Confused About Service Intervals – 1 Year vs 2 Years?

Having got the above info from SMG. I thought I would just check, via my vehicle settings, what the service schedule it indicated I should be following. This left me a little confused.

Our California is a June 2024 reg, i.e. 16 months old, has done 7000 miles, and has had no services.

The info system showed me the following:-
Inspection 18 200 mi or 228 days ( i.e. 2 years)
Oil change service in 6,600 mi or 228 days (i.e. 13,600mi or 2 years)

Ok I thought, I'd try and get guidance from VW Financial Services. Fully expecting to spend the best part of the rest of the afternoon being transferred from one person to another. But no, l got straight onto someone who sent me the following email, which I think almost explains the situation:-

Thank you for contacting Volkswagen Financial Services.

Following our recent conversation, I can confirm you can service the vehicle every year or every 10,000.00 miles or every two years or 20,000 miles.

Since you have had the vehicle for more than a year, you can service the vehicle now or wait for the mileage to reach 10,000 miles then get a service.

Your agreement ends in 17.06.2034 so you can use the services till then.

You can also find lots of information on our website at myvwfinance.vwfs.co.uk or please call our customer services team on 0370 010 2022 between 9AM – 6PM from Monday

Good. Now all it needs is a Memo from the head of VW Financial Services to all Van Service Centres and everyone will be on the same wavelength. Something like :
“ Some customers who have Californias on the 5+ Promise have had difficulty in having an annual service carried out on their vehicles. As administrator of the scheme we have no objection to annual servicing and assure you, the Service Centre, that you will receive prompt payment from VWFS for carrying out the service “
Or words to that effect. Will never happen of course. It’s too logical.
 
Was their any definitive answer on all this? I've had two now - one each year.

Just had our second service done* (13,400 miles) and no one at the service centre mentioned anything about it only being done a year ago and only 7000 miles covered.

* I use the word "done" lightly as I wasn't convinced they'd done what they should.

To start the car was inside less than hour - tracker confirmed movements.

The video health check sent was 52 seconds long. So fast I could barely see what they were showing me from the blurred shots, and could barely make out what he said.

But the best bit; Passenger chair was exactly where I left it.
They even tried to charge me £68 for the Pollen Filter until I pointed out its part of the service, and the service is part of the plan.

Checked the pollen filter today - doesn't look like that's been changed does it....

View attachment IMG_9525.jpeg
IMG_9526.jpeg
 
Was their any definitive answer on all this? I've had two now - one each year.

Just had our second service done* (13,400 miles) and no one at the service centre mentioned anything about it only being done a year ago and only 7000 miles covered.

* I use the word "done" lightly as I wasn't convinced they'd done what they should.

To start the car was inside less than hour - tracker confirmed movements.

The video health check sent was 52 seconds long. So fast I could barely see what they were showing me from the blurred shots, and could barely make out what he said.

But the best bit; Passenger chair was exactly where I left it.
They even tried to charge me £68 for the Pollen Filter until I pointed out its part of the service, and the service is part of the plan.

Checked the pollen filter today - doesn't look like that's been changed does it....

View attachment 152208
View attachment 152209
In no way surprised. There are now probably less than half a dozen decent dealerships left. Mine were hopeless. It’s because they have a captive customer base.
Extended warranties are problem.
 
Was their any definitive answer on all this? I've had two now - one each year.

Just had our second service done* (13,400 miles) and no one at the service centre mentioned anything about it only being done a year ago and only 7000 miles covered.

* I use the word "done" lightly as I wasn't convinced they'd done what they should.

To start the car was inside less than hour - tracker confirmed movements.

The video health check sent was 52 seconds long. So fast I could barely see what they were showing me from the blurred shots, and could barely make out what he said.

But the best bit; Passenger chair was exactly where I left it.
They even tried to charge me £68 for the Pollen Filter until I pointed out its part of the service, and the service is part of the plan.

Checked the pollen filter today - doesn't look like that's been changed does it....

View attachment 152208
View attachment 152209
Disgusting! (the treatment from the service team, not your pollen filter). Probably worth naming them I think.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top