Fire extinguisher renewal

P

Printeral

VIP Member
Messages
43
Location
DG6
Vehicle
T5.1 se 180
Hi,
Need to renew my fire extinguisher and was looking at this as a replacement.
Not cheap but feel you can’t skimp on something so important.
Any one here got experience of these,(not in the literal sense hopefully) or if anyone has any better suggestions/recommendations?
Thanks
Al

Fire stick 500

Fire Safety Stick 50 Twin Utility pack - Image 7

Fire Safety Stick 50 Twin Utility pack - Image 8
 
I have one - not used to very strongly recommended to me by someone with a campervan and a yacht.
 
Thanks for the info…where did you fit yours in the van?
 
there's 2 versions a 50 and a 100. i went for the longer extinguishing time 100.
its next to my drivers seat (drivers door side) so accessable from drivers seat, or from in the living area
 
Hi,
Need to renew my fire extinguisher and was looking at this as a replacement.
Not cheap but feel you can’t skimp on something so important.
Any one here got experience of these,(not in the literal sense hopefully) or if anyone has any better suggestions/recommendations?
Thanks
Al

Fire stick 500

Fire Safety Stick 50 Twin Utility pack - Image 7

Fire Safety Stick 50 Twin Utility pack - Image 8
We have one of these, 15 years life, no servicing and 50 second discharge time. Very light and fits in the side pocket of the drivers seat.

1000020327.jpg

 
This seems a good way to go so thanks for your input…going to order one today
 
This seems a good way to go so thanks for your input…going to order one today
Not cheap but so light, look easy to use (haven't tried it yet) and compact. Sold in ships chandlers too. Diverse market.
 
Hi,
Need to renew my fire extinguisher and was looking at this as a replacement.
Not cheap but feel you can’t skimp on something so important.
Any one here got experience of these,(not in the literal sense hopefully) or if anyone has any better suggestions/recommendations?
Thanks
Al

Fire stick 500

Fire Safety Stick 50 Twin Utility pack - Image 7

Fire Safety Stick 50 Twin Utility pack - Image 8
Fire Stick Man has just joined the group
Thread 'Fire Safety Stick have joined the club!'
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/fire-safety-stick-have-joined-the-club.50692/
 
I’ve had to use the fire stick I only bought. A few days ago to extinguish a fire that was just starting in a wrecked car after a serious collision on the A75 today…Car had hit a Tanker and had spun & rolled out of control…horrible!
Lady occupant was badly injured & trapped inside.Plenty of us on scene immediately as it happened luckily including an A&E nurse who had been in the car behind…..a fire started from the engine bay so I deployed the extinguisher & left it to do its business…worked great,fantastic piece of kit.Emergency services arrived about 10 minutes later and took control.
Driver had to be cut free and taken to hospital…. My thoughts are with her…
Afterwards the fire brigade commented on the the fire stick & acknowledged it was a useful piece of kit to have.
Glad I bought it now & will place order for a new one today.
Just goes to show you never know when or where.
Also I can now confirm that it is a very easy & effective piece of kit to use in a emergency.
Stay safe everyone
 
I’ve had to use the fire stick I only bought. A few days ago to extinguish a fire that was just starting in a wrecked car after a serious collision on the A75 today…Car had hit a Tanker and had spun & rolled out of control…horrible!
Lady occupant was badly injured & trapped inside.Plenty of us on scene immediately as it happened luckily including an A&E nurse who had been in the car behind…..a fire started from the engine bay so I deployed the extinguisher & left it to do its business…worked great,fantastic piece of kit.Emergency services arrived about 10 minutes later and took control.
Driver had to be cut free and taken to hospital…. My thoughts are with her…
Afterwards the fire brigade commented on the the fire stick & acknowledged it was a useful piece of kit to have.
Glad I bought it now & will place order for a new one today.
Just goes to show you never know when or where.
Also I can now confirm that it is a very easy & effective piece of kit to use in a emergency.
Stay safe everyone
Thanks so much for posting a real life experience. I hope everyone involved are recovering from injuries and experiences and well done for your quick actions. It is really useful to hear how the firestick works.
Well done and thanks.
 
I've been sitting on the fence for a while thinking about buying an extinguisher or not for our Cali.

After hearing about your experience @Printeral , I have just gone ahead and ordered a 100 second Fire Stick using the forum discount.

if it helps to put out a fire on our Cali, or at a camp site/ road traffic accident, then it will be money well spent. Hopefully we will never need it, but you never know.
 
I bought two of these just before my trip to France - old CO2 was 2 years out of date so didn't want to chance it knowing what was going on.
Didn't even think to look at discounts for members.

I'll be honest, I ordered from FSS direct and paid full price but after issues with despatch/delivery I ordered from elsewhere.

Got two 50's for £139 with a free life hammer (yay).
Decided it was only £30 more than the 100 second one, but knowing how they worked I figured its a waste if you get the fire out in 47 seconds. Least this way I either use a second one or replace just one.

Fitted one on the passenger side by the "tea towel hook" behind seat (velcro pads) and one in drivers door pocket.
 
I’ve had to use the fire stick I only bought. A few days ago to extinguish a fire that was just starting in a wrecked car after a serious collision on the A75 today…Car had hit a Tanker and had spun & rolled out of control…horrible!
Lady occupant was badly injured & trapped inside.Plenty of us on scene immediately as it happened luckily including an A&E nurse who had been in the car behind…..a fire started from the engine bay so I deployed the extinguisher & left it to do its business…worked great,fantastic piece of kit.Emergency services arrived about 10 minutes later and took control.
Driver had to be cut free and taken to hospital…. My thoughts are with her…
Afterwards the fire brigade commented on the the fire stick & acknowledged it was a useful piece of kit to have.
Glad I bought it now & will place order for a new one today.
Just goes to show you never know when or where.
Also I can now confirm that it is a very easy & effective piece of kit to use in a emergency.
Stay safe everyone
Wow! What a fast moving thread! I see you bought one on 4th August and already had to use it! ....... I mean, what are the chances?!?

A very informative and practical update, thank you. Most of us buy one and (just like any other insurance) never use it for its intended purpose.
 
FSS now quite widely carried (including by me) in the historic rally world as an auxiliary extinguisher alongside either plumbed-in or conventional hand held systems, and said to be very good for early stage vehicle fires although I've fortunately not used myself but I know people who have.

A big benefit is that they're low-mess, unlike normal powder extinguishers that involve a huge amount of clean up. So if you have a relatively small flare-up, either in the engine bay or in the cabin, you can put it out niftily with the FSS.

Also they're small and handy, ideal for driver door pocket so you can grab it, leave the vehicle and then deploy the device from outside the van.

And, they have a long service life (15 years, I think?).
 
If you have a Fire Safety Stick ……. Check the “rough striker” my FSS’s (manufacturer date 7/23) has turned into a brown putty with not much abrasive left. I’m not sure that it would still work. I’m waiting a call from Fire Safety Stick Ltd, who are aware of the problem and will hopefully offer a solution.
 
If you have a Fire Safety Stick ……. Check the “rough striker” my FSS’s (manufacturer date 7/23) has turned into a brown putty with not much abrasive left. I’m not sure that it would still work. I’m waiting a call from Fire Safety Stick Ltd, who are aware of the problem and will hopefully offer a solution.
Very prompt response from FFS Ltd. A replacement cap on its way.
 
Prompted by this thread I ordered one yesterday morning and it arrived 24 hours later - hopefully it will now just sit in the van collecting dust ...............
 

Similar threads

Back
Top