Bed Strut failure on one side, can’t lower bed into position for driving to repair centre

K

KiggyCliffy

Messages
20
Location
Hampshire
Vehicle
Help.. we are stuck in Portugal and can’t lower the bed. One strut failed and now have sideways pressure trying to lower. Cannot get both corners of bed seated in lowered position. So can’t drive! Is there a safe way to unclip gas struts for bed and lower manually and squarely?

We are near Braganca and there appears to be a VW commercial van centre there. I’ll call in morning but currently it’s 4am. Hoping someone who has experienced this can advise best approach? Attached photo shows corner that won’t go in, other corner is in.

Thanks in advance

image.jpg
 
How frustrating for you.

Sorry, no experience of this so can’t specifically advise . I can see from other posts that you have a MY22 T6.1, which may help others assist (could be worth completing your avatar).

I have seen other posts suggesting you should be able to get bed back though it is heavy so you may need help. I think this problem has occurred with other vehicles of the same age where the hinges are plastic and VW dealers have replaced with metal hinges. Perhaps a few more photos will help?
 
How frustrating for you.

Sorry, no experience of this so can’t specifically advise . I can see from other posts that you have a MY22 T6.1, which may help others assist (could be worth completing your avatar).

I have seen other posts suggesting you should be able to get bed back though it is heavy so you may need help. I think this problem has occurred with other vehicles of the same age where the hinges are plastic and VW dealers have replaced with metal hinges. Perhaps a few more photos will help?
Thank you. Yes a MY22 6.1 Ocean.
Hoping someone can help.
 
Update. Actually discovered the problem is a broken plastic hinge on one side of the bed at the rear. Seems to be replaceable does anyone know?
Thanks
 
Update. Actually discovered the problem is a broken plastic hinge on one side of the bed at the rear. Seems to be replaceable does anyone know?
Thanks
Yes, the upgraded one is metal.
 
Ah that’s good. I have ordered correct part and going to collect. Does anyone know if this is easy to fit and should we use VW garage? Thanks
 
Ah that’s good. I have ordered correct part and going to collect. Does anyone know if this is easy to fit and should we use VW garage? Thanks
Have a read.

 
If you have the tools with you then relatively easy. There are two rivets holding the arm, they both need to be drilled out. If you are away see if the garage will do it for you. The pop top does not need to be removed.
 
Thanks all. The combination of August in Portugal, language barriers and logistics of repair bookings means we will wait until back in uk. Just accept no bed up.
 
Loosen the 2 struts so they will lay down beside the bed frame which you can lower down because the struts are removed. You can you use your upperbed but you cannot rais it for the time being.
 
Loosen the 2 struts so they will lay down beside the bed frame which you can lower down because the struts are removed. You can you use your upperbed but you cannot rais it for the time being.
Thanks can I ask safest way to loosen the struts if they are pressurised?
 
De top atachment, It is easy with a little screwdriver to pull away a little clip and then you can pull away the strut from the car body (sorry, don’t know the exact words). So, pull away from the car side and not the bed side.
 
No, sorry i think the atachment onthe bed side! When you loosen the struts you can lower your bed and lay the strut beside de bed sides. You can use your bed but it cannot be raised up
 
Help.. we are stuck in Portugal and can’t lower the bed. One strut failed and now have sideways pressure trying to lower. Cannot get both corners of bed seated in lowered position. So can’t drive! Is there a safe way to unclip gas struts for bed and lower manually and squarely?

We are near Braganca and there appears to be a VW commercial van centre there. I’ll call in morning but currently it’s 4am. Hoping someone who has experienced this can advise best approach? Attached photo shows corner that won’t go in, other corner is in.

Thanks in advance

View attachment 150842I have some experience this, having replaced one of the gas struts in my T5. Newer vans might be different but it was very simple to unclip. I was able to order the new part through VW and fit it myself easily (but I appreciate you're not at that stage yet.) Good luck!
 
Keep all receipts as warranty item. I had it happen and was replaced free; they did both hinges on my 22 Reg T6.1 Ocean.

You can get it down but it is heavy and be careful of canvas. Good luck; we were on Outer Hebrides si no dealer anywhere!
 
