AdBlue usage

sidepod

sidepod

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Messages
7,464
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
I did search but failed to find a decent thread to tack this onto. We can never have too many similar threads!

Anyway, I’ve largely let the AdBlue thing bypass me without paying attention.

I’ve learned in the last 24 hrs that, apart from being a massive PITA, our vans have large tanks.

Thing is, I’ve owned the van since it had 5k miles on it, it’s now up to 24k.

I’ve only ever added 8ltrs of AdBlue and the dash is telling me I have 17500km (11k miles) of range.

Worth noting I only ever use the van for trans continental jaunts.

An example I guess of how little AdBlue is used under good constant running conditions.

IMG_8653.jpegIMG_8652.jpeg
 
I did search but failed to find a decent thread to tack this onto. We can never have too many similar threads!

Anyway, I’ve largely let the AdBlue thing bypass me without paying attention.

I’ve learned in the last 24 hrs that, apart from being a massive PITA, our vans have large tanks.

Thing is, I’ve owned the van since it had 5k miles on it, it’s now up to 24k.

I’ve only ever added 8ltrs of AdBlue and the dash is telling me I have 17500km (11k miles) of range.

Worth noting I only ever use the van for trans continental jaunts.

An example I guess of how little AdBlue is used under good constant running conditions.

View attachment 152056View attachment 152057
In the case of the California I don't get why VW have a large Adblue tank as it degrades over time. I get it for a commercial Transporter but not a California which tends to do a lot less miles.

AI Overview


AdBlue typically lasts for 12 to 18 months inside a vehicle's tank under normal ambient temperatures, though extreme heat can shorten this lifespan. [1, 2]

How AdBlue Behaves in a Vehicle Tank
    • Temperature sensitivity: High ambient temperatures (consistently above 30°C) accelerate urea breakdown via hydrolysis, reducing the fluid's effective life to 6 months or less. [1, 2]
    • Vehicle location: Unlike external containers stored in direct sunlight, a car or van's AdBlue tank is usually tucked underneath the chassis or within the body, shielding it from direct UV exposure, but it can still absorb radiant heat from the exhaust and road. [1, 2]
    • Low mileage risk: If a vehicle sits unused for extended periods (over a year) in warm conditions, the fluid can degrade or form crystals, potentially triggering Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) fault codes or damaging the pump and injector. [1, 2, 3]
    • Freezing: AdBlue freezes at -11°C, but vehicle tanks have built-in heaters, and freezing does not ruin the chemical composition of the fluid once thawed. [1, 2]
 
In the case of the California I don't get why VW have a large Adblue tank as it degrades over time. I get it for a commercial Transporter but not a California which tends to do a lot less miles.
Simply, pure laziness and penny pinching from VW.
 
I did search but failed to find a decent thread to tack this onto. We can never have too many similar threads!

Anyway, I’ve largely let the AdBlue thing bypass me without paying attention.

I’ve learned in the last 24 hrs that, apart from being a massive PITA, our vans have large tanks.

Thing is, I’ve owned the van since it had 5k miles on it, it’s now up to 24k.

I’ve only ever added 8ltrs of AdBlue and the dash is telling me I have 17500km (11k miles) of range.

Worth noting I only ever use the van for trans continental jaunts.

An example I guess of how little AdBlue is used under good constant running conditions.

View attachment 152056View attachment 152057

That tallies with my usage - about 40 litres in 48,000 miles, mainly long runs.
At c£1.50/litre the actual cost is negligible.
 
That tallies with my usage - about 40 litres in 48,000 miles, mainly long runs.
At c£1.50/litre the actual cost is negligible.
I just wonder if very low usage of Adblue results in a higher risk of crystallisation with aging and as a result the major repairs detailed elsewhere on this site:


in which case the costs change to not negligible!

I am inclined to think that keeping the tank topped up, ideally from a 'fresh' direct feed not a container, and using Wynns proportionally:

https://amzn.eu/d/08pzHBbf

It could be the best way to reduce the risk of Adblue tank/controls/readings failure as per the link above.

If the ADblue can 'go off' and crystallises in time then leaving it for ages in a partially filled tank with plenty of air over and carrying it in a moving vehicle that can get pretty hot in the sun does not seem optimum (accepting that it is at least out of the light).

However, I am interested in others' views.
 
Last edited:
I just wonder if very low usage of Adblue results in a higher risk of crystallisation with aging and as a result the major repairs detailed elsewhere on this site:


in which case the costs change to not negligible!

I am inclined to think that keeping the tank topped up, ideally from a 'fresh' direct feed not a container, and using Wynns proportionally:

https://amzn.eu/d/08pzHBbf

May be the best way to reduce the risk of Adblue tank/controls/readings failure as per the link above.

If the ADblue can 'go off' and crystallises in time then leaving it for ages in a partially filled tank with plenty of air over and carrying it in a moving vehicle that can get pretty hot in the sun does not seem optimum (accepting that it is at least out of the light).

However, I am interested in others' views.

