Lewis
I had a breakdown on my 2016 T6 Ocean just over a week ago, tried to pull away at a junction and got total loss of drive. Recovered to local independent VW garage (who have looked after the van for the past 5yrs) and confirmed what AA suspected - o/s driveshaft broken and sadly, but not surprisingly, the resulting damage to the transmission unit which is common when this breakdown occurs on the DSG.
Headline is a choice between a £5.5k rebuild at a transmission specialist or £8.5k brand new DSG unit from VW.
Both prices include the new driveshaft (aftermarket with the rebuild, genuine VW with the new box) and also a new dual mass flywheel which has been on my advisory list from the previous service.
Mileage is approx 105k and I'd like to keep the van for another 5-7 years and expect circa 10k p/a miles as it's my daily driver.
Other than this, the van is in good shape with annual servicing and all maintenance up to date. The only other major problem I've had was the high pressure diesel fuel pump which was replaced within the past 18months.
Id be really interested to hear views from other forum members about how you would respond under these circumstances? Would you go for the refurb or the brand new box or even trying to offload the van? I can afford the higher price for the new box but I am also mindful that difference could cover other future repairs, etc. I just feel that all brand new parts is better if I intend to keep the van long term?
I'd also value any advice on other things I should be asking them to check whilst the gearbox is out incase we're missing anything based on your experiences.
Any reflections would be gratefully received.
Lewis
Headline is a choice between a £5.5k rebuild at a transmission specialist or £8.5k brand new DSG unit from VW.
Both prices include the new driveshaft (aftermarket with the rebuild, genuine VW with the new box) and also a new dual mass flywheel which has been on my advisory list from the previous service.
Mileage is approx 105k and I'd like to keep the van for another 5-7 years and expect circa 10k p/a miles as it's my daily driver.
Other than this, the van is in good shape with annual servicing and all maintenance up to date. The only other major problem I've had was the high pressure diesel fuel pump which was replaced within the past 18months.
Id be really interested to hear views from other forum members about how you would respond under these circumstances? Would you go for the refurb or the brand new box or even trying to offload the van? I can afford the higher price for the new box but I am also mindful that difference could cover other future repairs, etc. I just feel that all brand new parts is better if I intend to keep the van long term?
I'd also value any advice on other things I should be asking them to check whilst the gearbox is out incase we're missing anything based on your experiences.
Any reflections would be gratefully received.
Lewis













