner
The OEM clips will break , they are barely fit for purpose,
it is possible to remove them whilst attached to the frame , by prying the middle away from the outer(small screw driver) working from on top of the upper bed, working space is limited to access the plastic fixings, but it is possible and the chances of breaking / bending them is high.

If I were you I would use a v trim tool and simply pop the head off all the fixings,(break them ) allowing the roof liner to be removed from the frame. Get an assistant to support the liner to avoid damage when the fixing are being removed.

There are several fixings either side of the roof frame (approx 5nr either side) that will need to be removed to get the liner off the frame.

VW standard trim fixings, the light grey two piece type, can be used as a more robust replacement.
 
It’s almost like a tease! I’ll show you what I’ve done but not how I did it !
 
The OEM clips will break , they are barely fit for purpose,
it is possible to remove them whilst attached to the frame , by prying the middle away from the outer(small screw driver) working from on top of the upper bed, working space is limited to access the plastic fixings, but it is possible and the chances of breaking / bending them is high.

If I were you I would use a v trim tool and simply pop the head off all the fixings,(break them ) allowing the roof liner to be removed from the frame. Get an assistant to support the liner to avoid damage when the fixing are being removed.

There are several fixings either side of the roof frame (approx 5nr either side) that will need to be removed to get the liner off the frame.

VW standard trim fixings, the light grey two piece type, can be used as a more robust replacement.
This bit?
IMG_5355.jpeg
 
I am sorry Lambeth. I was trying to keep things short, my english is not that good. The less i write the less mistakes i make.

I did the fabric on most panels, first the side panel at the back of the van, the cabin aprox. a year ago and now underneath the poptop bed. The removal of the cabin piece is a pain in the ... The 'how to' is mentioned in other posts most about removing the hydrolic pump. I also made a short post about it.

Regarding the bed, i also first tried to remove the clips in situ like Perfectos wrote. But it did nor work for me. The clips are to long and the use of a lever tool ruins the panel on a important spot the needs to stay as firm as can be.
20260821_083221.jpg
The panel is made from white compressed PET fibers and holds its form until you start to work it to hard. Ones it lost its compressed form it becomes very soft and less sturdy.
20260821_083354.jpg
So i took the bed out to work on it on the workbench. I pulled the 10 plugs/clips out with a screw in the center of the plug that way the panel remained in shape. Most plugs broke at the tip.
20260821_083310.jpg
To get the bed out you need to unclip the gasstruth. At first i could not see how, but there is a piece of felt wraped around the tip, ones removed i could see the slot where a flat screwdriver can be put in to lift the steel spring that locks the struth.
20260821_093450.jpg
Lifting the bed out is a 2 person job. Firts lift the bed straight up into the poptop, then tilt so you can lower the bed into the lower part of the Cali. Then lift the back end up into the poptop so the front end can slide diagonal out the side door. To make room swiffel the seats.

The old cloth comes of easy, it is the old brownish foam that makes a mess. The original fabric has a foam back a few mm thick, this foam is the problem with the interior.
I used a different type of fabric than the original and went for a soft felt.
I also glued the felt inside the pouch that holds the hatch. It makes it sit nice and snug and stops the rattle we had when closing the hatch.

I also needed to replace the hinge part. First drilled out the 2 original rivets with a 5mm drill. Then fitted the new one. Because the rivets are a bit smaller than the hole width there is bit of room to wiggle it. Remembering the struggle i had and the broken bracket when removing the bed thw first time I decided to wait with fixing the hinge until the bed was in.
20260821_091041.jpg
20260821_092159.jpg
20260821_093035.jpg
20260821_093237.jpg

Putting the bed back in was easy. Hold the bed diagonal. Back end with the brackets first, straight up into the poptop. One person in the van and one outside. Ones the bed is inside and past the sliding door lift it up vertical into the poptop. Use a piece of masking tape or a clamp to hold the sliding hatch in place.

Hope this helps a bit more.
 
I am sorry Lambeth. I was trying to keep things short, my english is not that good. The less i write the less mistakes i make..

Hope this helps a bit more.
Fantastic write up :cheers :Stig
 
@Tycho Fantastic. Thank you. As always pictures tell a lot of the story. Very useful.

I have bought the spray glue and sponge material to fix the rear panel.
IMG_8288.jpegIMG_8172.jpeg
If I’m brave enough I will then attempt the bit around the hatch. I suspect many California owners have this sagging around the control unit etc. The forum is very useful to show others how to fix things. Most VW dealers would not know. If any water has ever got in then that makes it worse. My van is 2008 and this needs doing.
Interesting idea to use felt instead

Thanks again.
 
This is also going to be on my winter jobs list, as the front of the bed panel is sagging down now.
Where is the best place to get replacement headlining from? Mine is the light grey sponge backed material and would be good to keep the same. Mine is a 2006 so its survived well.
Many thanks!
 
This is also going to be on my winter jobs list, as the front of the bed panel is sagging down now.
Where is the best place to get replacement headlining from? Mine is the light grey sponge backed material and would be good to keep the same. Mine is a 2006 so its survived well.
Many thanks!
IMG_8288.jpegIMG_8290.jpegIMG_8289.jpeg
This looks pretty good to me. I just got 1m for the rear armrest.
 
I also did this a few weeks ago. Some additional points based on my experience.

It is possible to remove the bed through the boot if angled to the side. This may or may not be easier than through the side door.

The foam residue comes off well with Eurocell uPVC Solvent Cleaner. Make sure it is done in a well ventilated area and has sufficient time to dry.

I used https://www.eufabrics.com/ for the 2mm foam backed fabric. They will send out samples if needed. They also sell the spray adhesive.

Vehicleclips.co.uk had a compatible clip albeit very tight. Make sure that you put this clips in before putting the bed back in place as they are nearly impossible to fit in situ.

I also re-lined the cab headlining a year or so ago. This was much trickier as the deep profile around the Sunvisors was difficult to get right. It has already started to come away in those places but should be ok for a fair few years.
 

Similar threads

Back
Top