Well, so far I have spent £60 in Ad Blue in 48000 miles which is cheap.
I can’t argue that if I had to have a new Ad Blue tank at £1000 plus because of crystallisation, that would not be cheap.
So my first thought was I may as well spend £8.93 on the Wynns additive as insurance against crystallisation.

So I asked Google where VW stood on use of Ad Blue additives and, while asking Google can be unreliable, it looks like VW don’t approve.
It’s a bit hypothetical but VW could reject a warranty claim because I’d used an additive.
So I am going to keep on adding 10 litres of pure Ad Blue when required, every 10,000 miles or so, and trust that VW will honour my All In warranty if problems arise.


IMG_1222.png
 
I’ve done 7k miles in 26 months so my last refill has been in the tank since then.
My van is booked in for a new tank due to the ultrasonic sensor crystallising, the cost will be £1500, it proves WelshGas research.
Not sure about the additive, I’ve heard good things about it but surely at 250ml per tank VW would never know!
 
Well as stated above I only ever do Looooooong trips so I started to wonder if extended static periods might cause an issue with crystallisation?

I soon managed to convince myself that long periods (3-7hours) of the adblue being agitated in the tank whilst driving would clear any such build up?
I have no idea if that’s correct but, so far, I’ve not had any probs.
I checked with VCDS a couple of weeks ago and all seemed peachy.

Regarding warranty claims, I’d be curious to know how VW could diagnose use of an additive?
 
Does anyone know if the tank has a drain?
 
Well as stated above I only ever do Looooooong trips so I started to wonder if extended static periods might cause an issue with crystallisation?

I soon managed to convince myself that long periods (3-7hours) of the adblue being agitated in the tank whilst driving would clear any such build up?
I have no idea if that’s correct but, so far, I’ve not had any probs.
I checked with VCDS a couple of weeks ago and all seemed peachy.

Regarding warranty claims, I’d be curious to know how VW could diagnose use of an additive?

Requires scientific examination.
Take 2x empty 500ml plastic water bottles. These are your dummy Ad blue tanks.
Fill one with pure Ad Blue, to other add 5.68ml of Wynns additive, equates to 250ml in a 22 litre tank. Put lids on, as Ad Blue tank has a lid.
Store in a cupboard in the van so that temperature, light exposure and shaking about is same as actual tank.
When you go on a long trip decant the appropriate amount from the bottles.
Report back in 2 years time.
 
Requires scientific examination.
Take 2x empty 500ml plastic water bottles. These are your dummy Ad blue tanks.
Fill one with pure Ad Blue, to other add 5.68ml of Wynns additive, equates to 250ml in a 22 litre tank. Put lids on, as Ad Blue tank has a lid.
Store in a cupboard in the van so that temperature, light exposure and shaking about is same as actual tank.
When you go on a long trip decant the appropriate amount from the bottles.
Report back in 2 years time.
Lids must be vented as is, I believe, the Adblue tank cap.
 
This is why I was wondering about a drain in the tank.
It would seem prudent to drain when the van is not going to be used for a while.

Alternatively, just forget about it and worry about something else?
 
I would be worried in draining the tank in case the management system has a hissy fit over a sudden change in consumption. Unless it was refilled with the same amount before switching the ignition back on after the period of not being used.

Also, I do wonder if the sensor mechanism may fail/crystalise up quicker with a small amount of residual Adblue left on/in for months, surrounded by air.

As a low mileage/short journey Cali owner, I'm sticking with adding the Wynns with every Adblue fill.
I guess time will tell if this turns out to be a good decision or not.

Likewise I have always added Millers Diesel Power EcoMax from day 1 when filling up with fuel, most of which is bought at the supermarket filling stations. This in the possibly erroneous assumption that it will help reduce EGR valve fouling and DPF filter clogging.
 
I just added 10 litres of AdBlue off the direct feed ( i.e. at the pump) at Wherstead Services, Ipswich. This was the amount my dash said was the maximum (actually it showed 10.25 litres max fill).

Much easier to do than the pouring from a container, and the pump allowed me to chose the precise amount. I simply self-served then went to the desk to pay - they had a readout.

Comparatively quite expensive at £1.90 per litre. But given the obvious turnover there, I suspect pretty fresh so for me obviously worth it.

Pump handle easy to use and perfect height.

I left my ignition on but it still took a few (anxious) minutes of driving for the change to register, i.e. before the fill it showed 10,500 miles and after a few miles that changed to 18,500 miles.

Because I thoughtlessly added some cheap and old AdBlue a while back bought from Range (never checked the date on it) I was anxious to dilute it with new.

No more cheap AdBlue for me.

I am gong to look into whether VW can drain my tank and fill entirely with new at my next service (last free one). That will be the ultimate peace of mind solution.
 
Last edited:
I just added 10 litres of AdBlue off the direct feed ( i.e. at the pump) at Wherstead Services, Ipswich. This was the amount my dash said was the maximum (actually it showed 10.25 litres max fill).

Much easier to do than the pouring from a container, and the pump allowed me to chose the precise amount. I simply self-served then went to the desk to pay - they had a readout.

