Cfx 35 failed

Perfectos

Perfectos

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Messages
7,662
Location
Hertfordshire
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
My 6 year old Dometic CFX 35 fridge failed yesterday,
opened the lid, the internal light came on as expected and went out unexpectedly!
completely dead,
not the onboard fuse, tested with a meter.
simply packed up and will not work on either 240v or 12v.

Anyone had any experience of getting Dometic compressor fridge fixed out of warranty?
recommendations for company to fix it

Any idea on prognosis?

I'm guessing (looking at spare parts prices) it's not worth trying to fix it DIY

New prices for the current model are high ,
I'll probably look at Alpicool, for about a fifth of the cost of a new Dometic !

Any pointers with regard to Alpicool X40 of similar would be appreciated.
 
Update.

After getting home , I started to investigate why the fridge may have packed up.

First principle applied, plug in to 230v , press and hold the power button.

You guessed it , power came on, temperature reduced to the preset as normal,.

It's now been running on mains voltage for 5 days with no issues.

Next to try it in the van
 
Update.

After getting home , I started to investigate why the fridge may have packed up.

First principle applied, plug in to 230v , press and hold the power button.

You guessed it , power came on, temperature reduced to the preset as normal,.

It's now been running on mains voltage for 5 days with no issues.

Next to try it in the van
Interested to know is the Fridge actually run by a 12v supply directly? That is, when plugged into a mains 230v supply this is converted to 12v by an internal 12v transformer to power the fridge?
 
Interested to know is the Fridge actually run by a 12v supply directly? That is, when plugged into a mains 230v supply this is converted to 12v by an internal 12v transformer to power the fridge?
Not sure and will try to look into it.
possible supply voltages are 110, 230v 24v & 12v so it's perfectly reasonable and logical to expect the power supply to take multiple possibilities and convert them to one supply - I.e 12v

It's plugged back into the van and working!
I will test for a few days and see what happens and report back.
 
Secop (ex Danfoss) do 2 controllers:
1) a 12/24 V DC one (1E50896) £230 at Penguine Kuranda
2) a 12/24V with Integrated AC mains adaptor (1E52530) £307

When I had an issue with mine (an older CCF 35 Bentley branded one) and pulled it apart it had option 1) and also a separate transformer in the 230V AC circuit.
In my case I did have power but the cooling wasn't working. I replaced the controller and that solved my issue. If it is the controller then don't be tempted by the £70 'equivalents' on eBay, they are physically too big to fit in the case.
 
My 6 year old Dometic CFX 35 fridge failed yesterday,
opened the lid, the internal light came on as expected and went out unexpectedly!
completely dead,
not the onboard fuse, tested with a meter.
simply packed up and will not work on either 240v or 12v.

Anyone had any experience of getting Dometic compressor fridge fixed out of warranty?
recommendations for company to fix it

Any idea on prognosis?

I'm guessing (looking at spare parts prices) it's not worth trying to fix it DIY

New prices for the current model are high ,
I'll probably look at Alpicool, for about a fifth of the cost of a new Dometic !

Any pointers with regard to Alpicool X40 of similar would be appreciated.
I ended up buying a TotalCool fridge when my Indel B one failed. Much cheaper and I’ve been very happy with it. It’s only the 18L model though.
 
Back
Top