2016 T6 204 Manual high oil usage / engine replacement

B

bushwire

Messages
2
Location
UK
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hi,
looking for a bit of advice / sanity check, hope someone has some experience or can help.
Van (2016 T6 Ocean, 204PS BiTdi Manual) has been using excessive amounts of oil (monitored after oil service at approx 1 litre per 500 miles) so had specialist do some diagnostics. Compression test showed 2 cyclinders below wear limit, 1 on limit and 1 above with a fairly wide range between them (17, 22, 19 & 18 bar). Have been told that cause is rings are worn and have scored the bore of the block and a new engine is required. I understand that this is fairly common on this engine. Have been advised to fit new engine and been quoted 13k to supply and fit. Firstly, is the figure in the right ballpark and secondly is there anything I should be wary of in terms of parts to be reused. Obviously don't want to fit a new engine and then have something else fail at a later date.
Thanks in advance...
 
Hi,
looking for a bit of advice / sanity check, hope someone has some experience or can help.
Van (2016 T6 Ocean, 204PS BiTdi Manual) has been using excessive amounts of oil (monitored after oil service at approx 1 litre per 500 miles) so had specialist do some diagnostics. Compression test showed 2 cyclinders below wear limit, 1 on limit and 1 above with a fairly wide range between them (17, 22, 19 & 18 bar). Have been told that cause is rings are worn and have scored the bore of the block and a new engine is required. I understand that this is fairly common on this engine. Have been advised to fit new engine and been quoted 13k to supply and fit. Firstly, is the figure in the right ballpark and secondly is there anything I should be wary of in terms of parts to be reused. Obviously don't want to fit a new engine and then have something else fail at a later date.
Thanks in advance...
Following as this is where I think mine may be headed
Some reading.

 
10 yr old van needs £13k spending? That’s a write off isn’t it?
 
10 yr old van needs £13k spending? That’s a write off isn’t it?
No. My 2014 SE 180 with 150,000 miles on the clock was worth more than 2 x that engine replacement cost.
 
10 yr old van needs £13k spending? That’s a write off isn’t it?
Yeah, thats what I'm trying to work out. Obviously I'd rather not have to shell out anything but seeing as I'm where I am I think on balance it's probably worth fixing. If I sell it as is I'll have to take a big hit in terms of the money in the vehicle. If I fix it it's going to cost me cash up front but hopefully it will be worth more than the cost of the fix and the sale price of the current knackered van. I've also then got the option to keep it or sell with a new engine.
What I'm concerned about is something else going wrong even after a new engine, for example the existing turbos, EGR, DPF clutch, gearbox etc will be used.
Anybody actually been through this process?
Also, will VW take any responsibility for this? Seems like it's some sort of design flaw and not anything caused by myself.
Many thanks...
 
Yeah, thats what I'm trying to work out. Obviously I'd rather not have to shell out anything but seeing as I'm where I am I think on balance it's probably worth fixing. If I sell it as is I'll have to take a big hit in terms of the money in the vehicle. If I fix it it's going to cost me cash up front but hopefully it will be worth more than the cost of the fix and the sale price of the current knackered van. I've also then got the option to keep it or sell with a new engine.
What I'm concerned about is something else going wrong even after a new engine, for example the existing turbos, EGR, DPF clutch, gearbox etc will be used.
Anybody actually been through this process?
Also, will VW take any responsibility for this? Seems like it's some sort of design flaw and not anything caused by myself.
Many thanks...
There’s a ton of reading on the subject here on the forum if you can be bothered to trawl through it. I’m not up to speed enough to be able to say for sure if replacing the mill will cure the problem or just buy you another 60k miles before you’re in the same situation?
 
There’s a ton of reading on the subject here on the forum if you can be bothered to trawl through it. I’m not up to speed enough to be able to say for sure if replacing the mill will cure the problem or just buy you another 60k miles before you’re in the same situation?
The information on this Forum is mainly concerned with the T5 180 Biturbo CFCA engine.

This vehicle is the T6 204 Biturbo CXEB engine.
A lot of information regarding this engine on the T6 Forum
 
Yeah, thats what I'm trying to work out. Obviously I'd rather not have to shell out anything but seeing as I'm where I am I think on balance it's probably worth fixing. If I sell it as is I'll have to take a big hit in terms of the money in the vehicle. If I fix it it's going to cost me cash up front but hopefully it will be worth more than the cost of the fix and the sale price of the current knackered van. I've also then got the option to keep it or sell with a new engine.
What I'm concerned about is something else going wrong even after a new engine, for example the existing turbos, EGR, DPF clutch, gearbox etc will be used.
Anybody actually been through this process?
Also, will VW take any responsibility for this? Seems like it's some sort of design flaw and not anything caused by myself.
Many thanks...
All the information is in the T6 Forum link above.
 
Excuse my ignorance as I have no experience of these particular engines. Doesn’t anyone ever rebuild these? A new engine seems overkill or the easy option, I just rebuilt a petrol 1.4 Peugeot with new pistons, rings, shells etc for less than a thousand pounds.
 
Back
Top