T6 or T6.1 - Am I being thick??

Works well. On downhill, it changes down for engine braking. I tend to disengage ACC and let it eco coast to get the mpg up.
Doesn’t coasting use fuel in this case to keep the engine ticking over , whereas if its engine braking, the wheels are turning the engine with no fuel being used.
 
Doesn’t coasting use fuel in this case to keep the engine ticking over , whereas if its engine braking, the wheels are turning the engine with no fuel being used.
Higher end revs means more wear.

Must check whether instant consumption on downhill in high gear is better than coasting
 
Hi All.

I might be having a senior moment but can you explain the difference betwen a T6 and a T6.1 please.

Am I right in thinking the T6.1 came in around end of 2019 and is actually the current model? For some reason I had in my head there was something between 2019 and 2021......... I know there were issues with the bellows from about 2021 but is that all?

Sorry if it's covered elsewhere as I'm weighing up whether to go for a late T6 or and early (70, 20 or 21 plate) T6.1......
You may be thinking of the engine changes. The T6.1, when first introduced in 2019, had less HP than the previous model at 198 and somewhere in 2021 they brought it back up to 204. I'm not aware of any other differences in that time period.
 
You may be thinking of the engine changes. The T6.1, when first introduced in 2019, had less HP than the previous model at 198 and somewhere in 2021 they brought it back up to 204. I'm not aware of any other differences in that time period.
Other differences that I can remember include the earlier version having sports mode on the gearbox & the interior alarm sensor button on the B pillar. I seem to remember there was also something different on the digital dash but not sure what it was.
 
Short answer is: go for T6.1 if you can
Hard to find T6 owner regretting upgrade to T6.1
 
Might have been mentioned already but there were some Covid related changes in the 6.1 spec too due to parts unavailability. Some Oceans shipped without electric wingmirrors for example.
 
Might have been mentioned already but there were some Covid related changes in the 6.1 spec too due to parts unavailability. Some Oceans shipped without electric wingmirrors for example.
Were they not sold as Surfs?
The Surf was a short lived edition that was almost like an ocean but with manual pop top and beige units, not grey.
 
Were they not sold as Surfs?
The Surf was a short lived edition that was almost like an ocean but with manual pop top and beige units, not grey.
Nope, these were definitely Oceans - I had one on a try before you buy loan. It also had magnetic shades for the sliding door and kitchen windows rather than the built in pull down curtains. I think it was just a few frankenstein vehicles where supply chains had fallen over.
 
My T6 bellows have never leaked and there is a lot of chat about this on here. I also prefer the ‘comfort dash’ on a T6 rather the T6.1 which although more modern looking also looks a bit cheap and plasticky I think.
 
Short answer is: go for T6.1 if you can
Hard to find T6 owner regretting upgrade to T6.1
Ours is a very late T6 (2020) with LED lights and lighting package or whatever it was called.
I saved the equivalent of an mx5 by not buying a new T6.1 which I splashed on … an mx5
My next campervan will be a 5.4 poptop knaus.
Life is too short for incremental upgrades
 
Ours is a very late T6 (2020) with LED lights and lighting package or whatever it was called.
I saved the equivalent of an mx5 by not buying a new T6.1 which I splashed on … an mx5
My next campervan will be a 5.4 poptop knaus.
Life is too short for incremental upgrades
That was indeed the best choice in your situation. But for someone who has to choose between buying a T6 or a T6.1 today, the T6.1 remains the right choice in my opinion.

It also makes a big difference whether the California is your only vehicle or not. I replaced my 2016 T6 with a T6.1 in 2022. It is my only car, and I received 50% of the T6's purchase price when trading it in. I wouldn't have done this if my T6 had been a 2020 model.

I think the original questioner is buying his first California. He should keep in mind the trade in value of T6.1 will be better later on.
 
Back
Top