Comparatively quite expensive at £1.90 per litre. But given the obvious turnover there, I suspect pretty fresh so for me obviously worth it.

Pump handle easy to use and perfect height.

I left my ignition on but it still took a few (anxious) minutes of driving for the change to register, i.e. before the fill it showed 10,500 miles and after a few miles that changed to 18,500 miles.

Because I thoughtlessly added some cheap and old AdBlue a while back bought from Range (never checked the date on it) I was anxious to dilute it with new.

No more cheap AdBlue for me.

I am gong to look into whether VW can drain my tank and fill entirely with new at my next service (last free one). That will be the ultimate peace of mind solution.

Have a look at the above for a general rule.- Note VW transporters do not have a pick up filter that can be removed

The T6.x has no way of draining the tank easily (unlike the amarok) - note warm add blue flows easier - let the vehicle run for 5 minutes !

you either;
1) suck it out of the filler on the side of the van (filler spout) you'll get most of it out -use an expensive pump or an inexpensive large 300ml + syringe, tube inserted carefully to sit within the baffles will allow removal of most of the fluid, (siphoning will take some time - cira 5 litres 30 minutes) warming for 5 minutes with engine running helps flow
2) disconnect the filler rubber hose & clip where it connects to the tank.(not sure if this will empty the tank) - removing under shields required
3) remove the pump from the bottom pf the tank and let it drain out (100% removal) - 10 litres will - removing under shields required - take several hours to drain , best done overnight, into a suitable side container!

I doubt VW would oblige in drainage.
if you deliver it with minimal Ad blue , they would re fill it !
 
Last edited:
I just added 10 litres of AdBlue off the direct feed ( i.e. at the pump) at Wherstead Services, Ipswich. This was the amount my dash said was the maximum (actually it showed 10.25 litres max fill).

Much easier to do than the pouring from a container, and the pump allowed me to chose the precise amount. I simply self-served then went to the desk to pay - they had a readout.

Comparatively quite expensive at £1.90 per litre. But given the obvious turnover there, I suspect pretty fresh so for me obviously worth it.

Pump handle easy to use and perfect height.

I left my ignition on but it still took a few (anxious) minutes of driving for the change to register, i.e. before the fill it showed 10,500 miles and after a few miles that changed to 18,500 miles.

Because I thoughtlessly added some cheap and old AdBlue a while back bought from Range (never checked the date on it) I was anxious to dilute it with new.

No more cheap AdBlue for me.

I am gong to look into whether VW can drain my tank and fill entirely with new at my next service (last free one). That will be the ultimate peace of mind solution.

That was my experience when filling with the ignition on - nothing happened, drove 3 miles and then it registered.

I wouldn’t worry about the cheap AdBlue from The Range. I used Car Lube stuff from B&M a few days back.
It’s all the same regardless of the brand. 32.5% high grade urea and 67.5% deionised water to ISO 22241 standard. It can’t be sold otherwise.

Am I missing something about this whole thing ? I had a quick look through the other threads and as far as I can see everyone who has had to have a new tank seems to have a T6 from around 2017.

Has anyone with a T6.1 had to have a new Ad Blue tank or is it only a problem on T6s ?
 
That was my experience when filling with the ignition on - nothing happened, drove 3 miles and then it registered.

I wouldn’t worry about the cheap AdBlue from The Range. I used Car Lube stuff from B&M a few days back.
It’s all the same regardless of the brand. 32.5% high grade urea and 67.5% deionised water to ISO 22241 standard. It can’t be sold otherwise.

Am I missing something about this whole thing ? I had a quick look through the other threads and as far as I can see everyone who has had to have a new tank seems to have a T6 from around 2017.

Has anyone with a T6.1 had to have a new Ad Blue tank or is it only a problem on T6s ?
On the t6 forum lots of all denominations!

Vw updated the t6.1 tank and laterly increased the volume of the tank.
Software on t6.1 has been updated specifically to address some of the issues related to the volume sensor fragility.
There are still lots of T6.1 failures , possibly more to come with the increased tank size , meaning more unused fluid and greater potential for crystalline deposits due to large volumes of old unused ad blue. Time will tell, but every manufacturer has its own issues with ad blue!
 
Last edited:
No more cheap AdBlue for me.
Ad blue must conform to eu regulations, if sold within the eu.

What is cheap ad blue and what is overpriced ad blue ! The retail price does not dictate quality, the standard that it must achieve is the bench mark !
 
On the t6 forum lots of all denominations!

Vw updated the t6.1 tank and laterly increased the volume of the tank.
Software on t6.1 has been updated specifically to address some of the issues related to the volume sensor fragility.
There are still lots of T6.1 failures , possibly more to come with the increased tank size , meaning more unused fluid and greater potential for crystalline deposits due to large volumes of old unused ad blue. Time will tell, but every manufacturer has its own issues with ad blue!

Hmm, you have dealt my latest theory a body blow.
Taking all aspects of the matter into consideration, as the politicians would say, I am going to bung a bottle of Wynns into my tank.
Well done Wynns, never give a sucker an even break.
 
Back
Top