Anyone else had their EHU flap stop clipping down after the recent hot spell ?

Dizzy

Dizzy

Retired and living the dream
VIP Member
Messages
158
Location
Beds
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
We went to get Dizzy from storage (6 weeks) the other day, i noticed on the way home that the EHU flap was flapping.

On closer inspection it doesnt appear to clip down any more, but there doesnt appear to be anything broken off it stopping it locking in place. Anyone else had this ? I see there are mutterings on other older threads.

Took her for a service and it looks like it will be warrantied, but in the meantime we popped a couple of small Neodymium magnet discs on the screws at the bottom of the flap and then a small dab (and i mean small using cut off cotton bud stick) of sikaflex on them, pushed the cover down and left them overnight. Works a treat just like the ones on our Hymer.

D.
 
Seems to be a common issue as the catch is quite minimal. There have rumblings on here lately.
I tried velcro yesterday but it came off immediately.
I'll try the magnet idea :thumb
 
Magnets;
Still going strong 8 years on - post 25 with photos


 
And another here - 2023 Ocean suddenly noticed it flapping around down the A303 on trip to Cornwall. Temporary bodge with electrical tape, and had forgotten about it until you just reminded !
 
Exactly same here. Flapping about for 2,400 miles. Now slightly cracked.
I bought some of this magnetic strip and cut up and glued inside flap.
Off again soon so will see if works.
 
The spring had snapped on mine but luckily still clipped in at the bottom. I just replaced the whole socket and flap which was about £15 and 20 mins of my labour
 
Found a couple of little magnets, stuck them on, and flap now stays put. Happy.
Wish every fix was this easy. :D
 
Same here. Blutack.
Using Blutack in a campervan always feels sinful to me, but it really does work very well in so many situations. I couldn’t be without it. Of course, I’ve up-levelled my tool box to include both blue and white variations, to provide a choice depending on my mood and the overall aesthetic. :D

(I’ve just read this to my wife, Mrs Acer, expecting her to laugh, but she’s explained that some people might think I’m actually being serious. Well, she’s only half wrong.)
 
Magnets worked for us, until I managed to get it replaced under warranty.
 
Magnetic strip been working well for at least 10years.
 
I blame the husband. He is rubbish at checking the flap is clipped in place before driving off (designated a blue job!)
Appreciate though that the flap doesn't clip in place firmly in the hotter weather but not ready for magnets yet however, thanks for the tip.
 
We went to get Dizzy from storage (6 weeks) the other day, i noticed on the way home that the EHU flap was flapping.

On closer inspection it doesnt appear to clip down any more, but there doesnt appear to be anything broken off it stopping it locking in place. Anyone else had this ? I see there are mutterings on other older threads.

Took her for a service and it looks like it will be warrantied, but in the meantime we popped a couple of small Neodymium magnet discs on the screws at the bottom of the flap and then a small dab (and i mean small using cut off cotton bud stick) of sikaflex on them, pushed the cover down and left them overnight. Works a treat just like the ones on our Hymer.

D.
Same here, do you know the diameter/depth of the magnets you used please
 
Same here, do you know the diameter/depth of the magnets you used please
They look like about 9mm diameter by 1mm thick, they also have a cap that wraps around them which you can separate from the magnet, i think they came from a set of magnets my lad had when he was making some models he had 3d printed the parts . (that probably doesnt make sense).

tbh not much to them, but i can confirm the fix appears good after validation up the motorway at 70mph
 
Magnets : about 6 - 8mm diameter x about 3mm thick- neodymium.

Update: now at home and able to measure exact dimensions of neodymium magnet I used : 5mm diameter x 1.5mm thick
Larger diameter will work just as well

Put them onto the face of the lower two screws, position them correctly, put a small bit of clear silicon sealant on the face (pound shop do small tubes) , close the lid and leave for 24 hours - job done

Post#3 above - 1st link to post
 
Last edited:
Back
Top