Attaching Thule Backup Box to Atera Strada DL3

J

johneboy

VIP Member
Messages
17
Location
Dorset
Vehicle
T5.1 se 180
Hello,

I found a thread on here recently about putting a storage box onto an Atera Strada DL3 bike rack. In the thread had a post on it from someone saying they attached a Thule Backup Box to it (see picture below). Has anyone else managed this, and if so, would they be able to share instructions for how they did it please?

Many thanks in advance.

1784295301610.png
 
I’ve thought about it but was waiting to see someone else do it before buying the kit
 
I’ve thought about it but was waiting to see someone else do it before buying the kit
I went ahead and came up with my own solution for mounting it. I created a neat platform out of UPVC, to raise the box off the bike mount points, and then bought new U-bolts that allow me to clamp through the platform and around the DL3 underneath.

It looks good and works. However, there is a major flaw that only occurred to me late on. When the box is in place you cannot unlock the DL3 to remove the rack without taking the box off first. I see this could be a major faff for most people if you are on a longer camping trip.

As such, I'm going to live with it for now, but I am after a Towbox V3 or an MFT box as a long term solution.
 

Similar threads

C
Replies
12
Views
5K
GC-DUB
GC-DUB
Max-Felix
Replies
28
Views
13K
soulstyledevon
soulstyledevon
Quentin SF
Replies
43
Views
20K
Stevepostill
S
Back
Top