Hello we had a very similar thing happen a few months ago - it was difficult to pull the bed away from the side canvas but we managed to get the bed seated albeit still a bit misaligned. . I raised a complaint with Vw on the basis that plastic brackets are not fit for purpose and they replaced with metal Free of charge - we are a 21 reg 6.1 ocean so was just out of warranty but they honoured the repair after some persuasion.
We got the car back and as we were going on holiday to Spain/portugal for 3 weeks days later so decided to check out the roof - raised it up for a day or two- and found the roof started to sag on one side . I was a bit worried but garage assured me that it would settle. However - whilst on holiday the roof started to sag particularly the drivers side on a number of occasions . I reported all the incidents as they happened w but didnt receive responses so have gone back to head office VW customer services as I feel it’s all linked and think the bed placement may be twisted now or the piston bracket is misaligned since the bed brackets broke. Seems too coincidental! On top of the sag- one day the front corner of the roof raised about 6 inches on the drivers side - on its own - whilst parked overnight! And another occasion the roof raised about 2 inches on the back drivers side. Nothing registered as a fault on the screen? . . On both occasions I was able to raise the roof and put it down again which rectified the problem but clearly something is wrong??
I am waiting for a date to book into our Exeter service centre and will report their findings. I just hope this doesn’t happen to your van and hope they will repair Foc!!
 
Hello we had a very similar thing happen a few months ago - it was difficult to pull the bed away from the side canvas but we managed to get the bed seated albeit still a bit misaligned. . I raised a complaint with Vw on the basis that plastic brackets are not fit for purpose and they replaced with metal Free of charge - we are a 21 reg 6.1 ocean so was just out of warranty but they honoured the repair after some persuasion.
We got the car back and as we were going on holiday to Spain/portugal for 3 weeks days later so decided to check out the roof - raised it up for a day or two- and found the roof started to sag on one side . I was a bit worried but garage assured me that it would settle. However - whilst on holiday the roof started to sag particularly the drivers side on a number of occasions . I reported all the incidents as they happened w but didnt receive responses so have gone back to head office VW customer services as I feel it’s all linked and think the bed placement may be twisted now or the piston bracket is misaligned since the bed brackets broke. Seems too coincidental! On top of the sag- one day the front corner of the roof raised about 6 inches on the drivers side - on its own - whilst parked overnight! And another occasion the roof raised about 2 inches on the back drivers side. Nothing registered as a fault on the screen? . . On both occasions I was able to raise the roof and put it down again which rectified the problem but clearly something is wrong??
I am waiting for a date to book into our Exeter service centre and will report their findings. I just hope this doesn’t happen to your van and hope they will repair Foc!!
Just a thought...if the roof raised on one corner overnight could this be the van attempting a 10 hour anti-sag lift? I have no idea how that vould happen, but why else might it raise? Worrying.
Hope you get it sorted with VW but don't hold your breath.
 
Hello we had a very similar thing happen a few months ago - it was difficult to pull the bed away from the side canvas but we managed to get the bed seated albeit still a bit misaligned. . I raised a complaint with Vw on the basis that plastic brackets are not fit for purpose and they replaced with metal Free of charge - we are a 21 reg 6.1 ocean so was just out of warranty but they honoured the repair after some persuasion.
We got the car back and as we were going on holiday to Spain/portugal for 3 weeks days later so decided to check out the roof - raised it up for a day or two- and found the roof started to sag on one side . I was a bit worried but garage assured me that it would settle. However - whilst on holiday the roof started to sag particularly the drivers side on a number of occasions . I reported all the incidents as they happened w but didnt receive responses so have gone back to head office VW customer services as I feel it’s all linked and think the bed placement may be twisted now or the piston bracket is misaligned since the bed brackets broke. Seems too coincidental! On top of the sag- one day the front corner of the roof raised about 6 inches on the drivers side - on its own - whilst parked overnight! And another occasion the roof raised about 2 inches on the back drivers side. Nothing registered as a fault on the screen? . . On both occasions I was able to raise the roof and put it down again which rectified the problem but clearly something is wrong??
I am waiting for a date to book into our Exeter service centre and will report their findings. I just hope this doesn’t happen to your van and hope they will repair Foc!!
hi thanks for this.. sounds identical. We are now back in the UK and trying to decide how and where to get this fixed, VW or elsewhere in Hampshire as we are not DIY people.. we are also post warranty by a year so will try the same tack as you.. wondering how much they would charge otherwise. What was your case for them to fix it if it was your fault? (Or not?). Thx
 
To help others, we wrote to VW after being quoted £250 for replacing hinges, referencing the experiences of other customers on this forum, and requesting a free replacement due to a clear design fault usin* plastic not metal. I’m pleased to say they agreed to this but asked us to pay 50% of cost of parts, which was £11. We accepted that
 
Back
Top