Caravan electrics

capt kirk

capt kirk

Top Poster
VIP Member
Messages
755
Location
surrey hampshire borders
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199
So i bought a caravan to tow with the cali, the caravan has a leisure battery that last about a day off grid and it is agm. It does get charge from the cali whilst driving but i want change it for a lithium to get a few more days off grid. I have 400watts solar on portable panels and in cloudy conditions can do around 50 watts and curently i feed this into the caravan through a bluetti eb70 with the caravan directly plugged into it. I was going to fit a dc dc converter ito the caravan and use a victron mppt directly to the new battery with a lithium profile and then fit a 240 charger when on hookup. I would have to dissable the excisting charger as it only does agm. The eb70 is only 715 ah so adds about 15 hours on it own. Any body else done this or see any flaws in my cunning plan.
 
So i bought a caravan to tow with the cali, the caravan has a leisure battery that last about a day off grid and it is agm. It does get charge from the cali whilst driving but i want change it for a lithium to get a few more days off grid. I have 400watts solar on portable panels and in cloudy conditions can do around 50 watts and curently i feed this into the caravan through a bluetti eb70 with the caravan directly plugged into it. I was going to fit a dc dc converter ito the caravan and use a victron mppt directly to the new battery with a lithium profile and then fit a 240 charger when on hookup. I would have to dissable the excisting charger as it only does agm. The eb70 is only 715 ah so adds about 15 hours on it own. Any body else done this or see any flaws in my cunning plan.
Depending on how long you plan to be on EHU you will probably be OK with the existing charger. The AGM profile will work fine with a LIFEPO4 battery although it won’t be the most efficient. I switched my leisure batteries in my Cali and kept the original charger on AGM profile and two years in have had no issues charging them on EHU at all.

I did also fit an additional Victron MPPT so I can use my 200w solar blanket to put charge directly into the leisure batteries or into my Bluetti which works well.
 
Back
Top